Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Teen girl attempting around the world sail is missing(update!!)

sideshow24

The point was that due to experience would the more experienced sailor put themselves in a better position to avoid the huge storms or position the boat better.

Hard to say but while it's not doubt she has technical sailing experience she lacks real life experience out in the water and through bad storms that a very experienced sailor would have.

But when and how does that change?

How long should YOU be held back because of age and experience?

If she was pushed into this unprepared it is a different matter,but I do not see that.

The point was that due to experience would the more experienced sailor put themselves in a better position to avoid the huge storms or position the boat better.

Hard to say but while it's not doubt she has technical sailing experience she lacks real life experience out in the water and through bad storms that a very experienced sailor would have.

Meh, none of us know what the conditions were out there and whether or not a 40 y/o would or would not have had this occur to his/her boat.

My opinion is that people are quick to jump on her because she's 16 and automatically say this is her fault...without any proof that someone older wouldn't have had the same damage to the boat, or any proof that someone older would definitely have steered around the storm. No one knows how big the storm was or if she even had time to steer completely "around" it. It's "she's 16 and it's her fault" and there is no proof of that.

What can be questioned, IMO, is the original judgement call to embark upon a sailing trip that would place someone in the Indian Ocean during winter.

Actually, it says a "source" claims he signed a deal.

I hope to God she makes it through okay. If something bad happens to her, her parents are gonna get slaughtered in the media. I know if I had a 16 year old girl, I'd think twice about letting her sail around the world with an experienced sailor onboard with her. No way in hell would I let her go out there by herself. That's just not a smart thing to do.

No "experienced" sailor is going to spend a month alone on a boat with MY little princess! I'd rather her go alone, thank you!

Meh, none of us know what the conditions were out there and whether or not a 40 y/o would or would not have had this occur to his/her boat.

My opinion is that people are quick to jump on her because she's 16 and automatically say this is her fault...without any proof that someone older wouldn't have had the same damage to the boat, or any proof that someone older would definitely have steered around the storm. No one knows how big the storm was or if she even had time to steer completely "around" it. It's "she's 16 and it's her fault" and there is no proof of that.

What can be questioned, IMO, is the original judgement call to embark upon a sailing trip that would place someone in the Indian Ocean during winter.

True on both counts. My bad on the source I just read it too quickly.

And yes people are going to be quick to jump on her because it is a very dangerous thing she did. She hopefully knew if she wasn't successful that she would be criticized due to her lack of skill even if that may not be the case.

In my mind that is one of the risks of the trip. Glad she is safe I just think the story was a little something fishy too it with this reality show background and due to her age. Just my opinion though.

i've been waiting for someone to figure out why she was in the southern indian ocean - thought someone would get it by now.

pirates. somalian pirates are now going as much as a thousand miles from their shoreline. they still hold a british couple who was sailing around the world. those waters are not the place to be if you are a sixteen year old girl.

Agree with everything you just said, including the timing of the sail. The only additions I have are:

1) I think she and the Aussie girl set sail pretty much the same time, didn't they? It was pretty close. But Sunderland had a delay for repairs that didn't help.

2) The only thing I've seen that ticked me off was the mother, when asked about reimbursement for the rescue, saying "What price would you put on the life of a child?" Ok, NOW she's a child? You put her out on the water with the big boys and girls, and I support that, but please don't start in with that business now that its time to pay the piper.

2) The only thing I've seen that ticked me off was the mother, when asked about reimbursement for the rescue, saying "What price would you put on the life of a child?" Ok, NOW she's a child? You put her out on the water with the big boys and girls, and I support that, but please don't start in with that business now that its time to pay the piper.

I agree,and support Keast suggestion for ins requirements or legal liability for extreme stunts

i've been waiting for someone to figure out why she was in the southern indian ocean - thought someone would get it by now.

pirates. somalian pirates are now going as much as a thousand miles from their shoreline. they still hold a british couple who was sailing around the world. those waters are not the place to be if you are a sixteen year old girl.

Yeah, I'm aware of the pirate problem, concentrated in the north, I just wonder why she couldn't have timed it where she wasn't sailing through during winter.

I don't know enough about the best sailing times in the southern Indian Ocean. I know that the cyclone season is from November through the end of March, at least from what I remember in Madagascar...and of course we got slammed with a cyclone pretty much the last week of cyclone season when I was over there.

I just don't know enough about sailing to know if it would have been best to go through the south indian ocean, and ocean that seems to be pretty dangerous, climate-wise.

