Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DCSB: Snyder takes responsibility for Zorn hiring (MUST READ!!!)

SkinsHokieFan

About damn time Dan. I still think he owes the fans a personal apology for the last 11 years

Some great great stuff in this interview with Hogs Haven. Outstanding interview

Dan's best quote?

"The front office has changed"

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/08/snyder_takes_responsibility_fo.html

Snyder takes responsibility for Zorn hiring

When the Redskins hired Jim Zorn, Daniel Snyder described him as "the right guy." Evidently not; two years later, Zorn was fired, after one of the most embarrassing seasons in franchise history.

I haven't heard much self-doubt from Snyder on this issue, but he provided plenty in his interview with the bloggers from Hogs Haven Tuesday night.

"It starts with me," he said, of his decision to fire Zorn. "It starts with really understanding where we were as a franchise, understanding that hey, I made a wrong decision...admitting that to yourself."

He returned to the topic later, when asked about getting blamed for the Redskins' on-field woes.

"You know...you're responsible as the owner of the team... so because you own the team, it's your fault," Snyder said. "On the other hand, I don't look at it that way. I really see this as a stewardship...it's something that the fans own the team and my responsibility is to try and do the right thing. I think Joe Gibbs...for four years you didn't hear anything about me, and when someone would say anything, Joe would go and say, "Let me tell you what the truth because we better be clear." And then I hired a rookie head coach and we went in a...poor direction. It's the past and I look forward to the future. I've got myself a Hall of Fame head coach, and a fantastic General Manager so we're in good hands."

Click link for rest

We're all humans. I don't hate Dan, and I don't like to bash him either. As humans, we all have to learn from experiences.. maybe it took him a little longer, but i'm glad to see the progress. Makes me feel optimistic for this year and for the future. When a rich owner gives this kind of attitude, good things happen

I know that there will be cynics and sceptics about what was said, but I think that Daniel Snyder has been brought down to earth and humbled by the play/record of the team over the past season and a half and the outcry of disappointment voiced and shown by the fans last season. I think this article is very telling and Snyder is very poignant about how he HAS changed and the Redskins have changed for the better and are moving forward. Great to hear. Great read!

One of the revealing quotes came when Snyder said, after Gibbs retired, he "sort of" promoted Vinny to GM and said "We did, together, interview coaches.....but I'm not a football guy......I can't tell if they're qualified." Sounds to me like Vinny is being blamed.

But it is good that we now have a GM with some pedigree. However, one of the constant themes throughout various discussions that Snyder has had this offseason has been recognizing the importance of an "experienced, established coach." As I've said before, at some point (lets hope its at least seven or so years away) we are going to have another head coaching vacancy, and I hope Dan isn't afraid to ultimately take a chance on another relative unknown who might wind up being the next Joe Gibbs of 1981.

He doesn't owe me a apology. I choose to root for the team or not. I like some of the things he did, some I didn't. His bottom line was trying to win.
Very well put.

My thoughts as well which is why I never posted in the many Hate Dan threads, however he definitely could have done some things better.

...at some point (lets hope its at least seven or so years away) we are going to have another head coaching vacancy, and I hope Dan isn't afraid to ultimately take a chance on another relative unknown who might wind up being the next Joe Gibbs of 1981.
Let's hope it works out to where his name is Kyle Shanahan.

I remember early on in the Snyder era someone talking about how owners have to learn to be owners just like players have to learn their position. I really don't think most fans could've done much if any better than he has. But try to convince them of that

The man has no class whatsoever. He cheap-shots Zorn, but won't admit that he and his weasel undermined Zorn's authority at every turn.
I'm not sure that using a true, honest-to-God, factual example of how someone was obviously not qualified can be considered a cheap-shot; unless, of course, your motive is to take a cheap-shot yourself at the owner.

Let's hope it works out to where his name is Kyle Shanahan.

Absofrigginlutely. I was very vocal in my distaste for Snyder for a LONG time, but I'm excited to see the guy turn it around. I don't think anyone ever doubted that he WANTED to win, I just don't know that he knew HOW to win. But he's admitted he's made the mistakes (as we all have) and he's really done some fantastic things to get this franchise pointed in the right direction. At the end of the day, I've done a full 180 and I'd take Snyder over the vast majority of the owners in the league because at least he's willing to shell out the $$$ to make this success happen (and it WILL soon)...

He's always been about helping this team. I admire that. Has he made mistakes? yeah, plenty. But he seems to have gotten it now. Allen/Shanahan is as good of a decision as one can make. Let's see how this one plays out.

Yeah, we all thought he'd 'got it' when he hired Marty, we thought 'he's finally got it' when he re-hired Gibbs, let's just see how this pans out.

I'm not sure that using a true, honest-to-God, factual example of how someone was obviously not qualified can be considered a cheap-shot; unless, of course, your motive is to take a cheap-shot yourself at the owner.

Welcome to the board!

. . . and welcome to Oldfan. :)

Great move, Snyder. Looks like you paid attention to the movement!

My motive is fairness. If you would care to search my posting history, you will find me being accused of being a shill for the organization when I defended Snyder and Cerrato from unfair criticism.

Zorn, his former employee is gone. He doesn't deserve to have his most embarrassing moment wielded against him by his ex-employer. As a man, Jim Zorn is pure class. Snyder could have learned from him.

He's been a Skins fan since childhood. Even through his failures, I've always seen him as just one of us having the chance to own a team and you know damn well, if one of us owned the team, we would think we knew what was best for the team. He's learned from mistakes and it looks like he will get this ship turned around. I think he will in due time and I think the most important thing is that he CARES about winning. At least he dishes out the money and isn't a cheap owner who only cares about making a profit.

I apologize to Dan for going over the top during "sign-gate" and questioning him as a man. In hindsight, it was a bit much. But part of my anger was based off of the fact that I have always had Dan's back. I would always defend the guy saying that one day he would get it. "Sign-gate" was the moment for me where I thought had an epiphany; the "haters" were right.

In reality, I think it was that period of justified anger that Dan may have actually "got it." I think seeing the fan boycott, the loyal fans turn against him, the "Fire Snyder" bumper stickers, signs, and T-shirts, and the less than capacity crowds at the end of the season made him realize that if something didn't change, the Redskins would cease to exist. When he brought in Bruce at the end of the season, he was sending us a huge memo saying that he conceeds his incompetence or at least Vinny's. Then he brought in a coach who gets along with him that he can trust in Shanahan.

The best thing that George Steinbrenner did with the Yankees was nothing; he said screw it and focused on the business end of his job and let the baseball guys make those decisions. He had his epiphany when he was suspended. Hopefully, Dan has turned a similar corner. I now say what I have always said about Dan until "sign-gate", one day he will be the best owner in the league - he just has to learn to stay out of his way. I think that day is coming soon if it's not here already.

My motive is fairness. If you would care to search my posting history, you will find me being accused of being a shill for the organization when I defended Snyder and Cerrato from unfair criticism.

Zorn, his former employee is gone. He doesn't deserve to have his most embarrassing moment wielded against him by his ex-employer. As a man, Jim Zorn is pure class. Snyder could have learned from him.

I agree. Zorn was far from a good head coach. But I respect him alot, because he showed nothing but class.

The true test of whether or not Dan 'gets it' is if things don't get off to a great start, or if we finish 6-10 or worse, will the 'new' Dan Synder show some patience, will he be able to keep himslef away from from his toy? Dan's greatest test is yet to come.

Archived