Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When did Sports Jersey "fever" take over?

NoCalMike

Watching old sports footage from the 80's and back, I notice most fans are either in non-sports related clothing, or maybe a team-related t-shirt/jacket, but one thing you didn't really see back then was stadiums filled with actual jerseys.

Now it almost seems that wearing a jersey of your favorite player is a litmus test to how die-hard a fan you really are.

I have no problem with people buying jerseys(I own a few myself) however, when did this craze take over? Does it now in retrospect seem more like a marketing/money scheme by professional sports as a new expensive way of revenue from fans? Is it even worth buying jerseys anymore in the world of free agency? The next two jersey I plan to own, if I ever decide to pull the trigger, is Darrell Green, spent his entire career in DC, and a HOFer.

Final question: What sport started the jersey craze or was it all of the major sports at once?

I think it started in the 90's and both NFL and NBA simultaneously stsrted it. Factor in the throwback jerseys and combined with the urban hip hop guys wearing MLB shirts, then across the pond in Europe guys wearing soccer kits. There you have it.

I think it's worth it in certain cases. For instance, if you know that your favorite player is excellent and you know that he is going to be around for awhile (let's say Ray Lewis/Ed Reed/Ray Rice, in my case), you might as well get the jersey if you're into them.

In addition, if you happen to share a last name with a player on the team it doesn't matter whether or not they leave via FA.

I've always enjoyed wearing jerseys at a game. Easy way to show the colors, show a player that you support, etc.

In warmer weather, they are also a very light weight material that will slightly with how warm it is.

I love jerseys. As someone who has always loved athletics, they are just so much easier to wear. And, they are much more casual. I hate when people get dressed up in button down shirts and dress pants to go to a football game. Dress for the occasion. The jersey is the ultimate in occasion dressing :ols:

I've always enjoyed wearing jerseys at a game. Easy way to show the colors, show a player that you support, etc.

In warmer weather, they are also a very light weight material that will slightly with how warm it is.

I love jerseys. As someone who has always loved athletics, they are just so much easier to wear. And, they are much more casual. I hate when people get dressed up in button down shirts and dress pants to go to a football game. Dress for the occasion. The jersey is the ultimate in occasion dressing :ols:

It does not have to be contained to just jersey wearing. They can still wear t-shirts, jackets, sweatshirts or team polo shirts. It would be quite a sight to see a stadium filled with 100% jersey wearing people.

Mid-90's is when you started to see many jersey's becoming available to the public.

I always thought it was the replica NBA jersey's that got things going

I think this is correct. I've had my Darrell Green jersey for a long time, since my days at Michigan (when some idiot thought I was rocking a Florida State jersey but maybe he was just drunk and it was dark lol) But as I remember, I had a Blazers replica jersey (Drexler, of course) since early in HS, the year they got the Finals in fact. I think the NBA and MLB both hit the market first, as I recall the MLB Short sets were EXTREMELY popular in Philly in the early 90s (less so later like 95.)

NFL jerseys were in existence since the 70's. They were just nowhere near the accuracy of the ones offered now. The most expensive version of the Redskins jersey is one that could actually be worn on the field if really needed. It's that authentic.

Archived