Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Anybody!

He's #66. I didn't see him in the game at all. If he played, I didn't notice him.

---------- Post added August-14th-2011 at 02:32 AM ----------

Hightower has taken well to the offense. In a couple weeks, he'll probably know the blocking scheme and route trees as well as Torain. Hightower has easily got to be one of the smartest HBs in the league. A Richmond man through and through.

I'm not sure if it was Helu or Royster, but one of the second string backs did a nice job in blitz pickup last night.

If last night's game was an indicator, Royster actually looks like he's higher on the depth chart than Helu. I'm not sure what Torain does better than any of the other backs on the roster.

---------- Post added August-14th-2011 at 02:36 AM ----------

Also, I'm definitely feeling Stephen Bowen wearing Dexter Manley's number. And another thought I had last night: is Fred Davis' listing for real? There's no way he's 258 out there. He looks like a big WR. He looked really good last night IMO. Oh and that Mundy defensive back for the Steelers is a dirty ****er.

He's #66. I didn't see him in the game at all. If he played, I didn't notice him.

I'm not sure if it was Helu or Royster, but one of the second string backs did a nice job in blitz pickup last night.

If last night's game was an indicator, Royster actually looks like he's higher on the depth chart than Helu. I'm not sure what Torain does better than any of the other backs on the roster.

I think I recall seeing Neild play.

And as for Royster, I think the coaches know what they have in Helu and they just wanted to see what they had in Royster, so he got the bulk of the carries.

I think I recall seeing Neild play.

And as for Royster, I think the coaches know what they have in Helu and they just wanted to see what they had in Royster, so he got the bulk of the carries.

Also was reminded that Mike last year gave guys like Larry and Willie full games to show their case, maybe we saw that with Royster and next week will see it with Helu

---------- Post added August-14th-2011 at 02:15 PM ----------

Royster looks like a guy who's going be on the practice squad. To think he's a better option than Torain is ridiculous at this point.

To be fair one actually has been healthy throughout his college career while the other seems to be hurt every week

Royster looks like a guy who's going be on the practice squad. To think he's a better option than Torain is ridiculous at this point.

Based on what? It's not as if Torain is Adrian Peterson. He only had what, 3 100 yard games last year? People are overrating Torain. I like the guy, but if Royster plays well the rest of camp, I'd have no problem with the 3 RBs on week 1 roster being Hightower, Helu, and Royster.

What does Torain do that separates him from Royster?

Based on what? It's not as if Torain is Adrian Peterson. He only had what, 3 100 yard games last year? People are overrating Torain. I like the guy, but if Royster plays well the rest of camp, I'd have no problem with the 3 RBs on week 1 roster being Hightower, Helu, and Royster.

What does Torain do that separates him from Royster?

Royster didn't look that great. At least you can put him on the practice squad and still have him for next season. And while Torain wasn't an all-star last season, he did average more per carry over the 10 games he played in than Royster did in one preseason game against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Lol. Royster averaged 4.4 yards, Torain averaged 4.5. If that's the only argument you have... And if I recall, Torain in his first preseason game averaged around 3.5 yards a carry. It was Royster's first, and he had more yards on fewer carries in his first preseason game. Against the best run defense from last year, too, I might add. Although it was mostly backups,

Care to explain why?

Keep in mind Torain was a practice squad guy up until last season when he was finally able to crack a roster filled with broken down aging HBs.

What exactly about Torain's three year career makes you think he's a better option or bigger talent than Royster? His multiple knee surgeries? His 811 career rushing yards? His 33 ranking in DYAR or 30th ranking in DVOA last season (suggesting he was slightly less valuable than a league average replacement)?

Torain isn't that good yet a lot of Redskins fans really seem to have latched onto him. I think Royster is a flat out better running back.

Care to explain why?

Keep in mind Torain was a practice squad guy up until last season when he was finally able to crack a roster filled with broken down aging HBs.

What exactly about Torain's three year career makes you think he's a better option or bigger talent than Royster? His multiple knee surgeries? His 811 career rushing yards? His 33 ranking in DYAR or 30th ranking in DVOA last season (suggesting he was slightly less valuable than a league average replacement)?

Torain isn't that good yet a lot of Redskins fans really seem to have latched onto him. I think Royster is a flat out better running back.

What's the rush? I saw a guy who played well, but he's probably not going to make a huge impact in his rookie year. At least we saw how Torain can have 100+ yard games and even be dominant at times. I didn't see anything in Royster that blew me away. I'm not counting anything out, but don't get how you guys are this excited after seeing Royster in that game?

Torain has experience in the offense, and what does the team lose if he gets injured? They can just promote Royster from the practice squad couldn't they?

