Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Car repair bill - does this make sense?

alexey

Android or IPhone  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Android or IPhone

Got the following breakdown of costs for A/C repair. Does this sound reasonable? This is for a 2003 Subaru Forester with a hosed A/C system.

Parts

$125.78 - A/C High Pressure Hose

$368.10 - A/C Compressor

$119.40 - A/C Dryer

Labour

$240 - $80 an hour, 3 hours for replace compressor, dryer, high pressure hose

$853.28 Total

Thank you.

Really is your fault for not going online and buying the parts yourself. Here's an example.

I had to get my alternator fixed in my 2007 Sebring and the mechanic quoted me at $478 parts and labor. I found an alternator online for $86. Took it to my mechanic and he charged me $77 to install it. The job cost me $163, for a total savings of $315!!!

It really does make that big of a difference when you buy your own parts.

Thank you! Glad to hear that they are being resonable.

I have been using windows and holding out, but im afraid that one of these days im going to get stuck in traffic and die. It's been pretty freakin hot in the Wash DC area these last several days.

It certainly does,of course the mechanic usually is not gonna warranty the repair.

My mechanic does not warranty the part, the online company does. My mechanic does however warranty the work he performs. If he puts the part on incorrectly he will replace it. If the part fails, the company that I purchase my part will replace it if it fails within the warranty window.

My mechanic does not warranty the part, the online company does. My mechanic does however warranty the work he performs. If he puts the part on incorrectly he will replace it. If the part fails, the company that I purchase my part will replace it if it fails within the warranty window.

and who pays the labor for doing it again?

With something like a compressor, its not like an alternator. A new compressor, coming from a mechanic shop, when installed, they (should be) including in the cost, boosting the system with refridgerant. If you go buy a compressor online and have a mechanic install it, he is going to have to pressurize the system with refrigerant. You would have to pay for the refrigerant by the lb. (they also have small cans of car refrigerant i believe, not sure of the price though), there may be braising to do, etc. My point being it is a more difficult repair then an alternator, with more cost associated with it. If he gets it done with shoddy equipment he got online, and then have to do it again, its gonna be a costly mistake. With more techincal repairs, id air on the side of caution and let a mechanic handle it through their shop, with a shop covered warrenty.

yeah thats very cheap for an ac repair. and i agree that it is better to have the shop supply the parts and therefore warranty for something like this.

i used to work at a garage and as far as everything failing at the same time most times they dont. the way it was explained to me by the mechanics the way an ac system works if you open up the system you have to replace the dryer no matter what. as far as the hose and compressor go im assuming they had a leak.

yeah thats very cheap for an ac repair. and i agree that it is better to have the shop supply the parts and therefore warranty for something like this.

i used to work at a garage and as far as everything failing at the same time most times they dont. the way it was explained to me by the mechanics the way an ac system works if you open up the system you have to replace the dryer no matter what. as far as the hose and compressor go im assuming they had a leak.

compressors dont leak, they over amp and burn out. Compressors are for the most part hermatically sealed. Line prolly didnt have a leak but was contaminated when the compressor died. Its true, any time you open up an AC system, the dryer needs to be replaced.

compressors dont leak, they over amp and burn out. Compressors are for the most part hermatically sealed. Line prolly didnt have a leak but was contaminated when the compressor died. Its true, any time you open up an AC system, the dryer needs to be replaced.

interesting. i have been told that there was a seal on the back of the compressor that can leak.

interesting. i have been told that there was a seal on the back of the compressor that can leak.

I also only have experience working on commercial and residential AC units though I am licensed to workon car AC units as well. I could be wrong about car ac's, but any other compressor ive ever handled or worked on is how i previously described. Seeing as you spoke with mechanics directly, you are probably more accurate then I am.

Archived