Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: About Haynesworth, the workout warrior

themurf

haynesworth092809.jpg

(courtesy photo)

Let me start out by saying I’ve got nothing personally against Tripp Smith.

Under a different set of circumstances, I’m confident that Smith and I could get along just fine. Maybe we’d crack open a few cold, refreshing beverages as he offered workout advice (like, you know, stop drinking so many cold, refreshing beverages) or what have you.

But honestly, when Albert Haynesworth’s personal trainer talked with Rich Campbell about Fat Albert’s fantastic offseason this week, my initial reaction was simply, “Shut up. No one wants to hear it.”

For those who missed it, Smith said during a telephonic interview (presumably from Haynesworth’s house, where he’s been staying for the last few months) that Haynesworth has shed 32 pounds since the beginning of April when they started working out together and that he’s convinced his client is “going to open some eyes when he gets to camp.”

Since Haynesworth has turned his back on the Washington Redskins this offseason, opting to stay away from head coach Mike Shanahan and his teammates while working out on his own with Smith, I guess it would open some eyes if the man actually showed up for work. But I digress.

Smith addressed Haynesworth’s decision to blow off his employer’s wishes and remain in Tennessee this offseason.

“He was obviously not happy with his situation,” Smith said. “But I think more so he felt comfortable with me and the relationship that we had built. He knew what to expect and what I expected and the fact the past two seasons we’ve gotten ready and he has showed up to camp in shape looking good and everything.”

“We’ve gotten to know each other for the past three years, so I know what makes him tick and what doesn’t,” Smith added later. “I can be so one-on-one and focused on him, whereas in a team setting or whatnot, you’ve got 10, 20, 30 guys working out with you in that group – or however it works for that specific team – and that coach is not solely dedicated to you and working on those little things.

“I think he likes the fact that it’s just him and I,” he said. “I listen to the feedback he gives me and I change things accordingly. In the long run that’s what’s going to make him a better football player and athlete on the field.”

Okay, seriously, where do I begin? How about, for starters, we focus on the explanation Haynesworth gave for wanting to skip the team’s offseason workout program. If you remember, Albert basically said he tried the Redskins’ offseason workout plan last year and felt it didn’t cut it.

“After many years in the NFL, I know what it takes for me to perform at my highest level,” Haynesworth said in a prepared statement back in June. “My number one goal has always been to help my team win – period. It’s also important at my position to help free my teammates to make plays, which I’ve done throughout my career when I’ve been allowed to play to my strengths. I will continue to work individually to prepare for training camp and the start of the 2010 season.”

To recap, Haynesworth wasn’t happy with the team’s offseason program under Jim Zorn, so he felt it was in his best interest to blow off Shanahan and an entirely new coaching staff as they try to install a completely new offensive and defensive system.

That’s roughly equal to a child saying, “Well, my Biology teacher during my freshman year was clueless, so I’m skipping Chemistry.”

Zorn wasn’t good at his job. We all know that. So what’s that got to do with Shanahan? Last I checked, he’s got two more Super Bowl rings than Haynesworth does.

This seems like an appropriate time to point out that this is the third-straight offseason Haynesworth has trained with Smith. So if we’re passing out blame, then let’s be sure to also look in the direction of the guying playing slumber party at Fat Albert’s this summer.

Click here for the full article.

Even if Zorn's program wasn't the best, how come our other D linemen didn't get fat and winded? Time to stop blaming Zorn and put some of the accountability on the player(s). Having a clueless boss shouldn't automatically make you a ****ty worker.

Words are meaningless at this point I agree. Albert has to show up, eat some humble pie, and play his @## off to have any hope of swaying anyone's opinion of him. I still hope that happens because a DL of a motivated and healthy Albert, Carriker and Kemo IMO can be very, very good.

His trainer sounds a little TOO close to him, if you know what I mean.

:paranoid:

In all seriousness Albert should apologize to the fans and media. Everyone hates him, even fans from other teams:ols:.

Beyond that, he better show up in shape and ready to play. He already might not play, but if he is out of shape he will be the most expensive bench player in NFL history.

Having a clueless boss shouldn't automatically make you a ****ty worker.

Very well played sir. For me regardless of how he plays this year I still won't be a fan. I just don't like his personality and how he handles himself.

Fat Albert just needs to upload some pics with his shirt off.

Um ... wow. Just wow.

Naw, i would prefer that he's traded ASAP. Bridges already burned IMO.

