Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Redskins training camp power rankings

themurf

Murf, you're one of my favorites on the board. But your man-crush on K. Moore is glaring.. :ols:....Seriously though, i'm not sure if i can blame you.

I think you're forgetting that my website was the one that nicknamed Chris Horton "The Predator." If ever there was a safety I'm in the tank for, it's him. I just think Moore has a nose for the ball on a defense that has been incapable of creating turnovers. His three picks in two days is just the latest example of that. If he can play at this level once the regular season rolls around, the defense will be in good shape.

One final thought on the safeties: this morning I woke up with the crazy idea of using Moore and Horton as your starting safeties and moving Landry to linebacker full time. Doughty would be your super sub who can spell either Moore or Horton and Landry can do what he loves best - play up near the line of scrimmage and blow people up.

Why wouldn't this work?

One thing we can't say bad about Vinny is how we drafted Safeties during his tenure here. Landry, Moore, Horton, Doughty, and of course... the one they call Sean Taylor.

If we were close to being as good at drafting other positions like we were at Safety this team would be ridiculously stocked by now. You can make an argument for TE as well... but since you don't keep so many of them it's hard to tell, and we used high picks on both of our top guys.

Penciling in a Rams cast off as our starter puzzled me to the point that I went and did some reading on his time in St. Louis, and some speculation around why he was let go for so cheap. I was encouraged to get the following insight, and hope its true:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/381653-st-louis-rams-deal-adam-carriker-to-washington-for-a-5th

Whatever the case may be, this is precious little compensation for a former 1st rounder who carries no legal baggage. This move looks suspiciously like a contract dump. In trading Carriker, the Rams will unload a former 1st rounder's paycheck.

The trade is no surprise. It has been rumored for several weeks now by Adam Schefter (ESPN) and Jason La Canfora (NFL Network). Carriker is considered a natural 5-technique by Mike Mayock, chief draft scout for NFL Films. The 5-Technique is the defensive end in 3-4 scheme. The Rams have been playing him out-of-position throughout his career in St. Louis. In Washington, Carriker will have his first shot at playing defensive end in the NFL.

Don't be surprised if Carriker shines. The Rams have a lamentable history of releasing, trading and not signing 1st Round defensive linemen. Sean Gilbert, Kevin Carter, Jimmy Kennedy, Ryan Pickett, and Damione Lewis are a few of the others. Most of those players have shined or...

Penciling in a Rams cast off as our starter puzzled me to the point that I went and did some reading on his time in St. Louis, and some speculation around why he was let go for so cheap. I was encouraged to get the following insight, and hope its true:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/381653-st-louis-rams-deal-adam-carriker-to-washington-for-a-5th

I'm actually writing something on Carriker for tomorrow. I had my first chance to chat with him today and walked away very impressed with the guy. He's thrilled to be here and can't stop talking about how much he loves his new teammates and the defense they're going to run this year.

I was hoping to hear better news about KemoEATu, but real excited to hear that Kareem Moore is killing it at safety. I was worried about who would play along side Landry, but it sounds like we may have found a gem

agreed, even though Kareem had that bonehead play against N.O. last year, I remember him making some good plays the past couple years on special teams and spot duty.

Would love to see this guy have a break out year and cover the back line for us. Excited to see what Carriker can do as well.

Hopefully DT continues to improve each day of camp, the guy has the talent and the work ethic to be great ... but he needs to get his mind right.

Malcomb is a huge disappointment ... and maybe his "degenerative knee condition" will not be the cause of his inability to get on the field. but the guy can't run without pulling a muscle. Bottom line is he can't get healthy enough to play, and when he does get on the field, he gets hurt again.

I also hope there is a place on this team for 2 pro-bowl TE's :) ... because I would hate to think of Cooley in another uniform, especially and NFC uni ... and I think Fred Davis will have a breakout year (I have visions of Shannon Sharpe in my head, I know I know that's a little much). But am stoked that Davis continues to look like good draft pick. HAIL ... let's get this started!

One final thought on the safeties: this morning I woke up with the crazy idea of using Moore and Horton as your starting safeties and moving Landry to linebacker full time. Doughty would be your super sub who can spell either Moore or Horton and Landry can do what he loves best - play up near the line of scrimmage and blow people up.

Why wouldn't this work?

Sounds good (speaking of Horton and Moore) but do you think that Landry could handle that sort of pounding? I know he's added some muscle over the offseason, but It doesn't seem that he has a LBs frame, especially if he has to shed Oline blocks. :whoknows:

Laron can play a cover LB spot in the 4-2-5 or the 3-3-5. He'll still be on the field 25 snaps a game even if he isn't starting at SS. And Doughty is simply a better SS. If Doughty is a better SS than Landry, and Moore is a better FS than Landry, how do you give Landry a starting safety job?

