Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Teen girl attempting around the world sail is missing(update!!)

sideshow24

Why the big push by this kid's parents, and presumably the kid, to go around the world by herself at 16? Was it the going around the world part, or the fact that she was trying to set a record?

My kid, experienced sailor or not, would not have gone: a) by herself, b)at that age and c)without having a better reason than "I want to see what it's like".

Under certain conditions I would allow it. The kid would have world-class experience, she would be with a crew and she would be involved in a sanctioned race. The importance of that last part is that if trouble occurs, there are other vessels (racers or officials) somewhat nearby to offer aid.

Chasing the Sunderland dream as Abby did was foolhardy at best. There's nothing proven by being the youngest girl to sail solo around the world. Thankfully Guinness World Records I believe no longer recognizes feats of danger like this done by people younger than 16. That's one way to stop the insanity.

If she had done this 200 years ago, technology willing, she'd have been found dead some number of weeks later if her boat had washed ashore.

Amelia Earhardt first flew a Trans-Atlantic flight in 1928, as a passenger, along with a trained pilot and co-pilot. Later, in 1932, she flew another Trans-Atlantic flight, this time by herself.

In 1935, she tried a flight around the globe. The result of her efforts? She gained perpetual fame and proved she could die in a plane crash, although she wasn't legally declared dead until about 1.5 years later.

Abby Sunderland almost proved the same thing. I hope she realizes her good fortune.

I understand sometimes you take chances. I think her parents should have realized that sometimes the chances are too great to take.

Why the big push by this kid's parents, and presumably the kid, to go around the world by herself at 16? Was it the going around the world part, or the fact that she was trying to set a record?

It was an attempt to reclaim the record, on behalf of the family, that is now held by Jessica Watson. She beat the record that was held by Abby's brother.

It was an attempt to reclaim the record, on behalf of the family, that is now held by Jessica Watson. She beat the record that was held by Abby's brother.
This does reek of Stage Mom Syndrome, doesn't it?

By the way the U.S. Sailing Association refused to sponsor Sunderland's bid, considering it too dangerous.

Rocky, the problem was Abby had to go ashore to get her boat fixed, so by the time she reached the Southern (Indian) Ocean, the record was but a dream and it was just an ordinary ocean cruise, but by a lone 16yo female. Not even newsworthy by that stage.
Good grief. We get it that an Australian girl managed to complete the trip, apparently plumping up national pride to absurd levels in the process.

16 year old girl attempting a solo circumnavigation is not an "ordinary ocean cruise", nor is it "Not even newsworthy".

partially correct. it was certainly an attempt to break a record - but not an attempt to reclaim it. her trip has been in the planning stages for three years which is well before any attempt by her brother or watson.

This does reek of Stage Mom Syndrome, doesn't it?

By the way the U.S. Sailing Association refused to sponsor Sunderland's bid, considering it too dangerous.

no, it is more of a product of extreme type a personality. type a people push themselves to the max. type b people, such as yourself, try to seek too much reason for not pushing oneself to the limits. thus, some type b-s find it easy to criticize a type a when they fail.

but type a people fail on a regular basis, but they push themselves harder to ovecome future obstacles and do their best to reach a goal. you see it in highly successful business owners who have failed at times. you see it in the most talented of athletes who fail at times. you see it in roz savage, the british woman who just completed her solo rowing across the pacific. roz failed on her first attempt, but it did not stop her.

next year, roz will row solo across the indian ocean. you can do a search on my name and see who started the thread on roz. as a type a, i can relate a bit to those who are extreme type a. they don't fear death. however, they certainly respect it and are constantly challenging themselves in many ways. it's a significant part of their personality.

as for the sailing association not sponsoring abby, that is to be expected. it has been more than ten years since that group has chosen to support any attempt at sailing around the world. it's not a big deal.

rocky - one note about my daughter's adventure. i guess you were thinking that it is much more dangerous to sail the oceans as opposed to biking across the lower 48. sure, i was concerned when she crossed the northern rockies - a place that is full of mountain lions, grizzlies, bobcats, etc. she knew the risks, but careful planning was done and she educated herself on every safety measure. it's obvious that abby did the same thing - she never panicked and that expertise guided her to a safe conclusion. there were no gurantees for either one or miss watson, but they had the knowledge to see them through each adventure.

due for another round of medical stuff - be back later this afternoon if you wish to continue.

next year, roz will row solo across the indian ocean. you can do a search on my name and see who started the thread on roz. as a type a, i can relate a bit to those who are extreme type a. they don't fear death. however, they certainly respect it and are constantly challenging themselves in many ways. it's a significant part of their personality.

Hey bro. I get it. You are proud of your type A personality. You know nothing about me or my type from posts about another subject on a message board.

I have maintained from the beginning that I thought this was about the parents exploiting their child for financial gain as evidenced by the two commerce sites, book deal and potential reality TV show linked to their daughter, who as a minor is not able to enter into contracts herself.

http://www.abby16.com/

http://store.luckykattv.com/abby-sunderland.html

I don't give a **** about Roz whatsername. But I assume she is an adult capable of making her own decisions. This child is not.

Archived