Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Car repair bill - does this make sense?

alexey

Android or IPhone  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Android or IPhone

I also only have experience working on commercial and residential AC units though I am licensed to workon car AC units as well. I could be wrong about car ac's, but any other compressor ive ever handled or worked on is how i previously described. Seeing as you spoke with mechanics directly, you are probably more accurate then I am.

lol one would think but some mechanics are shady and will tell you whatever to convince you that a part needs replacing.

Black leather seat and 100 degree heat = roasting chestnuts

motorcycles allow for flexible parking, usually right next to the entrance of a building in the shade.

Your short life. :pfft:

been riding for 42 years now hoping for another 40.

Sucks in the rain and you better keep you mouth shut, a bug at 60 could choke you. :ols:

actually, riding in the rain with rain gear is quite stimulating and full faced helmets keep the bugs out. :silly:

actually, riding in the rain with rain gear is quite stimulating and full faced helmets keep the bugs out. :silly:

As is getting stuck in traffic during a cloudburst...the drowned rat look is so cool.;)

been riding for 42 years now hoping for another 40.

Thats great but if you get into an accident you are about 10 times more likely to be seriously hurt or killed. Even if you drive safe and wear a helmet, etc., you still have to deal with other idiots on the road not to mention things like bad road conditions. You can't carry any significant load back home so no big trips to the grocery. Motorcycles as the sole form of transportation are impractical for >95% of the population. Which makes them a luxury. I do know a medical resident here that rides one to work, because parking here is so expensive, but he also has a car. I'm also wondering if its more than just practically, why it would make sense to buy a ~$10k motorcycle just to save the $120 month parking.

Thats great but if you get into an accident you are about 10 times more likely to be seriously hurt or killed. Even if you drive safe and wear a helmet, etc., you still have to deal with other idiots on the road not to mention things like bad road conditions. You can't carry any significant load back home so no big trips to the grocery. Motorcycles as the sole form of transportation are impractical for >95% of the population. Which makes them a luxury. I do know a medical resident here that rides one to work, because parking here is so expensive, but he also has a car. I'm also wondering if its more than just practically, why it would make sense to buy a ~$10k motorcycle just to save the $120 month parking.

Maybe because many $10k motorcycles are as fast or faster than most $100k cars. :D My wife does all the grocery shopping. :ols: You statement about bikes being impractical for 95% of the population is hyperbole. If 95% of the population rode, we wouldn't use half as much oil, gas would be $1.50 / gal., the roads would be safer, traffic wouldn't exist, parking would be available for all, and the death toll would be reduced by 2/3.

I have several bikes that I paid less than $2k for and all of them get better than 50mpg. I rode more than 12k miles last year saving about $1800 in fuel and hundreds in parking at sporting events and concerts.

A motocyclist that is stuck in traffic? Never seen one of those. :ols:

In my defense I was behind two cops and have never bothered to get a license in all these yrs.....It was certainly tempting,but I think I'm getting old;)

Got the following breakdown of costs for A/C repair. Does this sound reasonable? This is for a 2003 Subaru Forester with a hosed A/C system.

Parts

$125.78 - A/C High Pressure Hose

$368.10 - A/C Compressor

$119.40 - A/C Dryer

Labour

$240 - $80 an hour, 3 hours for replace compressor, dryer, high pressure hose

$853.28 Total

Thank you.

You did get your old parts back, didn't you? It might sound strange, but you do own them so the mechanic does NOT have the right to dispose of them as he sees fit.

Also, by claiming the old parts, you then know for sure what was replaced, not just what was written on the invoice. You can then take the parts to an independent operator and ask them to actually see if the compressor, for example, actually has failed.

Still, pretty cheap repair no matter how you look at it.

I think of vehicle ownership like this: If you can't afford to repair it, you can't afford to drive it.

You did get your old parts back, didn't you? It might sound strange, but you do own them so the mechanic does NOT have the right to dispose of them as he sees fit.

Also, by claiming the old parts, you then know for sure what was replaced, not just what was written on the invoice. You can then take the parts to an independent operator and ask them to actually see if the compressor, for example, actually has failed.

Still, pretty cheap repair no matter how you look at it.

I think of vehicle ownership like this: If you can't afford to repair it, you can't afford to drive it.

Most places I worked, if you didn't let us keep your old part then the bill was a lot higher due to core charges.

Why, the parts belonged to the vehicle, and thus, belonged to the owner of said vehicle. Who's to say there was nothing wrong with a replaced part, and then it gets on-sold on another job for a profit to the mechanic?

The owner is then charged for a replacement part, which they also now own. Unless the workshop buys the parts, then they don't have any right to claim the replacement.

Maybe I was one of the few honest mechanics that are very rare these days!

Why, the parts belonged to the vehicle, and thus, belonged to the owner of said vehicle. Who's to say there was nothing wrong with a replaced part, and then it gets on-sold on another job for a profit to the mechanic?

The owner is then charged for a replacement part, which they also now own. Unless the workshop buys the parts, then they don't have any right to claim the replacement.

Maybe I was one of the few honest mechanics that are very rare these days!

