Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: About Haynesworth, the workout warrior

themurf

I'm still of the mindset that we might as well get some good play out of him if he's capable of providing it. I've said all along that I believe he'll be in shape. I still vehemently disagree with how he's handled the off-season, but think he'd have to be an idiot to dare show up out of shape later this month.

So, if we can't get money back from him/good value in a trade...I'm not too proud to want him playing well for us on the DL. When he plays, he's good!

Well he apparently gained half of it since the end of last season...so he's only really down from about 345 to 330 or something.

Still, I think he'll be his most effective at DT in the 4-3 or DE in the 3-4.

Jay Ratliff plays NT at 30 pounds lighter, so that wouldn't need to be true.

Well, in a few weeks we can judge for ourselves the benefits of Big Al's workouts. I am not going to :beatdeadhorse:in the ground and join others here with remarks about Albert's commitment to the Skins and the possibility of the new direction the team is going in without him. I think you have to - like it or not - give Haynesworth the benefit of the doubt. He had to be embarrassed about his conditioning last season. I will be the first to criticize him if he comes in looking the same as last season.

I'm sure my point of view is in the minority but you can't throw the guy under the bus yet, even tho his previous remarks have not done him well with the team and fan base.

Whose fault is it then?

I'd love to hear this answer.

I'll give you that the Redskins didn't handle it well (Even though I don't believe that). Getting an advance check for $21 million isn't a good peace offering?

But back to the article. If this is Haynesworth start to earning back the respect of his teammates and coaches ... I'm all for it. If it's anything else he can kick rocks!

Yawnnnnn.

Training camp is two WEEKS from now. He is a Defensive lineman.

How friggin hard is it to bull rush and wreck havoc in the backfield against the O lineman in front of you when he's done it since he has been in the league?

If he is in shape its win win.

He is auditioning for a new team and the Redskins are going to play him to increase his trade value or make the D line a dominating force to reckon with.

“He was obviously not happy with his situation,”

“We’ve gotten to know each other for the past three years, so I know what makes him tick and what doesn’t,” Smith added later. “I can be so one-on-one and focused on him, whereas in a team setting or whatnot, you’ve got 10, 20, 30 guys working out with you in that group – or however it works for that specific team – and that coach is not solely dedicated to you and working on those little things.

Not happy with a 21 million dollar check? pleeeeeeease his whining about the 3-4 is nonsense!

10, 20, 30? Try like 50 you dumb ass, fat ass was the only one not around working out :mad:

Why is his trainer making up excuses for him? Did he get half of his 21 million dollar check or something? Im tired of the BS with this subject and just wish they would out right cut his ass, no matter how bad the cap hit would be.

Even if Zorn's program wasn't the best, how come our other D linemen didn't get fat and winded? Time to stop blaming Zorn and put some of the accountability on the player(s). Having a clueless boss shouldn't automatically make you a ****ty worker.

Seriously, this a great point that doesn't get raised a lot, well done Sideshow.

Great job Murf uncovering the facts and getting through the well thought out PR campaign.

A question though? Albert blamed his conditioning last year on Zorn and his staff yet still worked out with this phenom trainer the past three years, so is it me or is something missing in the time line?

Is it two years, three, did he skip a year? IF he working out with this guy all last off season I will eat my hat with no mayo.

“He was obviously not happy with his situation,” Smith said. “But I think more so he felt comfortable with me and the relationship that we had built. He knew what to expect and what I expected and the fact the past two seasons we’ve gotten ready and he has showed up to camp in shape looking good and everything.”

“We’ve gotten to know each other for the past three years, so I know what makes him tick and what doesn’t,”

Yay Murf, lets all jump on the bandwagon. if Albert comes in and dominates are you going to jump on that bandwagon too?

frankly people on here whined when someone posted albert wasnt working out, now people are whining because he is?

the way the team has handled this has made it way worse than it needed to be, Albert is a big baby, but we knew that, so why try to be all hardass? that was all Shannys ego on that one.

The only way the REDSKINS win IN THIS GONGSHOW IS IF HE SHOWS UP IN SHAPE AND DOMINATES.

OMG look it is Fat Al's fanclub, :ols:. Cmon Ryman the excuses are exposed here. And sorry but this country club needed a hardass because the 4-12 results considering the capital outlay were to go no further. Portis, Landry and other sluffers got the message, come to camp and work hard, play as a team and the Redskins will win. I know in some leagues superior talent can overcome the opposition without much effort, but here it requires work, you know like that cream puff in NE runs. :laugh:

Yawnnnnn.

Training camp is two WEEKS from now. He is a Defensive lineman.

How friggin hard is it to bull rush and wreck havoc in the backfield against the O lineman in front of you when he's done it since he has been in the league?

If he is in shape its win win.

He is auditioning for a new team and the Redskins are going to play him to increase his trade value or make the D line a dominating force to reckon with.

exactly, thank God a few people around here can still look at this rationally

OMG look it is Fat Al's fanclub, :ols:. Cmon Ryman the excuses are exposed here. And sorry but this country club needed a hardass because the 4-12 results considering the capital outlay were to go no further. Portis, Landry and other sluffers got the message, come to camp and work hard, play as a team and the Redskins will win. I know in some leagues superior talent can overcome the opposition without much effort, but here it requires work, you know like that cream puff in NE runs. :laugh:

Lmao, nah I just want one of two things, either Albert playing and playing well, or a high round pick, neither of which is likely to happen unless people start getting off the bash alberta bandwagon.