What's the rush? I saw a guy who played well, but he's probably not going to make a huge impact in his rookie year. At least we saw how Torain can have 100+ yard games and even be dominant at times. I didn't see anything in Royster that blew me away. I'm not counting anything out, but don't get how you guys are this excited after seeing Royster in that game?

Torain has experience in the offense, and what does the team lose if he gets injured? They can just promote Royster from the practice squad couldn't they?

Personally, my high opinion of Royster is based mostly off of his college career. It was impressive stuff. He had huge production in a big time conference and has a nice skillset. I see a lot of the same things in his game that I liked about Ryan Matthews and Matt Forte. Granted, I also see some of the same things I don't like about those two in his game. But overall, he's got a high talent level, and IMO, is a more talented runner than Torain.

Torain's injuries are a problem. He's already hurt and a broken hand will effect his comfort level holding and catching the ball at a minimum. Beyond that, Torain has had elbow, ACL, and hamstring injuries, with at least one serious injury each year of his career. He's probably got as much milage on his body as a back with four or five times his number of carries. When you carry an injured player onto the roster over healthier options you go into the season at a disadvantage. There's no point in doing that, and you risk another team poaching your draft picks when you cut them to try and slide them onto the PS.

Royster has a nice, smooth game. He's instinctive, smart, hard running, with nice balance and solid hands. He also looked pretty good picking up the blitz in the second half. He's a little upright and doesn't have elite lateral quicks but he's decisive, can hit his crease at full speed and as such, is a really nice fit within our offense. Plus he's a local kid. If Helu is your change of pace back, keep Royster as your primary lead backup and if Hightower goes down you've got a plug and play replacement clone of him in Royster.

Torain isn't reliable. The tweener body type and running style, the dancing (which suggests poor vision to me), the injuries--all of that together makes him expendable IMO.

---------- Post added August-14th-2011 at 06:05 PM ----------

I also thought Kerrigan looked very good the other night. Very high energy, fairly comfortable playing the run, and from what the coaches have said about him, it seems like they've got an excellent plan for developing him successfully.

Kerrigan's comfort level against the run is something to keep an eye on. In college, he wasn't really as good a run defender as his numbers might indicate and I thought he was a much better pass rusher than run defender. It could be that the move to linebacker will actually benefit him by making him a more complete player and give him more manageable run defense assignments.

Kerrigan's motor is going to make him an easy fan favorite.

He also looked enormous, much bulkier than Orakpo despite a similar listing. Then again, Orakpo has always been very tapered and maybe even a little narrow at the waist.

This might seem crazy but I wouldn't be surprised if Kerrigan gets more sacks next season than Orakpo does. It would come as a result of him possibly getting more pass rushing opportunities than Orakpo. They seem intent on giving Orakpo the most difficult OLB assigments given his superior athleticism and comfort level in the defense which could actually cause a dip in his numbers despite the fact that he'd be a more complete and more impactful player.

There really isn't a true post-game thread or if there is I didn't see it.

So....

Is it me or does Rocky look hesitant out there?

I think Rocky is in danger of losing his job to Fox and watching him(Rocky) last game reminds me of why I thought Rocky wouldn't be brought back.

Also, the defense scheme seems a lot more aggresive then last year.

Is it the influence of Lou Spanos or the influx of talent or both?

Whatever it is I like it.

Oh, did you see when Helu stuck his foot in the ground when he caught that swing pass?

When that kid sticks his foot in the ground, wow he's gettin somewhere in a hurry.

There really isn't a true post-game thread or if there is I didn't see it.

So....

Is it me or does Rocky look hesitant out there?

I think Rocky is in danger of losing his job to Fox and watching him(Rocky) last game reminds me of why I thought Rocky wouldn't be brought back.

Also, the defense scheme seems a lot more aggresive then last year.

Is it the influence of Lou Spanos or the influx of talent or both?

Whatever it is I like it.

I think its more of the influx of dynamic talent is why we're seeing an aggressive team. Haslett has the dogs he wants on the DL and the OLB's that can make plays so he's dialing up the plays he's wanted to, but couldn't. As for Rocky at practice he looked more comfortable in the scheme but I do think we'll end up seeing Riley become the starting ILB opposite of Fletcher week one. Rocky provides solid depth and special teams ability that we need to have

I think its more of the influx of dynamic talent is why we're seeing an aggressive team. Haslett has the dogs he wants on the DL and the OLB's that can make plays so he's dialing up the plays he's wanted to, but couldn't. As for Rocky at practice he looked more comfortable in the scheme but I do think we'll end up seeing Riley become the starting ILB opposite of Fletcher week one. Rocky provides solid depth and special teams ability that we need to have
But I also noticed the increased aggressive in the last 3 games of the season.

