Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES 53 MAN ROSTER: Quarterback (Choose 2)

KDawg

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The way its going right now it looks like it's going to be Jurgensen, Baugh and Theismann (still almost three full days to vote, though). But, I'd like to see Williams get some more votes to get into the wildcard voting race. I think he needs 22 to tie for the tenth spot.

I didn't vote for them Baugh or Sonny because I was viewing it as not only their performance, but what the teams that they led did. I put more of an emphasis on how their teams did with them at the helm than I did personal accomplishments. Not saying it's the only way to judge, but it's how I did it.

Ummm, Baugh played in 6 NFL Championship games. (even winning it in his rookie year) And He's the only Redskins QB to win multiple NFL championships.

Baugh is a no brainer. Have to go with Williams as #2. Orchestrated 'the Quarter', most points scored in a single quarter in a SB.

Suffered quite a bit of abuse by Broncos fans - but it only lasted 15 min's. After that, all they had coming out of their pie holes was crow feathers.

Sammy and Sonny. You get into the HOF, you get my vote.

Joey T was good for a very short stretch, really. Doug was GREAT for 3-4 games. Ryp was good for a season.

Longevity is what I am looking for. Sonny and Sammy. Sonny probably could still wing it around better than some QBs out there. :)

Ummm, Baugh played in 6 NFL Championship games. (even winning it in his rookie year)

I was talking Super Bowl era, I should have clarified. For reasons unbeknownst to me, I didn't take into account pre-super bowl championships. :silly:

I stand by my second reason, though :D

I was talking Super Bowl era, I should have clarified. For reasons unbeknownst to me, I didn't take into account pre-super bowl championships. :silly:

I stand by my second reason, though :D

He is the starting QB on the all-time NFL team (ahead of Otto Graham, Johnny unitas and Joe Montana), but you dont even vote him onto the Redskins?

i voted BAUGH & JOE T...

in my opinion, even though i appreciate them as Skins, Ryp and Williams were just average guys on REALLY great teams. As long as they didnt screw up the Skins were golden =)

just a side-note:

my roommate, who is also a Skins fan, but his #1 team is the Dolphins, always asks why no one ever brings up the fact that Williams fumbled when he got hurt in that Super Bowl. i haven't seen a replay of the entire play for that series, but he claims Doug fumbled the ball and no one paid any attn to it cause they were more worried about him being injured. I always thought his knee went down before the ball rolled out of his hands.

any have any opinions on that?

my roommate, who is also a Skins fan, but his #1 team is the Dolphins, always asks why no one ever brings up the fact that Williams fumbled when he got hurt in that Super Bowl. i haven't seen a replay of the entire play for that series, but he claims Doug fumbled the ball and no one paid any attn to it cause they were more worried about him being injured. I always thought his knee went down before the ball rolled out of his hands.

any have any opinions on that?

His knee was down but it was extremely questionable as to whether or not anyone touched him before the ball came loose.

His knee was down but it was extremely questionable as to whether or not anyone touched him before the ball came loose.

yea, i'm guessing it was a mute point for the most part, since no one on the Broncos defense picked it up or tried to advance it down field or make any issues of it at all, at least during the game.

just curious if that game would of played out the same way had someone picked the ball up and ran it in for a TD.

MeastoftheEast yea, i'm guessing it was a mute point for the most part, since no one on the Broncos defense picked it up or tried to advance it down field or make any issues of it at all, at least during the game.

just curious if that game would of played out the same way had someone picked the ball up and ran it in for a TD.

I think you meant Dolphins. Bronc's got their collective butts kicked by the 'Skins (42-10)...

no, i mean Broncos.

Doug Williams didnt play in the Dolphins Super Bowl ;)

I know we killed the Broncos, but a fumble recovery for a TD might of swayed the momentum even more to the Broncos and maybe Doug doesnt come back out and whip up on them, maybe he does, just something i was thinking about, due to prompting from my roommate.

I voted for Sammy Baugh (no brainer) and Joe Theismann who to me, because of the time when I grew up, is THE Quarterback of "My" Washington Redskins.

Certainly Sonny should be voted number two based on career numbers and HOF status but after selecting Sammy, I decided to go with my personal choice.

For me the top 5:

1. Sammy

2. Joey T

3. Sonny

4. Ryp

5. Billy Kilmer

He is the starting QB on the all-time NFL team (ahead of Otto Graham, Johnny unitas and Joe Montana), but you dont even vote him onto the Redskins?

Again, besides the championship issue (which I brain farted on), Baugh's already on the Skins all time as a corner and punter. I just wanted to see some new names.

That's not a rip on him, there are just other qualified players, and he's already up there (twice as many times as anyone else)

no, i mean Broncos.

Doug Williams didnt play in the Dolphins Super Bowl ;)

I know we killed the Broncos, but a fumble recovery for a TD might of swayed the momentum even more to the Broncos and maybe Doug doesnt come back out and whip up on them, maybe he does, just something i was thinking about, due to prompting from my roommate.

Point taken. :cheers:

On the other hand, I think that every dog has his day and this was Doug's Dog Day. ;)

With all due respect to your roommate, I think that no matter what, fate was gonna smile on Williams on that particular moment.

Maybe it is just a bit from 'Damn Yankees".

The official ruling at that time (1988) was that Williams essentially gave himself up when he went down injured. He flipped the ball in the air and the Broncos actually did recover the apparent fumble, but the ref made the call that Williams gave himself up and was called down at the spot.

Another interesting play in that game was Ricky Sanders fumbled kickoff return. It appeared the Broncos had recovered it but somehow a Redskin dug the ball out and fought for it under the pile. Think about it. The Broncos could have scored twice more on those two plays and could have been up 24-0.

And I picked Baugh and Sonny.

The official ruling at that time (1988) was that Williams essentially gave himself up when he went down injured. He flipped the ball in the air and the Broncos actually did recover the apparent fumble, but the ref made the call that Williams gave himself up and was called down at the spot.

Another interesting play in that game was Ricky Sanders fumbled kickoff return. It appeared the Broncos had recovered it but somehow a Redskin dug the ball out and fought for it under the pile. Think about it. The Broncos could have scored twice more on those two plays and could have been up 24-0.

And I picked Baugh and Sonny.

It was fate, pure and simple :helmet:

Archived