I'm sure you can find more than a tiny, tiny minority of people who would agree with the ludicrous suggestion that if family members gain any improvement whatsoever in their own lives because of the extraordinary achievements of one person, then those family members must be exploiting that person.
I'm still sticking with the parents are looking to cash in from this. Read the CBS story linked in prior posts if you haven't yet.

And keastman bully for you for linking the story. It's nice to see people who may have had a contrary opinion keep an open mind.

I'm still sticking with the parents are looking to cash in from this. Read the CBS story linked in prior posts if you haven't yet.

And keastman bully for you for linking the story. It's nice to see people who may have had a contrary opinion keep an open mind.

the media huh? trust them do you? well, ok. but take a look at abby's latest blog entry...

http://soloround.blogspot.com/2010/06/answers-to-critics.html

Answers to the Critics

We are so thankful once again for all of you who understand and support Abby’s spirit of adventure and for those of you who have the humility to give the respect that Abby and her team of experts deserve. It is impossible to answer every criticism. There are so many who are only hearing of Abby for the first time and who, due to a lack of understanding and knowledge, accept what the media is saying without question or without discerning that they could be wrong or the motives of those involved may not be sincere. We will attempt to comment on several themes of concern:

LETTER FROM THE AUSTRALIAN SEARCH & RESCUE

Can you put a message on your blog informing your readers that the Australian government has not requested any recovery cost for Abby’s search and recovery. In fact the Govt here has been in the media and stated that fact several times. I doubt this got coverage in the US.

Australia like the US have always responded to requests for help and have provided whatever resources are required. At no stage have we asked for cost recovery. Likewise domestic search and rescue have never requested payment for services. If a person wishes to make a contribution to the costs then that is their call. It is not expected or asked for.

The cost recovery stuff is a beat up by the media. They do it every time. Don’t get sucked in by it. Unfortunately some of the comments I have read on some blogs seems to paint Australians as a bunch of tight arses who will only rescue people if they have a cheque book. This has never been the case as you have found out.

Let’s not let the media hijack a good story. Likewise don’t become a victim of it by playing into their hands.

Bottom line is, don’t get sucked in by the media. I would like a clarification on your blog just letting your readers know that the Australian Government has not requested payment nor would they. Let’s not let the media portray the many groups that were involved in Abby’s rescue as a bunch of people motivated and driven by money. This is not the case.

-Search and Rescue Volunteer Perth.

REALITY SHOW

Laurence and I were approached by Magnetic Entertainment last year before Abby departed to shop a reality TV show based on our family. Abby's trip was already sponsored. Their idea was to do an inspiring show about Zac and Abby’s adventures, what our family was like and what made them as strong and independent as they are. The show was shopped and not sold. All rights were returned to us. There is no reality TV show or documentary in the works and we will not be persuing one. We find it ironic that the media, who are spreading gossip and sensationalizing Abby’s story for profit, have the nerve to criticize us for supposedly doing the same thing – very ironic.

TOO FAR SOUTH, TOO LATE IN THE SEASON

Abby's trip was being watched and guided daily by Commander’s Weather, a team of meteorologists that have been routing sailboats around the world for 30 years. Their clients include professional sailors such as Steve Fossett, Ellen MacArthur and PUMA Ocean Racing.

From meteorologist Ken Campbell:

1st, we would not have been involved in this project if we thought this was a publicity stunt or Abby was not capable

2nd, Abby more than proved that she was fully capable, so if everybody agreed to continue, we were on board with you

3rd, we have refused many projects and clients - we have over 6000 clients, but we will not work with somebody that is not capable or does something we consider too dangerous

We were late crossing the Indian Ocean, but I felt Abby was fully capable. Do we handle sailors crossing the North Atlantic in December? Sure, but they follow our rules and we push them as far S as possible and avoid headwinds. We tried to keep her as far N as possible, but there is such a thing as too far N and the worst situation of all would be headwinds and we did avoid those.

Very few people have ever forecast weather there (the southern Indian Ocean), let alone route sailboats. This storm was not unusual for that location, for that time of year and the strategy was the best there could be for that situation

You are great, loving and caring parents, with a remarkable daughter and most of all, she is safe to try again! She is a fine example of the true human spirit! That is what should be celebrated, not criticized. By the way, she is 16, not 8.

BB, thanks for that, it answers pretty much everything. I had wondered about the $300K price tag since early on it had been reported the Australians don't and wouldn't charge for a rescue. Good to know most of this has been stirred up by scandal-seeking journalists, agenda-driven commentators and armchair sailing experts, none of whom are close enough to the situation to make informed judgements.