It also seems like we're doing more Steeleresque stunting and slanting upfront and less 2-gap read.

I think Fox will have a leg up over Riley because more and more it looks like we're running the Steelers defense and Fox worked with Spanos and knows the scheme.

But I also noticed the increased aggressive in the last 3 games of the season.

It also seems like we're doing more Steeleresque stunting and slanting upfront and less 2-gap read.

I think Fox will have a leg up over Riley because more and more it looks like we're running the Steelers defense and Fox worked with Spanos and knows the scheme.

I mean we really are running the steelers D as its what Haslett ran while D Coordinator in Pitt, STL(although a 4-3 version of it) and NO(another 4-3 version)

I mean you could say Spanos has an influence but I also think its more of Haslett just saying "look I wanna run it this way lets just run it this way". That led to Rob Jackson having a big game vs Jacksonville. Carriker playing at a high level. I'm not saying he tried one thing and it failed, but more so he just let the dogs go and went to more stunting 1 gap style

I mean we really are running the steelers D as its what Haslett ran while D Coordinator in Pitt, STL(although a 4-3 version of it) and NO(another 4-3 version)

Right, now it looks like we're running more of a true fax of the Steelers scheme.

But last year we did a lot of 2-gap read, and the personnel then was still better suited to slanting/stunting.

I mean you could say Spanos has an influence but I also think its more of Haslett just saying "look I wanna run it this way lets just run it this way". That led to Rob Jackson having a big game vs Jacksonville. Carriker playing at a high level. I'm not saying he tried one thing and it failed, but more so he just let the dogs go and went to more stunting 1 gap style
My question seeks to address if there's been a change in scheme and if so what is the genesis? Imo the 2 styles are so different that I think they come from 2 different people.

I guess we'll never know the cause of the changes unless the coaches talk about it.

I just wondered if anybody noticed and thought it was Spanos influence coming through.

Right, now it looks like we're running more of a true fax of the Steelers scheme.

But last year we did a lot of 2-gap read, and the personnel then was still better suited to slanting/stunting.

And my question seeks to address if there's been a change in scheme and if so what is the genesis? Imo the 2 styles are so different that I think they come from 2 different people.

I guess we'll never know the cause of the changes unless the coaches talk about it.

Thats how I am too we'll never know what the cause is and yes Spanos is one that seems to explain some, but I dont see it DG they were doing it last year with him being the LB coach. I think my only guess is that Hass started to get his guys he really liked and went back to his roots but who knows man

Not just the OLBs and DLs either (although we have much better pass rushers in the front seven as a whole this season). We showed a lot of effective corner and safety blitzes last night too. Gomes and Barnes had nice sacks, and when Landry gets back, that could be three defensive backs who get multi sack seasons.

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 08:21 AM ----------

I think the acquisitions of Cofield and Bowen were a clear signal we're gearing our personnel up to run a one gap scheme heavy on the stunting. I also think you're going to see a lot of four man lines this year, and maybe even some three safety sets. The second ILB spot is a little soft and that guy might not get a whole bunch of snaps.

Our apparent change in scheme could explained by something as simple as trial and error DG.

One thing I've definitely noticed is how much bigger our defense has gotten the past two seasons. We've got a lot of big bodies now and I like the change. It's well suited for our environment and our division, especially in bad weather. When our new pieces gel, I think our defense is going to be very good at controlling the line of scrimmage.

Watching some of the younger players friday, got me thinking about some draft critisim I keep reading about Shanny. ATM (and it is way early to assume anything is a lock) I love Shanny's early draft picks. Yes one could point to some mistakes, but if Shanny hits on T. Williams (LT stud), Kerrigan, and now Jenkins (who alot did not like this pick), that would certainly be a change for the skins. Again it is early, but I for one am very encouraged by Shanny's draft picks early on. You keep this core, add another solid or 2 next year and really are starting to look at some nice depth of young talent potentially.

But guys, ASF said McElroy was gonna be the next Tom Brady!!! This can not be!

Also, this guy thinks Landry Jones is 4th round talent. http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=5546

Wow, I know the quality of internet draft assessments has gone down but wow that's a pretty weak assessment, I don't even think its fair to call that an assessment.

That's worse then some of Maguire's assessments.

Wow, I know the quality of internet draft assessments has gone down but wow that's a pretty weak assessment, I don't even think its fair to call that an assessment.

That's worse then some of Maguire's assessments.

It doesn't even make sense, and is downright wrong in some cases.

Either way, methinks it's time for the 2012 version.

D&S, get on it...

Archived