Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

So, steve. Between your improved opinion of Kerrigan (if I'm remembering correctly that you weren't a fan of his at the time of the draft), the rave reviews for Jenkins, and the sleeper picks in Gomes, White, and possibly Nield, are you feeling better about this FO's direction? Or at least their ability to draft? Never mind Helu, as we haven't seen enough from him, although he seems like he'll fit very well.

I find it ironic that our draft pick with the most doubt/negativity surrounding his play is also the one that was the most highly praised as a steal and as a great value pick. Not that Hankerson won't turn it around. I just think its funny.

Right now there are three starters on the OL from OU and one more Sooner (for now) in Malcolm Kelly. Only two other colleges boast four Redskins at the moment: Miami, Ohio State, and Nebraska. Interestingly enough, football factories USC, Tennessee, Michigan, and Alabama only have one former player each on our team--less than my own Richmond Spiders (Eric McBride and Tim Hightower) and mighty Portland State (Tony Curtis and Reggie Jones).

It feels like there are as many local area players on the team now as ever. By Maryland and Virginia colleges you've got:

- Hightower & McBride (Richmond)

- Deangelo Hall & Will Montgomery (VT)

- Joe Torchia (UVA)

- Byron Westbrook (Salisbury State)

- Dante Barnes (Norfolk State)

- Kevin Barnes and Josh Wilson (Maryland)

The list gets bigger too when you include guys who grew up or went to HS in the region. I'm too lazy to figure all of that out though.

---------- Post added August-18th-2011 at 07:50 PM ----------

So, steve. Between your improved opinion of Kerrigan (if I'm remembering correctly that you weren't a fan of his at the time of the draft), the rave reviews for Jenkins, and the sleeper picks in Gomes, White, and possibly Nield, are you feeling better about this FO's direction? Or at least their ability to draft? Never mind Helu, as we haven't seen enough from him, although he seems like he'll fit very well.

I find it ironic that our draft pick with the most doubt/negativity surrounding his play is also the one that was the most highly praised as a steal and as a great value pick. Not that Hankerson won't turn it around. I just think its funny.

I think the plan the FO laid out for developing Kerrigan is a smart one that should (I hope) work. I like Kerrigan as a passrusher, not so crazy about Kerrigan the run defender. But his assignments should actually be easier for him as an OLB than as a DE since he'll get to play downhill and pursue the ball more.

Still, Kerrigan wouldn't have been my pick given the options available at 16. Let's say we keep the trade downs--at 16 and 41 I think you can probably go Cameron Jordan and Brooks Reed and be better.

Gomes was a good pick, Helu was a decent one. Unfortunately Robinson probably won't make the team, but I've liked that selection for a while. Evan Royster needs to make this roster somehow IMO. Niles Paul has been better than I expected. Hankerson has been worse than expected, but he'll figure it out. Jenkins has been better than expected too and it's nice that he can play multiple positions whereas a guy like Cameron Jordan can't really do that well.

Brandyn Thompson and Chris Neild have been quiet though. I thought they'd make some more noise than they have. Markus White flashed a couple of times in last week's game, that's more of an impact than I anticipated. Maurice Hurt hasn't drawn any press, not sure what he's been up to. I thought he was a long shot to make the roster from the get go.

All in all I think you've got 8 or 9 rookies who probably deserve to make the roster. I think about seven will, which is much higher than you'd expect in a lockout year:

Locks:

- Kerrigan, Jenkins, Hankerson, Helu, Gomes

Highly probable:

- White, Paul

Solid hopeful

- Royster

Long shots :(

- Robinson, Thompsyn, Neild, Hurt

Does anyone think one of our rookies can win an award? I seriously wouldn't rule out Kerrigan. He was so productive in college, you can't rule him out.

Also, no one thinks a QB will win OROTY? Cam Newton and Andy Dalton will most likely start. I could see Newton winning it if he gets enough rushing yards and touchdowns.

Tris, Patrick Peterson is a much better athlete than Malcolm Jenkins. He's got cornerback speed whereas guys like Antrel Rolle and Jenkins had below average recovery speed for cornerbacks. Arizona just traded DRC, I doubt they'll want to move Peterson from CB. If he's not a good enough athlete/player to stick at corner in the NFL then who is?

If any of our rookies were to win it I would say Kerrigan, I wouldn't rule out an 8 sack season for Ryan as teams will still want to look to double Orakpo until Kerrigan can prove himself as a top end pass rusher. 8 sacks wouldn't win it IMO but he would be in the conversation and if he can come out and do what Brian did his rookie year then he very well could

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Mason Foster win DROY as well steve. Guy's going to be a tackling machine in TB. The question is, does he stay in on passing downs to start the season?

Gotta think he does, he's a perfect Cover 2 fit and Raheem has shown to play young guys a lot if they can prove themselves.

Gotta think he does, he's a perfect Cover 2 fit and Raheem has shown to play young guys a lot if they can prove themselves.

I hope he does. He's gonna be fun to watch, ESPECIALLY if that DL pans out like it can. He'll be one lucky SOB if so.

This has been an incredible thread. Can't wait to dig into the next one.

Im with ya on that....I am counting down the hours till college football season starts and a new comprehensive draft thread also starts. Best thread on extremeskins by far.

Im with ya on that....I am counting down the hours till college football season starts and a new comprehensive draft thread also starts. Best thread on extremeskins by far.

You did get my PM correct? should be up next tuesday or wednesday

---------- Post added August-18th-2011 at 11:20 PM ----------

I hope he does. He's gonna be fun to watch, ESPECIALLY if that DL pans out like it can. He'll be one lucky SOB if so.

