Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Redskins training camp power rankings

themurf

By the way nice post ConnSkins. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I'm waiting for someone who disagrees to counter it. I'm putting five (imaginary--what do I look, rich? :silly:) dollars down that the majority won't address anything specific that I wrote. It will be a response from someone who just skims my post and says:

yeah, he DOESN'T get a pass, cuz he can't STOP a pass durhurhurr

the SS is responsible for a lot of TE coverage, etc., to overcome the coverage-deficiencies of our pass-rushing OLB's. Kinda like the Steelers. And Doughty can't handle that, not consistently. He's not athletic enough. If every play was a run play, then yeah, Doughty could start there in this defense. Unfortunately that's not how it goes.

The reality is that Landry, harnessing his full potential and being well coached, has the chance to do some very versatile, special things at the SS position in this defense. Imagine what Polamalu does for the Steelers. Now I'm not saying that Landry is at that level, or will be. Just that he has the chance to do similar things and make a similar impact.

He really is a pretty freakish athlete. He just needs to be coached, unleashed, and pointed in the correct direction. And I think this season is the season that happens.

An old article you might like.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/redskins/2009/aug/19/jackson-landrys-better-than-polamalu/

plus the thread on it. :)

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=295332

...There's no doubt that LaRon is a special athlete. But there's more to defense than size/speed combo.
Agreed. I'f I'm an OC, Landry's the guy I target. I'll use his speed to send him quickly in the wrong direction.

Archived