Nicely balanced article - for all the stories that this team is coming along nicely and the inevitable, slightly blinkered excitement it brings, we need to hear about the players who "must do better" to temper our expectations.

Is it just me though, or are some of the reports out there conflicting - Ma'ake is supposed to be the definitive choice at NT, which would imply he's doing well and some people are less hot on Barnes. Guess it depends on what your expectations of a player are and what type of play you want out of them. As you said, it's just one man's perspective and it's an interesting one.

(p.s. can't wait for the season to start so I can see how this new-look team pans out.At least some great threads on this site are helping to pass the time more quickly!)

Thanks for the insight. Kareem Moore is a guy I've been high on since the day we drafted him. He was obviously a project but he has the athleticism to really excell in the secondary. He and Laron should make a great tandem. I'm also of the belief that Carlos Rogers is about to have a career year. He has quietly been a very good corner and in my opinion the best cover corner this team has had since he's been here. I'm excited to see how he benefits from some new coaches and a regained confidence.

Not yet. Clinton Portis looks slimmer and quicker, and by all accounts, he's highly motivated to show folks he's still got plenty of football. That's why I'm thinking Portis will be the lead back. That being said, Johnson appears ideal to be the guy who runs over defenders on short-yardage downs and in goal-line situations. They really have a chance to compliment the hell out of each other.

Good comment. Johnson is certainly an upgrade over Betts. Its like night and day. Part of the problem with Betts was that he would easily get tripped up @ the LOS. Plus he had his occasional problems with holding onto the ball in critical situations. Johnson, though he may have lost a step, will def take advatage of the downhill game.

Thanks for the insight. Kareem Moore is a guy I've been high on since the day we drafted him. He was obviously a project but he has the athleticism to really excell in the secondary. He and Laron should make a great tandem.

I will admit that I slept on Kareem at first, but it seemed that every time he was involved in a play, something good happened. He's also turned into one of those DBs who has a rare mixture of athleticism and stregth to lay a hard hit. I really like his versatility.

Nicely balanced article - for all the stories that this team is coming along nicely and the inevitable, slightly blinkered excitement it brings, we need to hear about the players who "must do better" to temper our expectations.

Is it just me though, or are some of the reports out there conflicting - Ma'ake is supposed to be the definitive choice at NT, which would imply he's doing well and some people are less hot on Barnes. Guess it depends on what your expectations of a player are and what type of play you want out of them. As you said, it's just one man's perspective and it's an interesting one.

(p.s. can't wait for the season to start so I can see how this new-look team pans out.At least some great threads on this site are helping to pass the time more quickly!)

I'm not implying that Kemoeatu has been a bust. He's been far from it. But there is a definite need for a nose tackle on this defense and he's got the best chance to fill that void. The issue is he's about 25-30 lbs. overweight and he's admits he's only going at about 60 percent right now, which means he hasn't exactly seized the opportunity yet.

For those reasons, I included him on the list. As far as Barnes, he's done an above average job against the run - playing aggressively and even stripping a player or two. But he still looks lost in times in coverage. If he gets it together in the passing game like he's done so far against the run, he'll be seeing plenty of playing time.

I will admit that I slept on Kareem at first, but it seemed that every time he was involved in a play, something good happened. He's also turned into one of those DBs who has a rare mixture of athleticism and stregth to lay a hard hit. I really like his versatility.

The most underrated part of Kareem Moore's game is his ability to lay the wood on an unsuspecting receiver. Dude knows how to hit somebody, even if he looks unassuming at first glance.

As long as he learned to hold onto a ball after a INT I'm happy.:ols:

His teammates were ragging on him earlier this week about that. He picked off a McNabb pass and a few guys started yelling, "Watch out! Robert Meachem is coming! Meachem is coming!"

It was pretty funny stuff.

The most underrated part of Kareem Moore's game is his ability to lay the wood on an unsuspecting receiver. Dude knows how to hit somebody, even if he looks unassuming at first glance.

didn't Kareem let Ocho Cinco know who he was a couple years ago in Cinci? I've seen that guy lay a few solid hits.

I'm sad to see tryon on the disapointed list :( I really think that kid has a lot of potential, and is definitely putting in the work. Hopefully this seasoned coaching staff can get the light to turn on for him. If him and barnes can step up and be the future CB's on this team, then that goes a long way towards locking up a position. Carlos and Hall aren't bad - but they're getting older, and there will only be more contract disputes down the road. Given Shanahan and Allen's trends, I'd be willing to bet both of them are shipped out in the next few years solely based on contract issues...

Agreed here. I'd love to not see us use a draft pick on a DB for a couple of years :doh:

But I disagree with part of it: Hall is still only 25/26 (amazing, huh?) and we just gave him a long-term deal last year.

So if he behaves and plays well, he should be starting for us for years. Its the 28 year old Rogers that could be a concern, depending on if he plays as well as I think he can/gets a new contract because of it.

Archived