Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: T.O. has "open arms" to Redskins

Oldskool

I've always been anti-TO but let me say this....

1. We need an upgrade at WR and TO at 36 is still probably better than any WR we have right now.

2. He knows this is his last shot. He's 36 and the only team that wanted him last year was the Bills - and then they didn't want him back. That tells you something. If there are any issues with him, I feel confident that Shanny will kick him to the curb.

3. In spite of his attitude problems, the guy keeps himself in great shape and we know how much talent he has, even at 36.

If he comes at a reasonable price and DMac signs off on him, then I'd be okay with it.

I just hope his arms aren't too wide open for us though, he drops too many passes as it is. :ols:

So why haven’t the Redskins signed him already?

Probably because he’s a notoriously terrible teammate who is happy enough when the team is winning and he’s catching touchdown passes, but will definitely turn on other players and coaches at the first hint of trouble. Almost every team encounters difficulty during the course of an NFL season and when that difficulty arrives, T.O. is generally the first person to start casting blame in public and insisting that whatever problem the team has it can only be solved by throwing more passes in his direction. When T.O. was catching 12-15 touchdown passes per season teams were willing to put up with that — at least for a season or two. Now that he’s not a great player anymore, teams have less patience for the T.O. Show.

My view: Don’t sign Owens no matter what. Make it clear the Redskins are about teamwork and camaraderie and hard work and that temporary problems will not be permitted to override those values. Bringing in Owens will undermine the goals Shanahan has said he has for the team and T.O. will eventually turn on Shanahan and his teammates anyway. Wide receiver is going to be a problem this year, I suspect. But having T.O. would create bigger problems.

http://dcprosportsreport.com/2010/07/10/terrell-owens-wants-to-be-a-redskin/

This article (particuarly the above pasted paragraphs) on T.O pretty much sums up my feelings on why we should NOT sign T.O. I don't think he's a horrible guy,he stays in shape, is a great receiver with great work ethic and he generally stays out of trouble with the law. The ******* in him that appears front and center when things aren't T O friendly just isn't worth, undoing all the heavyliftingShanahan/Allen have spent this off season doing. We already have Aintsworth as a source of contention in the lockeroom, why ask for trouble with a full blown headcase in Owens? Even VC had the common sense NOT to sign T.O.:silly:

Why not sign him? A couple of years ago the asking price was too high, but now at this price and TO doesn't have bargaining power. If he is a problem or major distraction they will drop him faster than exlax goes through a geriatric patient. It would be a good move considering our current roster of players.

Why not sign him? A couple of years ago the asking price was too high, but now at this price and TO doesn't have bargaining power. If he is a problem or major distraction they will drop him faster than exlax goes through a geriatric patient. It would be a good move considering our current roster of players.
I'd rather we go with Moss as #1, and give the 3rd-4th string playing time to a young guy with potential. A 1-4 year guy cut or PS from another club, or UDFA. Less chance of TO-like shenanigans, and would pay dividends if our guy catches fire.

I'd rather we go with Moss as #1, and give the 3rd-4th string playing time to a young guy with potential. A 1-4 year guy cut or PS from another club, or UDFA. Less chance of TO-like shenanigans, and would pay dividends if our guy catches fire.

There were no TO shenanigans last year when he was in Buffalo, on a craptastic team and on a one year deal.

The vast majority of people here are afraid of another "I love me some me" episode out of Owens but the last few years and especially this off season have seemed to show him that at his age and decline in skills there is no tolerance for that. The wariness of GM's across the league of his attitude and the fact that he wants at least $5m for one year is the reason that he doesn't have a team at the moment.

If the FO thinks that his behavior from last year will carry over and sign him to a contract, that's fine by me. If they want to roll the dice with Kelly and Thomas, then that's their call. I have a feeling Shanny will be looking to upgrade the WR position next year anyhow.

**** t.o.! I understand the reasoning of those that want to bring him in as it would make the wr corps somewhat better. But somehow after letting our guard down to accept McNabb in here, we are somehow deluding ourselves that t.o. isn't the biggest piece of $#!+ in the NFL. I mean that ****er managed to turn that wretched rag those dallas fools call a jersey into something quite a bit more despicable and tainted singlehandedly. Remember the tradition of quality men as our players that Bruce Allen likes to talk about and all reject any chance of that douche staining our proud jerseys. Just say NO to t.o. :49ersuck::eaglesuck:dallasuck:billsuck:

Its funny how the same people saying dont sign TO are the same people who will be cussing out the coach and QB if we arnt producing in the passing game this year. Stop judging people on issues you know nothing about except what you saw in the media..Forget what happened in SanFran,Philly,Dallas, and Buffalo. If the coaches think he'll make us better on the field that's all that matters.Personally I want DT or Kelly to break out and become stars, but I''d also like to win the lottery as well...Bottom line... trust the head coach.

I'd take Santana Moss now over T.O. now :yes:...

