Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you have fought?

thebluefood

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Tomorrow, our great nation celebrates its 234th birthday. We won our Independence the hardest way possible: through blood shed. Thousands of good men died on the battlefields, fighting for what they thought was right, in a war no one thought they could win.

So, would you've taken arms and fought for Independence if you were there?

I'd like to think I would've, but I know I can't say for sure. It's easy to say you'd fight to the death for your beliefs behind a computer screen, but when it's really staring you in the face, that's a whole 'nother story.

I said yes, but who knows. I could have been well off and not seen any reason to be independant and stayed true to Enland.

I don't like where the country is headed but would I pick up arms and rebel? It is a tough question to turn on your country.

As far as putting my life in jeapordy for my beliefs, I have done that and will do again until it is my time. 'Rock of the Marne'

Yeah, I agree with frostyj - hindsight 20-20 everybody sayz yeah, fer sure. But unless you are in that environment it is hard to say. So I did vote Not for Sure.

But being an Army veteran from the early '70's, I am inclined to say that yes I would. Especially when you have friends that do not come home. There is some incentive for payback.

I think it would also depend on where I lived and what my station of life is. If I were a slave in the deep south, I probably would've joined the British Army to get back at my master and win my own liberty. If I were a free man in the north (especially New England), I think I would've fought.

I think it would also depend on where I lived and what my station of life is. If I were a slave in the deep south, I probably would've joined the British Army to get back at my master and win my own liberty. If I were a free man in the north (especially New England), I think I would've fought.

Amazingly enough, there weren't that many slaves that fought for the British (despite being offered freedom). There were a ton of runaways, but not many that actually went on to fight.

I don't think anyone could say they would or wouldn't, unless you're saying asking what we would do if we were suddenly plopped back in time with the personalities (but not the knowledge of history) we have today. I would probably dislike every one of those people, so it'd be hard to choose a side.

I would probably dislike every one of those people, so it'd be hard to choose a side.

Well he did say take up arms and fight for Independence w/o specifying who's...:evilg::saber:

Okay, I don't want to be the negative voice here and I'm definitely no history-buff, but weren't most of the American troops just volunteers doing it for a paycheck? Like most weren't really out there for some ideological reason. In fact, I read somewhere that support was waning and Washington had to agree to pay his army more so they would stay and fight? Weren't most farmers (as most people were that day) that could only fight during the non-farming months?

I don't know if it was like after world war 2 when there was a huge sense of duty to enlist after Pearl Harbor was attacked.

I guess you could say that it's no different today. Soldiers fight for the ideology of their current leader.

Liberty or death.

Every time I look back at the American Revolution, I am amazed at the bravery of the men and women who rebelled against British rule. George Washington especially. Most people don't realize, but people like Alexander Hamilton wanted George Washington to be king of America after they had beaten the British, but he said NO. Even the king of England called George Washington the "greatest man in the world."

If I were a free man in the north (especially New England), I think I would've fought.

Oliver Cromwell (freeman) under George Washington in the front of the boat crossing the Delaware,Prince Whipple a slave of Gen Whipple was in the boat also.

James Armistead (James Lafayette after the victory) he was from Virginia though and our first African American Double spylepaon.jpg

There were two people who rode horses informing the public the British are coming, Paul Revere to the west and to the north was Wentworth Cheswell

Yeah I would fight too, to save todays Americans from Cricket, bad teeth and a spot of tea with milk, cough, cream in it.

Okay, I don't want to be the negative voice here and I'm definitely no history-buff, but weren't most of the American troops just volunteers doing it for a paycheck? Like most weren't really out there for some ideological reason. In fact, I read somewhere that support was waning and Washington had to agree to pay his army more so they would stay and fight? Weren't most farmers (as most people were that day) that could only fight during the non-farming months?

I don't know if it was like after world war 2 when there was a huge sense of duty to enlist after Pearl Harbor was attacked.

I guess you could say that it's no different today. Soldiers fight for the ideology of their current leader.

There really was no guarantee you'd actually get paid on the colonial side beside the daily stipend you got as a soldier (which was often better than what some got though), you risked getting killed (and as farmers, even relatively minor injuries could kill you in the long run) and punishments were rough (whipping was a pretty standard punishment in those days). While some fought for patriotic reasons, many fought because they thought the opportunity a 'cool' adventure or for the glory or just out of boredom. Some were just England-haters and had no ideals they were fighting for.

Would they have let me have arms in the cotton fields? I'm just asking.

Yeah, right...Most VietNam enlistees/draftees could not buy a drink or vote while they served.

You could get drafted at 18 - of course, you were not enough of an adult to buy a drink or vote though. You were not 'grown up' enough until 21 for those responsibilities. By federal law.

Gun in the cotton fields 200 years beforehand? From people outside of the government? Let's toss in a couple of days off a week while we are at it, too.

Probably would have been in my best interests, depending on where I lived. Wouldn't you get killed for being a loyalist in the wrong places, and vice versa?

I can't say for sure, but I know that if we got invaded here and now for some reason, I'd fight. I haven't shot a gun in 15 years, but I'd fire one as long as someone loaded it for me.

Most of the New England militias had blacks fighting with them. Blacks played a prominent role in some of our early victories (including Lexington and Concord).

I know the history of Black's in America's wars. I was being a smart a**. My answer is yes but my interests would have been personal in nature

Archived