Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Earthquake?

PokerPacker

From MTH's link, the story has been updated:

Amy Vaughn, a spokesperson for USGS, said the quake was the largest recorded within 50 kilometers of Washington since a database was created to track such activity in 1974. Previously, the largest earthquake reported during that time period was a 2.6 magnitude tremor that occurred in 1990.

There you have it, easily the largest recorded earthquake in DC-area history.

From MTH's link, the story has been updated:

Amy Vaughn, a spokesperson for USGS, said the quake was the largest recorded within 50 kilometers of Washington since a database was created to track such activity in 1974. Previously, the largest earthquake reported during that time period was a 2.6 magnitude tremor that occurred in 1990.

There you have it, easily the largest recorded earthquake in DC-area history.

Good thing I stayed up this late. I guess I'll go to bed now that I've witnessed history (or been on a message board where people were talking about it happening to them--same thing).

Good thing I stayed up this late. I guess I'll go to bed now that I've witnessed history (or been on a message board where people were talking about it happening to them--same thing).

I'm with you. I was just about to finally go to bed when I felt it. Too bad I was too far away to feel the brunt of it :(

We sleep with our windows open. Right after the rumble, I could hear rain hitting the roof, and I thought it had just started raining. But I realized the rain was actually dew that had just shook off the huge tree towering over our house.

Exactly what I thought.

I also felt it in Mt. Airy. I thought it was a large truck passing, but it was too long and sustained. Then a buddy called, and we were all WTF?

That's crazy for this area, but it's kinda cool that it was shared experience. :-)

Craziness.. I strangely awakened right around that time. However, I don't recall feeling anything. ESP? :P

Did it reach Charles County, by any chance?

Esoteric Agenda, fellas.. Get ready for it. Quick, where's my tinfoil hat? 29 months until the World Bank sets up shop. :silly:

I'm in Derwood MD 20855, and that **** scared the hell out of me. At first I thought there was a ghetto bird flying around or our AC unit exploded. Since i get up at 5:15am, I just rolled back over, but my pregnant wife who was sleeping in another room started balling. It genuinely terrified her. My almost 2 year old, slept through the whole damn thing.....

Crazy ****. Yesterday a Bomb Scare at my workplace, now this.......THE WORLD IS ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm right here in the epicenter in Germantown. all i know is that my dogs started barking like crazy. i dont know if it was them barking or the thunder like rumble that woke me up, but from the time i woke up it was a good 5 seconds of noise.

i thought it had to be a plane crash or something. funny thing is that my wife and i didnt really feel anything. not sure if thats cuz we are on the ground level or what.

i was in a big quake near 29 palms california about 20 years ago. the ground was shaking so much, it felt like you were drunk. and i was sitting on the ground at the time. it was on of the biggest quakes on record in cali at the time, but you never hear about it cuz it hit in the middle of the desert and caused very little damage as such.

Archived