Lmao, nah I just want one of two things, either Albert playing and playing well, or a high round pick, neither of which is likely to happen unless people start getting off the bash alberta bandwagon.

How is our anti-Canadian sentiment related to this? :silly:

Seriously though I see two aspects - bashing AH because he's handled it poorly and then going beyond that and bashing him because it feels good and it would be novel to see a star like him effectively lose his livelihood when he's made an example.

I'm OK with riding him because he was a ****wit, but we have to make that a one-time "welcome back you big baby" event, then see if he can redeem himself. Going beyond that is simply counterproductive (though almost everyone is fascinated to witness a trainwreck in action).

How is our anti-Canadian sentiment related to this? :silly:

Seriously though I see two aspects - bashing AH because he's handled it poorly and then going beyond that and bashing him because it feels good and it would be novel to see a star like him effectively lose his livelihood when he's made an example.

I'm OK with riding him because he was a ****wit, but we have to make that a one-time "welcome back you big baby" event, then see if he can redeem himself. Going beyond that is simply counterproductive (though almost everyone is fascinated to witness a trainwreck in action).

I started calling him alberta when he started acting like a big fat girly baby, but I agree with trhe last part of your post, im hoping that people will smarten up and get on board on that bandwagon, ffs hes a redskin now , and besides hes not Mike Vick or meon sanders.

.... but we have to make that a one-time "welcome back you big baby" event, then see if he can redeem himself. Going beyond that is simply counterproductive (though almost everyone is fascinated to witness a trainwreck in action).

Naw, i think he has to earn that "welcome back you big baby event". He has to absolutely prove by word and deed that he is going to buy into the program. That means he has to practice when coaches want him to practice, he has to apologize to the coaches and teammates. Heck, if Shanny wants Fat Al to fetch his coffee, he should be ready and willing to do it. Point being if he wants to be a part of the organization, he has to do a total 180 in attitude and habit. No more foolishness.

Naw, i think he has to earn that "welcome back you big baby event". He has to absolutely prove by word and deed that he is going to buy into the program. That means he has to practice when coaches want him to practice, he has to apologize to the coaches and teammates. Heck, if Shanny wants Fat Al to fetch his coffee, he should be ready and willing to do it. Point being if he wants to be a part of the organization, he has to do a total 180 in attitude and habit. No more foolishness.

I disagree, I think he has to dominate on the field, and thats all, I think trying to subjugate him was what started this gong show in the first place.

I disagree, I think he has to dominate on the field, and thats all, I think trying to subjugate him was what started this gong show in the first place.

Its all included, performance should be a given. Its not so much trying to subjugate and humiliate him as it is a lesson in humility. He has created his own mess in this situation. He was given the benefit of the doubt from the time he originally signed the contract up until he missed vol. minicamp. Now you can argue all day long of how Synder "Promised" a 4-3 and not the 3-4 and all of that. But the bottom line is that the organization made a financial committment to him. He decided to sign the contract. If he has any ounce of character and shame in him, he will seek to right his wrongs and honor that contract and those involved. My concern (and others) is that he hasn't shown any signs that he should be given that vote of approval. At this point its all on Al. And I will emphasize that a change in attitude will go along way in how he's respected in the lockerroom, no performance ONLY.

At this point its all on Al. And I will emphasize that a change in attitude will go along way in how he's respected in the lockerroom, no performance ONLY.

Well, that's obviously a true statement. However, I'm not sure it's all that relevant to the average fan. If he plays great this year and helps us to a playoff season, how many fans are really going to nitpick if he doesn't have respect in the locker room?

So, from the standpoint of the Redskins organization getting a good outcome from this mess, it's really only tied to his on-field performance in my opinion.

I'm not writing him off based on off-season talk. I'll wait and see what he does at the beginning of TC. That will say miles about what he spent his summer doing.

That's pretty much the point of the column. Words - whether they're coming from Haynesworth, his agent, his trainer, the team, some guy who knows some guy - are meaningless.

Anyone who hears comments from Smith, who by the way is on Haynesworth's payroll and living in his freaking house, and takes them seriously, should probably wear a helmet when riding the school bus.

What else is the trainer going to say? "He's a fat, lazy ****, but I eat good every night and I'm one of the few people he actually pays money to." I tell you what, those comments would actually get my attention.

It seems like every year a high profile player skips the optionals, yet its almost mandatory that the "why isnt he at OTA's" storyline commands a vast majority of the off season discussions. Its optional for him to attend and no matter how its spun, his attendance is still optional at the end of the day. I dont remember the other OTA skippers taking this much flak.

Its much ado about nothing IMO. I wonder how everyone bashing him will react if he has a strong year and proves that a vet dlinemen doesnt need 4 months of OTAs to convert to a 3-4. Its not rocket science. If he was an offensive linemen, yeah that is much closer to rocket science.

Team building? The camaraderie gained from last years OTA's netted us a 4-12 record.

Archived