Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Teen girl attempting around the world sail is missing(update!!)

sideshow24

Oh NO!!! I just saw a Dateline story on her and other kids who are accomplishing amazing feats (like the youngest kid who just summited Everest).

Normally I am pretty strong on protecting kids. But a lot of these kids have been climbing, sailing, etc. since they were practically born. In these situations, I don't think their ages are proportionate to their abilities in these endeavors. I believe this girl made it to South Africa (from So Cal) last year, then had a malfunction on her boat that forced her to go in for repairs, thereby halting her pursuit of sailing around the world without stopping.

So yeah, I'm pretty trusting of this girl's abilities in sailing. I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable allowing that as a parent, I don't really know though. But I don't think these parents are out of their minds letting their daughter do this. This girl is very experienced.

I don't think the fact that she's 16 has any bearing on her ability to do this. This is not the kids down the street. She's been sailing all her life, her age doesn't make a difference in her ability.

If you want to claim a 16-year-old is not capable of making a rational decision, maybe so, I don't know the girl. An Australian kid just recently completed the same journey and I don't remember the same level of scorn for those parents. I kind of fault this girl's folks also - but I think that's at least partly because things don't look promising.

Hope she makes it.

being alone relying only on yourself for survival is mentally taxing. Way too much for a 16 year old.

What is the benefit for doing it at 16? The risk to reward ratio is way too low for any parent to allow this.

being alone relying only on yourself for survival is mentally taxing. Way too much for a 16 year old.

What is the benefit for doing it at 16? The risk to reward ratio is way too low for any parent to allow this.

The benefit is that she can set a world record.

This girl has sailed extremely far distances by herself prior to this and was no worse for the wear. People seem to get upset about this when something does happen, but have nothing to say about all the cases of kids sailing by themselves when the story turns out happily and they break and create new records.

We all have to die some day, some people deal with it in different ways like she has! She has to be mature way behind her years to even think of completing such a challenge, I say bravo to her for being brave. I hope they find her alive, if they dont she died doing what she loves, how many people can say that?

This girl has sailed extremely far distances by herself prior to this and was no worse for the wear. People seem to get upset about this when something does happen, but have nothing to say about all the cases of kids sailing by themselves when the story turns out happily and they break and create new records.

Is a record (aka something written on a piece of paper) worth your life? I hope it is for her because she risked it all.

Is a record (aka something written on a piece of paper) worth your life? I hope it is for her because she risked it all.

You have to understand how people like that work, what makes them itch. They are not pencil pushers, they cant sit behind a desk all day, they have to get their hands dirty, feel the air go through their hair and push the envelope to feel alive! What is wrong/high risk/scary to you is a way of life for people like her, its not up to you to judge! Her and her family knew the risks involved, if every person thinks like you do they will never be any expeditions to everest, flying to the moon, space travel etc... To live, you have to risk death!

This is one of the few topics I feel have a very unique perspective. I work in the sailing industry and have been sailing for most of my life. I've done buoy racing, long distance racing and some limited offshore work.

I have been in boats that have been knocked down, broken booms in 50 knot gusts and seen large waves with a short frequency. I will adamantly say that under no circumstance would I let my sixteen year old child attempt this. To many variables come into play that require so much knowledge and experience. There is a reason that a lot of the solo circumnav races are done by people in their mid twenties and early thirties they are so demanding and require so much skill and knowledge.

Does she have the experience to operate and set a drogue, try-sail and storm jib. Does she understand reefing her sails and steering under storm sail. Can she physically handle to tiller steer the boat if the wheel becomes inoperable. So much can go wrong on this type of trip that I could never get behind my child doing this. It's just my opinion but I find it hard to believe that a 16 year old could have both the physical and mental capacity to deal with a worst case scenario event, like the one she is in now.

Everyone forgets how dangerous water is, the open ocean will kill your ass in minutes if your not careful.

This is one of the few topics I feel have a very unique perspective. I work in the sailing industry and have been sailing for most of my life. I've done buoy racing, long distance racing and some limited offshore work.

I have been in boats that have been knocked down, broken booms in 50 knot gusts and seen large waves with a short frequency. I will adamantly say that under no circumstance would I let my sixteen year old child attempt this. To many variables come into play that require so much knowledge and experience. There is a reason that a lot of the solo circumnav races are done by people in their mid twenties and early thirties they are so demanding and require so much skill and knowledge.