Shoot he has a nice DL already if Bowers pans out then that DL could be very special to watch

Yeah he's a good athlete. More than that, he reads his keys terrifically well. Usually the Mike stays in for nickel. He'll probably come off for dime situations like most MLBs, particularly since they've got a small fast guy at WLB in Geno Hayes who is pretty good.

I really like the defense they've put together. Hayes and Foster are a nice pair at the second level. Clayborn--McCoy--Price--Bowers is an amazingly talented defensive line and I love Roy Miller, Al Woods, and Frank Okam all in there in the mix. They're not as spectacularly talented at the top as Detroit. But they've got the best overall interior group from top to bottom and all of them are 25 or younger. They've got a decent secondary too. They'll be good once they get it all figured out. But the Patriots showed them what a contender firing on all cylinders looks like.

And its fitting that dukes gets the first post on the 1,000th page.

Shoot, when you started this thread you were the new guy on ES dukes. Now you're a staple, buddy.

Its crazy to go back and think about this when it first started and see it now reach this and how I've gone from some guy to someone who's tweets are being posted from camp and people ask questions to :ols: I truly am humbled though by it all, and it just makes me work that much harder

This thread has been fantastic. It's one of the most wideranging conversations on the draft I've ever seen or partaken in.

When we start the 2012 database next week, that'll begin the third year in a row we've done something like this on ES. IMO we've all created one of the most interesting and insightful fan driven forums for NFL draft talk around. With a Redskins tilt :). I seriously believe our conversations are better than a lot of the dreck you get on NFL Draft specific forums like Walterfootball (I actually like Walter himself, but his forums are full of know it all *******s). That's awesome.

I'm glad we have threads like this and that I've had everyone here to talk to about the draft. Nobody in my daily life cares about the NFL draft. I'd go insane if I didn't have some group of people who loved it as much as I do to share my observations and opinions with. Thanks everybody for making this such a great thread.

This thread is like a HOF running back trying to make a comeback at 37 years of age. Its almost like you guys are forcing the thread to reach 1000 pages by talking about non draft related stuff and congratulating. Lets end this thread the way it is supposed to be ended and talk about players from the 2010 draft. Now with that said...

Wright reports that Baldwin will likely miss the rest of the preseason after injuring his wrist during a locker room scuffle with teammate Thomas Jones. Baldwin’s work ethic has reportedly been an issue.

“He’s as advertised,” a source tells Wright. “Diva, spoiled, doesn’t wanna listen. Can run a Go and a Slant, and doesn’t wanna work.”

This thread is like a HOF running back trying to make a comeback at 37 years of age. Its almost like you guys are forcing the thread to reach 1000 pages by talking about non draft related stuff and congratulating. Lets end this thread the way it is supposed to be ended and talk about players from the 2010 draft. Now with that said...

You have to be the poster that contributes the least to this thread, and the conversations therein, who demands the most from it, in one way or another. Jesus Christ dude.

You have to be the poster that contributes the least to this thread, and the conversations therein, who demands the most from it, in one way or another. Jesus Christ dude.

This is a place to discuss college football prospects. Some of you guys got carried away (like yourself) with it and decided to turn it into a scout notebook. Since then the random poster can't come in here and voice something random about a random player without someone saying "oh that is all you got to say??? analysis please"

This is a place to discuss college football prospects. Some of you guys got carried away (like yourself) with it and decided to turn it into a scout notebook. Since then the random poster can't come in here and voice something random about a random player without someone saying "oh that is all you got to say??? analysis please"

Last time I checked, you did not create this thread. Nor have you been a valued contributor to it, as I've already pointed out. No offense. But you constantly whine about the thread, or demand things related to it. You are unreasonable and obnoxious, and I have no problem saying so. Those who contribute so much to this thread and this forum can decide what they like about their own discussions, I think. So pardon me if I say that this thread can be whatever the **** dukes, steve, Tris, dg, etc. want it to be.

I don't know who the hell you are to be saying what the thread was "supposed" to be before we got "carried away" and turned it into something else (in your opinion).

The random poster can come in here (and the next thread) and say whatever they want about whatever prospect they want. Its just expected that they have reasons, and can explain why they see what they see, or think they see. Shouldn't that be the goal of every thread? What's the point of just popping in, saying "Luck's sick!", and leaving?

This makes me feel a little better about Trent's up and down performances last season:

3.) Struggles of a Rookie Tackle

Tyron Smith might be great as a rookie but let’s just say there’s not much of a precedent for it. Russell Okung (31st overall), Rodger Saffold (49th), Zane Beadles (53rd), Trent Williams (65th), Jared Veldheer (68th), Bryan Bulaga (69th) and Anthony Davis (71st) all had trouble making a consistent positive impact as they transitioned to the pros last season. Not one rookie offensive tackle who played at least 25% of snaps had a positive overall grade and most of them made our bottom 15 list for pass blocking efficiency. Considering the fact Smith was thought to be raw coming out of college, it’ll surely be a surprise if gets up to speed quickly.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/08/19/pff-preview-2011-dallas-cowboys/

So it's entirely normal for rookie offensive tackles to struggle hard. It make me feel good to see that Saffold, Veldheer, and Okung weren't all that great either.

The good rookie seasons from Joe Thomas and Jake Long were flukey and not the norm, even for tackles who end up being pretty good. They're clearly just the superlative players at the position that are already stacking up HoF credentials.

Archived