The difference, to me, is not that drastically in favor of Owens. Keep in mind that one of those two years Owens had Romo sits to pee throwing to him and Jason Garrett as his OC. Both of those years, though, Moss had Campbell (over)throwing to him and Zorn supposedly as his OC lol...Moss is 5 years younger than Owens, who will continue his decline this season. And Moss will benefit greatly from having a QB who can hit him deep...we won't see nearly the same amount of missed opportunities in that area with McNabb as QB.

I was responding to a quote that was saying that T.O. doesn't have it anymore, and that he is garbage. I actually could care less whether or not we sign T.O.. (That's why I posted that I trust our coaches decisions).

You are right when you say that there is not a lot of difference in Owens' favor as far as stats go the past couple of seasons.:)

So, I'd like to know, if T.O. doesn't have it anymore, and is garbage, then what is Moss?

Let it be known that I am a huge Santana Moss fan, but I'd just like to know wtf some people are talking sometimes.

I was responding to a quote that was saying that T.O. doesn't have it anymore, and that he is garbage. I actually could care less whether or not we sign T.O.. (That's why I posted that I trust our coaches decisions).

You are right when you say that there is not a lot of difference in Owens' favor as far as stats go the past couple of seasons.:)

So, I'd like to know, if T.O. doesn't have it anymore, and is garbage, then what is Moss?

Let it be known that I am a huge Santana Moss fan, but I'd just like to know wtf some people are talking sometimes.

The opposite can be said as well, then: If Owens' production lately is supposed to show that he would be an obvious upgrade and someone this team desperately needs, then doesn't that mean we already have someone of his level in Santana Moss? lol...

But as to your question, well, this is easy to answer lol :yes:...

T.O. is considered "garbage" NOT because of his perceived meager production but because of his character. Moss has no similar issues. Very few people think a "quiet" year in Buffalo means Owens is a changed man.

T.O. is considered to "not have it anymore" because the T.O. of years past who could put together strings of dominating games hasn't existed since 2007. Now he's merely a decent wr at best, and there is ample evidence of his physical skills eroding over the past few years...it only holds that, at 36, they will continue to erode, and possibly at a faster pace now because of his age. Compare that to Moss, who has had two down years (for him) and a noticeable part of that was due to the two things I mentioned above: mediocre QB play that couldn't take advantage of Moss' best asset, and a rookie/inexperienced head coach and offensive coordinator who--let's face it--didn't know what the hell he was doing lol. And because of Moss' age, he can still have 3-4 very productive years ahead of him, years much like his career years so far. No way in hell will Owens EVER come close to his career years, or even to Moss' career years from here on out.

Simply put, Owens--even with a top-10 QB and an OC who knows what he'ds doing--has been on a steady decline for 2 years, and at 36 that decline is only gonna pick up steam. Moss is not in that same situation by any means.

Anyone who thinks Owens will somehow come close to the T.O. of 2004-2007 have NOT been paying attention to this guy's actual play.

I could see TO coming to the Skins.

That's if the Skins are not able to secure the services of Jackson, and perhaps an injury or something drastic happens in training camp.

Someone will pick up TO once training camp starts and there is an injury, or like someone mentioned above he lowers his asking price.

If it's the Skins, fine. I think TO is finally an adult. It took John McEnroe a few years to finally "get it", and TO is an athlete of that caliber. Definitely headed for the Hall, I'm sure at this point he is ready to shut his mouth and do what it takes to help a team win.

He still had 5 scores last year and that was with the run happy bills and horrible QB Edwards and still managed to keep his big mouf shut despite having fewer plays ran for him than the past three seasons.

If not, whatever.

Tana isn't a #1 anymore, and probably not even a #2.

:ols:

If Moss WAS the #2, he'd be the best #2 in the league but I think he will be #1 guy heading into camp.

What makes you think he has lost a step?

He had the lowest ypc last year of his career, and he's 31 now. The last two years could have been a fluke and granted he was in Zorn's high school offense. But the general consensus on ES all off-season has been that Tana is a slot WR at this point. Just my .02.

He had the lowest ypc last year of his career, and he's 31 now. The last two years could have been a fluke and granted he was in Zorn's high school offense. But the general consensus on ES all off-season has been that Tana is a slot WR at this point. Just my .02.

Tana would catch 150 passes if he was the slot receiver in New England.

You don't think he's faster and better than Wes Welker? :ols:

No offense to Welker, who is an outstanding player, he is no Moss. All those times you see Welker get caught from behind.... Yea, those are touchdowns if Moss is catching those passes in stride.

I'd love to see him as the slot receiver.

Hopefully other teams view him as a #2 as well, and put a lesser DB on him so he can torch them:ols: I highly doubt that will happen so you will continue to see the opposing teams best defender lined up against him.

:2cents:

Well im totally convinced, we should sign T.O. and after he leaves this team in more disarray, maybe he can go play for the Giants. Bottom line, one year of successfully acting like an adault does not excuse him from years of acting like a tool. Lets not sell our soul to the devil her folks for yet another head case.

I've never said he is going to be the best receiver we've ever had, far from it at this point, but I'd still give him a look while we are going after guys like Larry Johnson, Brian Westbrook, and Joey Galloway. We are only missing one peice of the 2005 pro bowl team.

Archived