Well I have been out of that line of work for a few years so maybe things have changed but when I did it, you had core charges. Works like this:

Say part is $300. Shop charges you $350 to make a little profit. Shop gives old part back to place it got new part from. Old part is sent back to magical place and rebuilt, then ends up back on shelf somewhere. If you refuse to let them have old part, then original price jumps to say, $500. Reason being, if supplier can't take your old part and rebuild it, then they can't turn a profit on the next re-manufactured part. They instead have to buy a brand new, never used part or try to find one at a junk yard to rebuild. It's like a big recycling circle. That's why when you need a new motor, it's a good bit cheaper if your old block is still usable. If you threw a rod, the block is nothing but scrap metal. But if you just spun a bearing without catastrophic damage to block, you got a roughly $500 credit for your old block.

And so the "core charge". the part you send back is called a core. without it, you get the charge. Has nothing to do with honesty. It's business.

Most places I worked, if you didn't let us keep your old part then the bill was a lot higher due to core charges.

That only applies to particular parts, ie the parts that are sold rebuilt. They charge a core fee so they can rebuild the part and re-sell it as a remanned unit. Usually applies to things like AC compressors, transmissions, drive axle, starters ect. But your average belt, switch, hose, ball joint, tie rod, clutch, brakes, filter, ect, ect do not have core charges and it is absolutely the right of the customer to ask for the old part back at no charge. Most everday repairs don't involve items with core charges, it's mostly the bigger parts that are frequently remanned for resale.

Edit: Also core charge comes from the manufacturer/parts store, not from the mechanic. The mechanic is liable for returning the part for core remanufacture or paying the core fee and obviously, they're going to charge you the core fee if you aren't willing to let them give the part back to the parts store.

A smart owner will ask for the return of all the old parts AFTER he has paid the bill. It's usually the last thing I do before leaving the workshop.

That isn't standard practice here in the States. Typical drivers in the DC area probably put 20-25K miles on their car a year. They aren't bickering over the parts. Not sure how it is in Australia.

That only applies to particular parts, ie the parts that are sold rebuilt. They charge a core fee so they can rebuild the part and re-sell it as a remanned unit. Usually applies to things like AC compressors, transmissions, drive axle, starters ect. But your average belt, switch, hose, ball joint, tie rod, clutch, brakes, filter, ect, ect do not have core charges and it is absolutely the right of the customer to ask for the old part back at no charge. Most everday repairs don't involve items with core charges, it's mostly the bigger parts that are frequently remanned for resale.

Edit: Also core charge comes from the manufacturer/parts store, not from the mechanic. The mechanic is liable for returning the part for core remanufacture or paying the core fee and obviously, they're going to charge you the core fee if you aren't willing to let them give the part back to the parts store.

Well an AC compressor definetly had a core charge and I would imagine the dryer does also. So yes, he could have asked for the hose back without having to pay for it.

Well an AC compressor definetly had a core charge and I would imagine the dryer does also. So yes, he could have asked for the hose back without having to pay for it.

I don't think compressors can be rebuilt. it is a hermatically sealed unit (welded shut), when they go they are generally braised shut and recycled. No sense in asking for it back.

I don't think compressors can be rebuilt. it is a hermatically sealed unit (welded shut), when they go they are generally braised shut and recycled. No sense in asking for it back.

they still re-build compressors. That I am sure of. It's similar to a torque converter. Welds cut, part rebuilt, and re-welded. Most people (not saying you) don't ever even realize that the "new" part they pay for isn't really new. But they are usually saving about 50% by not getting that new part.

they still re-build compressors. That I am sure of. It's similar to a torque converter. Welds cut, part rebuilt, and re-welded. Most people (not saying you) don't ever even realize that the "new" part they pay for isn't really new. But they are usually saving about 50% by not getting that new part.

Again, Im just going on the compressors I replace in Residential AC situations. If a compressor is over amping, or is in Locked Rotor, its not going to be rebuilt. Maybe in the car industry, but in residential and commercial ac, not only is cutting the welds and replacing the guts time consuming, replacing the piston, arm or the electrical components, then refilling the compressor with oil, would be expensive within itself and you cannot guarantee the quality of a rebuilt compressor. if your welds arent quality(they should look like a roll of dimes), there will be no vacuum, and the compressor will not work. if oil gets into the line sets, you have to then replace those. You can under fill the compressor with oil, and not know until you get it up and running. Waay too many variables and in the end, its not cost effective, and its not a quality replacement. Compressors are not made to be refurbished... that's why they are hermatically sealed. Any compressor I replace, I get directly from the factory, and I usually send the old compressors back to the company for a rebate if they are under warranty. they don't rebuild them, they proporly drain the oil and recycle them.

Well I'm not talking about residential AC compressors. I know nothing about them. I am talking about automotive compressors. And those get rebuilt. Maybe because they are not as complex? I have no idea how it works out from a business aspect but I know they do it.

Really though, America needs to intervene on these per hour rates for some of our 'blue collar professions'. $80 hour.... outrageous. And frankly, prolly knocked it out in 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

That is the corruption.

Archived