You are great, loving and caring parents, with a remarkable daughter and most of all, she is safe to try again! She is a fine example of the true human spirit! That is what should be celebrated, not criticized. By the way, she is 16, not 8.

Oh no problem. You don’t think the parents endangered their daughter for personal gain. The kid will write a book which the patents will profit from. There are already two commerce sites set up tied to this girl’s sailing trip.

According to their local paper, a reality show was planned but recently scrapped.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/06/abby-sunderlands-family-cut-ties-with-tv-reality-show-producer.html

I think this is a prime example of a stage door parent pushing their underage child. You may think setting a 16 year old adrift in the Indian Ocean in summer is normal child development. I do not.

You may think setting a 16 year old adrift in the Indian Ocean in summer is normal child development. I do not.

It may be summer where you are, or even where she set sail from, but to send anyone unaccompanied into the Southern Indian Ocean at this time of year (remember, down here it's winter) is just asking for trouble. Even experienced sailors have been caught out, so what chance did a 16yo have?

She should have given up when she had to go ashore for repairs the first time. The record attempt was lost, so she should have packed up and headed home whilst she still had a boat to bring home!

Oh no problem. You don’t think the parents endangered their daughter for personal gain. The kid will write a book which the patents will profit from. There are already two commerce sites set up tied to this girl’s sailing trip.

According to their local paper, a reality show was planned but recently scrapped.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/06/abby-sunderlands-family-cut-ties-with-tv-reality-show-producer.html

I think this is a prime example of a stage door parent pushing their underage child. You may think setting a 16 year old adrift in the Indian Ocean in summer is normal child development. I do not.

i'm the father of a daughter who bicycled with a team of young ladies from netarts, oregon to belmar, nj back in the summer of 2000. she takes after her father who is a type a personality - i ran a highly successful business for many years. she has the same competitive edge. i supported her 100%.

abby and her brother are extreme type a personalities. you will never be able to understand it. but there is nothing wrong with being a type b as you probably know - they are cut from a different mold than you.

here is the clincher. don't concern yourself with them. let them live their lives. they've done just fine without you and i'm sure that will continue to be the case. if they get a show on tv, you have the right to change the channel. what they do is none of your business. if you have a problem with how they can profit from it, then that is your problem, not theirs.

also, don't be offended too much if, someday, you are accused of sheltering your children too much. but guess what? that is your business, isn't it? let the sunderlands do as they please and let rocky do as he pleases.

It's not because of who it was; we have had our fair share of poor-bugger-me sailors get into trouble in that part of the world, and it has cost a **** load to not only rescue them, but to find them in the first place. The argument is that if someone knowingly puts themselves in a position of high risk, then why should we pay the cost of a rescue mission. Isn't that what insurance would have been for?

Oh, and if you think about it, we only got involved in WWII because you needed our help, but that's for another thread.

guess what? the united states rescues countless people too - mostly the coast guard. many of them are not citizens. heck, we send relief supplies to iran after an earthquake. why? because that is what we do.

when i read how the rescue service of australia responded to the sunderlands, it did my heart good. for the few citizens of australia who feel cheated of their money in this situation, so be it. in the future, we could turn our back during a moment of need. but we won't. why? because that is what we do.

look forward to continuing later - heading into philly for a checkup. i'll send the bill to Mr. Kevin Rudd. :D

don't concern yourself with them. let them live their lives. they've done just fine without you and i'm sure that will continue to be the case. if they get a show on tv, you have the right to change the channel. what they do is none of your business. if you have a problem with how they can profit from it, then that is your problem, not theirs.

also, don't be offended too much if, someday, you are accused of sheltering your children too much. but guess what? that is your business, isn't it? let the sunderlands do as they please and let rocky do as he pleases.

I'm not sure bicycling in a group is the same as solo sailing across the continent.

I have the same concern for this girl that I had for the kid who came back high from the dentist whose father now works on the lecture circuit. The parents are exploiting their child for financial gain plus this story has the added element of endangering their child. Good times.

Oh, and if you think about it, we only got involved in WWII because you needed our help, but that's for another thread.
Gee, thanks for the help mate, couldn't have done it without you. :doh:

Is that what you guys tell yourselves? Unbelievably limited view of history.

btw - not mocking the contributions the Aussies gave or the sacrifices they made. But I AM mocking the idea that this was solely for the US's benefit, that helping us was the "only" reason Australia became involved in the conflict.

Archived