Personally, I would prefer they either cut him effective immediately or have him show up, work his ass off during training camp and then have him ride the bench once the season starts. Either way works for me.

Yay Murf, lets all jump on the bandwagon. if Albert comes in and dominates are you going to jump on that bandwagon too?

frankly people on here whined when someone posted albert wasnt working out, now people are whining because he is?

the way the team has handled this has made it way worse than it needed to be, Albert is a big baby, but we knew that, so why try to be all hardass? that was all Shannys ego on that one.

The only way the REDSKINS win IN THIS GONGSHOW IS IF HE SHOWS UP IN SHAPE AND DOMINATES.

Good article Murf. Again, seems like Al thought that losing 30+ pounds AND showing up for some team activities were mutually exclusive. Yeah, right. I agree.....if he does show up, make that large butt ride the pine. The words from his agent which essentially said "Al doesn't want to be a Skin" were enough for me.

Yay Murf, lets all jump on the bandwagon. if Albert comes in and dominates are you going to jump on that bandwagon too?

frankly people on here whined when someone posted albert wasnt working out, now people are whining because he is?

the way the team has handled this has made it way worse than it needed to be, Albert is a big baby, but we knew that, so why try to be all hardass? that was all Shannys ego on that one.

The only way the REDSKINS win IN THIS GONGSHOW IS IF HE SHOWS UP IN SHAPE AND DOMINATES.

I bet your the guy that roots for the villain when you watch a movie.

The point of the article is that Haynesworth and anyone in his camp lacks credibility. If Haynesworth is going to "turn heads" when he comes to camp then shut up and let it happen. Adding any more words to the fire just make those of us who are already pissed off at the knucklehead even more pissed off.

What exactly has Haynesworth told the truth about in recent months to make anyone believe this? Aristotle said it the best "Liars when they speak the truth are not believed". Haynesworth is a LIAR.

Even if he comes back and dominates he still is what he is ... if he can't earn the respect of his teammates then he will never earn mine. Because I respect the teammates that showed up for the teams sake.

Yup the fact that this guy has trained Fat Al in the past also has me leary that he will be any different.

Well, there is a difference between working a month and a half with him, since he only joined him after offseason workouts here broke up last year, and working the whole offseason with him. As for motivation, most of those comments were made after he made the decision to work out with the trainer that helped bring him the success in Tennessee. If I was a coach, I'd want to see him motivated to get better after hearing negative comments, but his motivation to improve was already there by his decision to do something different this offseason.

Now, I haven't been happy with his decision to stay away from OTAs and I think he's put himself behind by not being here, but he still has a chance to make things good by coming to training camp like he promised and be part of the solution.

The point of the article is that Haynesworth and anyone in his camp lacks credibility.

Actually, his trainer does have a motivation to be truthful about what he says, since he's running a business and Haynesworth is not his only client. It would be stupid for him businesswise to lie and pump up one client when you are running an ongoing concern. It doesn't mean he's not being stupid, but I think it is more likely he's being truthful rather than not.

I bet your the guy that roots for the villain when you watch a movie.

The point of the article is that Haynesworth and anyone in his camp lacks credibility. If Haynesworth is going to "turn heads" when he comes to camp then shut up and let it happen. Adding any more words to the fire just make those of us who are already pissed off at the knucklehead even more pissed off.

What exactly has Haynesworth told the truth about in recent months to make anyone believe this? Aristotle said it the best "Liars when they speak the truth are not believed". Haynesworth is a LIAR.

Even if he comes back and dominates he still is what he is ... if he can't earn the respect of his teammates then he will never earn mine. Because I respect the teammates that showed up for the teams sake.

I do cheer for the indians in westerns I suppose. and those of you who are pissed off at the knucklehead seem to forget that this situation was handled poorly and not entirely his fault

Actually, his trainer does have a motivation to be truthful about what he says, since he's running a business and Haynesworth is not his only client. It would be stupid for him businesswise to lie and pump up one client when you are running an ongoing concern. It doesn't mean he's not being stupid, but I think it is more likely he's being truthful rather than not.

I hear what your saying but I will no longer play Charlie Brown while Haynesworth plays Marcy. And I think his teammates feel the same way especially how mad that were when he didn't show up for the mandatory mini camp that HE said he would show up for.

It is likely that the trainer is telling the truth but I just won't allow myself to believe any words from Haynesworth or his camp. (How much do you believe his agent right about now?) I will only believe what I see. So again, if this is true I don't want to hear about it ... I want to see it. Otherwise to me its not true.

Archived