Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Redskins training camp power rankings

themurf

My silly mobile won't let me edit...Fred Davis is some serious trade bait....

Nononononononononono

In a league where the mismatch is the goal of everyone, having two legit threats at Tight End is an amazing advantage. Defenses won't know who's running a route and who's blocking, and they won't be able to match up if both go out on routes.

So you think more yards for CP, more TDs for Johnson?

That is absolutely how I think this season will play out. And after talking to some of the players, they seem to agree. If that's the case, then you don't even really need Willie Parker or Brian Westbrook. Keep Ryan Torain as a third option and let your two workhorses (a.k.a. Porta-John) handle the rest.

That is absolutely how I think this season will play out. And after talking to some of the players, they seem to agree. If that's the case, then you don't even really need Willie Parker or Brian Westbrook. Keep Ryan Torain as a third option and let your two workhorses (a.k.a. Porta-John) handle the rest.

I would love that threesome at RB since we'd have a potential replacement on the roster.

I would love that threesome at RB since we'd have a potential replacement on the roster.

To be fair, Parker has looked much better the last two or three days, but he's definitely been outplayed been Portis and Johnson thus far.

Really an excellent article.

Of note is that the two WRs mentioned are both small...one's got a great track record, the other is a rookie - drafted as a ST guy.

The third WR mentioned is likely on his way out.

So, basically, we're in the same boat we were in three years ago when Vinny used to high picks for guys who look like total busts.

Fortunately, once training camp cuts begin in earnest, there should be a decent veteran or two we can pick up.

Otherwise, regardless of the scheme, we'll end up with guys who can't separate and could get our qb killed.

Deja vu.

Not totally true. Fred Davis looked really good last season and looks better this offseason (except for blocking). Lots of two TE sets.

This should enable us to be a run first team, and when we pass out of a run formation, all our guys can catch. There are very very few teams in the NFL that can do this effectively. The Cowgirls want to do this with Bennett and Witten, but Bennett isn't coming along like everything thinks he should.

I like Cooley and he has done a lot for this team, but I don't think he's as great as everyone says he is. He can catch the ball and he's very reliable, but I think the dude is very slow. He kinda reminds me of Riggo, but slower and less power. I think Sleepy (can we still call him that) will eventually be the leading, go to TE.

You're thinking in purely a pass-catching perspective. Cooley has improved his blocking a lot, and right now, he's miles better than Fred Davis in that regard.

I was surprised how much better he looked at blocking last season.

Great article!

I'm disappointed about Kemo too. Is it just because he hasn't made any big plays or is he getting destroyed in camp? The guy's just supposed to be a space eater right?

??, good questions, anyone going to answer them or take a stab at em?

Nononononononononono

In a league where the mismatch is the goal of everyone, having two legit threats at Tight End is an amazing advantage. Defenses won't know who's running a route and who's blocking, and they won't be able to match up if both go out on routes.

Completely agree. A lot of teams have tried having two great TE's, we're on the cusp of actually being able to do it. We'll give opposing defenses HEADACHES trying to gameplan for just the TE's.

From my understanding, NTs main job is to occupy the center and one of the guards, which will allow one of the ILBs to make plays. From what I've read, Kemo is doing that extremely well. When left in a one v one situation, most NTs will make a play in the backfield, they're just too much mass for one lineman to block, especially the center, who has to deal with the snap too.

To be fair, Parker has looked much better the last two or three days, but he's definitely been outplayed been Portis and Johnson thus far.

That's fine (and nice to see since the better everyone is at this point, the better the team will be). However, if everything is equal, I hope they pick Torain over Parker. If FWP is clearly better, then fine.

Will be nice to have a running back who can compliment Portis nicely. I have nothing against Betts and I think he was a good player but he was not a good complimentary back.
I agree. Did anybody pick up Betts or did he land anywhere? Just googled and see that the Broncos are interested after their recent injury bug.

I've always heard that cp was the more well rounded RB, being a good blocker as well. Teams wont know if hes in the backfield to block or run. If LJ was back there, this would more likely indicate run. I say CP is the primary RB because of his well roundedness.

You're right. Kemo is a space-eater and he's doin jus what they asked of him to do. His job is not really to have his name called, but to occupy lineman & blockers to ensure the LBs have their name called.

He has had a good off-season and from evrythng i've heard/read, has rehabbed very well. He was 383lbs when the Skins picked him up, they asked him to lose about 40lbs and now he's 342. Kemo is the least of our worries on the d-line.

I've always heard that cp was the more well rounded RB, being a good blocker as well. Teams wont know if hes in the backfield to block or run. If LJ was back there, this would more likely indicate run. I say CP is the primary RB because of his well roundedness.

But then again, in short yardage situations, you're going to be running 95% of the time, so LJ is the better fit there. Unless you have LJ and Portis back there...

Archived