Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Safeties in the League (NFL.com)

darrelgreenie

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81917ab2/Best-in-the-Biz-safeties

I thought this quote from Rod Woodson about Nick Collins pertains to Landry and all those fans who think he suddenly can't cover @1:38:

"Yeah he[Nick Collins] get beat every now and again but he gambles because an aggressive saftey is gonna get beat every now and then"

The second half the clip Woodson speaks about how imporant disguise is to getting turnovers @05:41

"I think one thing that can really help a defense is disguise"

And i think disguise is one of the key elements that Haslett will bring on offense:

"Coach Has brought a new defense in and it's just bananas," Moore said. "That's what I call it. It's just crazy. One time we might be in [cover] zero, the next time in three-deep. You just got to go out there and whatever he calls, make him believe we can play."

Charles Barkley gambles a lot... how did that work out for him?

This past season it didnt seem like Landry was gambling much. It looked more like he was just caught out of position. I think that he could definitely benefit from some discipline and a new scheme. I also think that we will see a new Laron Landry this season.

This past season it didnt seem like Landry was gambling much. It looked more like he was just caught out of position. I think that he could definitely benefit from some discipline and a new scheme. I also think that we will see a new Laron Landry this season.

I 2nd that!.... ST did also have a bad year in 06 playing out of position trying to make up for a weak D giving up points galore. What happen the next year he got disciplined blew all other safeties out of the water. Man RIP ST :cry:

Taylor made the Pro Bowl in 2006 for his efforts. I didnt see that from Landry in '09 but I'm giving him another shot. Basically everyone has a clean slate from me this year other than Fat Al (who I liked last year).

Taylor made the Pro Bowl in 2006 for his efforts. I didnt see that from Landry in '09 but I'm giving him another shot. Basically everyone has a clean slate from me this year other than Fat Al (who I liked last year).

Man yeah he did.... Lets not fool our selfs cause he made it as alternate right?

Are you really gonna tell me that 06 was a pro bowl year for ST? I support your thought tho with landry giving him a pass or clean slate. :D

I just want to see Landry wrap up and form tackle for a change...he tries to make every tackle a knockout blow and he might take the worst angles of any safety in the league...I hope JH keeps him close to the line to cut down the distance between 30 and thr ball carrier. That being said I'm a big fan of the guy and I'm looking forward to his role in.the new D.

Landry had a terrible year. Bad angles. Missed tackles. Failure to be in the right place. Perhaps you're right and he was playing possum and setting up receivers and qbs for this season. Don't make excuses for him. Hope that he gets it. He doesn't need excuses. He needs to work and get his brain in the game.

I agree he got caught out of position WAY TO MANY TIMES. I was a big fan up until last year. The verdict is still out on him as far as I;m concerned. I'm hoping he will rebound with this new system.

Look at what Landry did after Sean passed. He was an all-star and earned a Pro Bowl alternate role from just over a quarter of a season. Two picks in a playoff game.

What changed? The worst defensive coordinator of all-time. Now he's gone. Landry's still there.

I can't tell you how excited I am to get his Pro Bowl jersey in two years.

:ols:

Yet he STILL got beat :doh:

But don't you think that was part of the problem? Running all the way up to cover only to have a hitch and go? I got to tell you I played safety/corner and that scheme sucked. If I was the OC I could set that play up every game if you played me that way. The Redskins must do a better job at disguising coverages and packages.

Fatigue is a big part of the game planning and adjustment as well. Believe me some guy somewhere in that stadium is not only paying attention to alignment tendencies but also how many times a safety is running up to cover on passing and running downs. That scheme last year was H.S. IMO. for backfield. Prevent nothing I call it.

It should have been called the Cover too-deep. :ols:

I've been watching them replay that segment over & over.

I wanted a ST mention soo bad :( It's just not fair..

I believe in Landry. He has the tools. However, i believe LL will shape up and start kicking butt just in time to get paid again.....

by the Saints?

2497_picture_of_a_groundhog_with_a_big_eye_looking_out_of_his_hole.jpg

I think our backfield will play better this , last years secondary coaching was brutal and far too conservative.

My teams QB had a funny rant once at an Olineman that this reminds me of in regards to gambling. " if you flat out guess on every play you have a 50/50 shot at being right, just pick one of the men and block his ass, if you dont block either one then you are gonna be wrong 100% of the time, what pisses me off is that you are wrong 75% of the time. How is that even possible? Science hates you."

somehow Landry would guess and gamble and be wrong more than 50% of the time lmao. with proper coaching and a more aggresive scheme I think landry will return to form.

Look at what Landry did after Sean passed. He was an all-star and earned a Pro Bowl alternate role from just over a quarter of a season. Two picks in a playoff game.

What changed? The worst defensive coordinator of all-time. Now he's gone. Landry's still there.

I can't tell you how excited I am to get his Pro Bowl jersey in two years.

agreed. landry was held down by an awful defensive coach who retired during week 3 who ran a defense that made him look awful. i dont know any safeties in the league who can take good angles at RB or WR when theyre 30 yards away from every play.

haslett will have him in monster form.

Archived