Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: T.O. has "open arms" to Redskins

Oldskool

Did a search and nothing came up on this. Merge if needed with my apologies.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/07/to_has_open_arms_to_redskins.html#more

You know who would create way more Web traffic for me than Albert Haynesworth?

Terrell Owens would. It would be the Web traffic bounty of all time. It would also divide the fan base, sell jerseys, create seething discontent, and probably end in a contentious locker room fiasco, but the Web traffic would be great.

I think it's more likely that Albert Haynesworth delivers $21 million worth of pennies directly to Daniel Snyder's office in a burgundy-and-gold-plated wheelbarrow than that T.O. shows up in Ashburn, but he's apparently still hoping for that phone call.

"Well you know what? Definitely that's something that was on the radar," Owens told Nashville's WGFX this week, when asked if a reunion with Donovan McNabb was still a possibility. "And if that's a possibility and they want to bring me in and make that happen, then I'm open arms to it. And I think Donovan has come out and said that things that have happened in the past sometimes were overblown with the media. It's surprising how it takes some years to go by for things like that to come out, but Donovan and I are good friends now and we've talked. We just played in this Pros vs. Joes [TV event] with myself, him and Antonio Gates against some NBA champions - Hakeem Olajuwon, Rick Fox and Kenny Smith."

The conversation then switched to a less footbally tone, but later, the hosts asked Owens about which quarterbacks he'd like to play with. After mentioning Philip Rivers, he came back to McNabb.

"Obviously you mentioned reuniting with Donovan," Owens said, "but I think going to Washington and playing with him obviously would be a good thing, because I feel like their team is on the cusp of really getting to the playoffs and really making something happen....I'm just looking for a team that's in the hunt, obviously to get to the playoffs and obviously win it all. Because honestly, once you get to the playoffs, you never know what can happen."

I guess that's true. You never know what can happen. But I'll bet you three dead Verizon Center ****roaches that Terrell Owens doesn't play for the Redskins.

(Via Sports Radio Interviews via Hogs Haven.)

By Dan Steinberg | July 9, 2010; 2:26 PM ET

On one hand I could see Shanny not wanting to add TO due to the volatile nature of having him on the team. On the other hand I think he still has the skills to be productive. Is it possible to sign him for just a year and take it from there? He seems to only be a disaster after a season or two. During the single season in Buffalo he seemed to be pretty quiet. I dunno... just thinking out loud.

McNabb can make things happen even without a headliner name at WR. He did it many times in Philly. Signing TO may could also inhibit any development we're hoping to see from Thomas and Kelly going into their third year..

I don't really understand all the Owens hate really. It's not like he ever came out and said, "**** THE REDSKINS!" (I do remember him desecrating the star, though.)

I see a guy who has obviously had some problems in the past, but has since done everything that has been asked of him. He is easily one of the hardest working athletes to ever play the sport, and could be as good (if not better) than Jerry Rice at 43.

TO has been humbled. He is old. (We can credit ESPN, Buffalo, his egotistical agent, and the natural-aging process.)

The biggest issue is the 5 million per year. Not gonna happen, and Rosenhaus knows it. When he drops the asking price, Allen and all the other GMs will sniff... I support the move 100% if he comes cheap and McNabb is cool with it.

This isn't the '04 Owens ON or OFF the field, it's a future HOFer who will provide (at the very least) great depth, and wants to catch the ball and win. He says he wants to win in DC, and I will not complain if he does it.

TO isnt really that good anymore ... stick with what we have. Id be pumped to win a superbowl ... but not sure Id want to do it with Mcnabb AND TO ... I like Mcnabb but TO is just too much.

We wont sign him anyways ... Shanny knows hes garbage ... trust me he took a long look.

Even if dude played great for us, the media would find SOMETHING to blow out of proportion. It's like they can create a problem to benefit their pockets.

TO has a stigma. It would be a no-win situation for us & Shanahan knows this. This could only happen if Moss were to go down. In that unfortunate case, the press would give us the OK. They'd still ruin our season with their drama, though. Every interview would turn in to "so what is it like having TO on the team". blehh...

Prima Donna, selfish, potential locker room cancer, wrong side of 30, past his best. Ah, whatever, he wouldn't be the only one you could attached that type of criticism against.

His stats show he has been performing to the level of anyone we have on our roster at the moment. In fact, far better in most cases.

Indications are that we are not interested. I don't mind either way.

Before its all said and done I believe TO will be wearing a SKins uniform before 9/12 at 8:20 Remember you heard it hear first...

Sheez did this really have to be post number "666" hmmm maybe this could be a bad thing..

Either way I'm all for bringing TO on board!!!!

I still can't believe Buffalo didn't keep him, somethings not right about that picture.

Buffalo also took a RB when Stephon Heyer and Rex Grossman would be upgrades at their T and QB positions. Buffalo also backed out of a Jared Gaither deal when they could've had him for pennies on the dollar. Buffalo also insists on keeping a RB with legal issues, injury concerns and a desire to leave. Buffalo also hired Chan Gailey when they could've had any number of better qualified head coaches. They're very mismanaged; it doesn't surprise me one bit.

Before its all said and done I believe TO will be wearing a SKins uniform before 9/12 at 8:20 Remember you heard it hear first...

Actually, Peter King beat you by a month and a half :ols:

I don't really understand all the Owens hate really. It's not like he ever came out and said, "**** THE REDSKINS!" (I do remember him desecrating the star, though.)

I see a guy who has obviously had some problems in the past, but has since done everything that has been asked of him. He is easily one of the hardest working athletes to ever play the sport, and could be as good (if not better) than Jerry Rice at 43.

TO has been humbled. He is old. (We can credit ESPN, Buffalo, his egotistical agent, and the natural-aging process.)

The biggest issue is the 5 million per year. Not gonna happen, and Rosenhaus knows it. When he drops the asking price, Allen and all the other GMs will sniff... I support the move 100% if he comes cheap and McNabb is cool with it.

This isn't the '04 Owens ON or OFF the field, it's a future HOFer who will provide (at the very least) great depth, and wants to catch the ball and win. He says he wants to win in DC, and I will not complain if he does it.

:applause:

Great post.

TO isn't going to come into any organization and cause trouble. He's not as good as he was 5 years ago and he knows he doesn't have any second chances left or his superstar talent to fall back on.

That being said, he is still a productive receiver that wants to win before he retires. Like you said he's a future HOFer that wants a ring to cap off an impressive career.

If he comes at the right price and Donovan is fine with it, I say bring him in. He's still talented enough to help this team win games.

Cosigned 100%.

Bring the dude in already!!! I am convinced on the field he is still a 1000+ yd receiver and better than anyone we have (yes, including Moss). As a fan of his reality show (and sure it can be twisted) you can see the guy clearly has matured. I can even see the guy being a locker room leader. People question his attitude, look at last year - he suffered on a joke of a team, with the media week in and week out throwing darts at him trying to get him to screw up, and he never did.

He had a better year last year on an even more pathetic offense than any of our receivers did. Fact. Sign the dude.

TO has extremely good and bad traits. He'll run downfield at full speed to lay a block for the #4 receiver. He's not selfish at all in that regard. But he better have the majority of the balls going in his direction or he'll make a stink - whether or not the team is winning.

Unless they've completely given up on DT and MK, I don't see the point.

Archived