Does she have the experience to operate and set a drogue, try-sail and storm jib. Does she understand reefing her sails and steering under storm sail. Can she physically handle to tiller still the boat if the wheel becomes inoperable. So much can go wrong on this type of trip that I could never get behind my child doing this. It's just my opinion but I find it hard to believe that a 16 year old could have both the physical and mental capacity to deal with a worst case scenario event, like the one she is in now.

Everyone forgets how dangerous water is, the open ocean will kill your ass in minutes if your not careful.

Thanks for your thoughts. I've actually sailed a few times myself, but I wouldn't consider myself experienced at all, at least not at your level :)

Things is, this girl has sailed significant distances by herself on many, many, many occasions. Just last year, she made it to South Africa with no problems. I saw her interviewed and watched her parents interviewed, they didn't seem like crazy parents.

This girl has a dream. Doing stuff like this makes her tick. She is extremely experienced in this, probably moreso than a lot of people who sail. Accidents can happen, but I don't think you should let that prevent someone from accomplishing their dream, particularly when they've demonstrated on multiple occasions that they have the mental and physical fortitude to sail long distances by themselves...

To some people it's worth every risk..... It's a chance at mortality a chance at changing history.

You have to understand how people like that work, what makes them itch. They are not pencil pushers, they cant sit behind a desk all day, they have to get their hands dirty, feel the air go through their hair and push the envelope to feel alive! What is wrong/high risk/scary to you is a way of life for people like her, its not up to you to judge! Her and her family knew the risks involved, if every person thinks like you do they will never be any expeditions to everest, flying to the moon, space travel etc... To live, you have to risk death!

:applause::applause::applause: Spot on sir!..

I guess my point is does that person really know that about themselves at 16? I don't know maybe she does. But to me for someone at the age it seems pushed on or encouraged by the parents.

I don't think at that age someone is properly informed of all the risks that may be associated. There is still a huge feeling of invincibility at that age where they just assume nothing bad will happen.

I think your last part which I bolded is a big of an exaggeration. Most of those endeavors don't always happen the first time at that young of an age. There is nothing wrong with her attempting the feet but it's that age that concerns me.

We all did or wanted to do stupid stuff in high school, maybe I am just risk adverse in that aspect, but there is a limit that should be allowed.

I was an Eagle Scout and I think being prepared is appropriate here. I don't think at 16 she was properly prepared for this, thus the situation she is currently in.

Unless you know the 16 year old in question, you really do not have the knowledge to say that.

That is true I am generalizing. But judging by the fact she had to call her parents for how to restart a flooded motor do you think she was prepared for this?

Well said, it is not something I would encourage,but then you usually don't have too .....If they have the itch,it will get scratched in some manner.

Hope she comes thru OK and no other lives are lost in the search/rescue.

I don't know, maybe I'm too old fashioned in my views but what parent in their right mind would allow a 16 year old girl to try and sail around the world by herself?
And not to digress...but what kind of Parents let their 16 year old daughter sail around the world by themselves? I sure as hell wouldn't, maybe I am a worry wart...but it's situations like this that would back up my worrying.

Edit: Sorry started to reply and stepped away for a second. Now I see the same comment a few posts above me, but I agree...stupid....STUPID idea by the Parents.

By that thought, what kind of parent would let their 16 year old drive a car by herself? I MEAN WHAT IDIOTS!!! Give me a break. A 16 year has more of a chance dying in a car accident than a sailing mishap.

http://www.car-accident-advice.com/teen-car-accidents.html

I applaud these parents for letting their child pursue her dreams and ambitions. Of course they may always second guess themselves if something major is wrong. If something is going to go wrong, it's going to go wrong no matter whether you are in the middle of Indian Ocean or if you are a leisure drive to the mall.

First and foremost - don't think for a second that this is a tragedy. A tragedy is when a Mom and her 2 kids get killed by a drunk driver.

It may sound heartless, but I can't really offer that much sympathy to this girl. To her family, absolutely, but not to her. Of course I hope she turns out OK, but who knows if she's alive at this point.

1 out of 4 people who attempt to climb Mt. Everest die. To all that have died, you gotta admire how much it meant to them to do it, despite the incredible danger.

This girl knew what she was getting into. If she died because of it, I'm not going to call it anything other than taking a gamble and losing. I respect her for what she is trying (tried) to do, but I'm not gonna be sad that she took an INCREDIBLE risk and died because of it.

Unless you know the 16 year old in question, you really do not have the knowledge to say that.

Exactly what Longshot said. Unless you know this teenager yourself, you can't sit here and say that with much validity. Hell, you talk as if you've done it yourself. Have you had to be alone and rely on yourself to survive? How do you know mentally taxing it is? Give us details on your life survival you went through that was so mentally taxing.

Archived