Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Like Sonny (button)

DButz65

Pretty cool.

It really is amazing that such a hotly debated QB controversey among fans never really did split or hurt the team.

One thing I'd like to ask the fans who were around back then, were there boos in the stands by the Sonny folks when Billy took the field or threw a pick and vice versa? Today fans seem to be alot harder on the players (I'm as guilty as anyone) than they seemed to be back then. My impression is that while fans may have liked Sonny or Billy, they did not hate the other guy. I think today supporting one player means you almost have to hate his competition.

Absolutely not. It was a friendly rivalry Sunny and Billy could be found in several bars in the DC area together.

Despite their off-field, um...tendencies...it seemed like winning always came first with Sonny and Billy. That's why they were still able to win throughout the "controversy." If they let Allen get to their heads, the team would've crashed and burned.

You know, the more I think about it, and despite the fact that George Allen was a total genius, he really could've ruined this team BIG time.

That's awesome. Does anyone have any bumper stickers?

Not my site, but here's some pics of the bumper stickers:

http://www.redskinscardmuseum.com/bumper%20stickers.html

After Sonny called Zorn out on a dumb 3rd down HB pass near the goaline, I printed out the Sonny one and put it on my car. I added "still" (by hand) so it reads:

I root for Washington and I still like Sonny.

I could never figure out why Allen let Billy start in the Super Bowl. I was a die hard Sonny supporter. Billy and Sonny did like each other. Billy was tough and he fought hard but he was not a pure passer like Sonny. There will never be another Sonny Jurgensen. I wish the younger Skins fan could have seen him play. He never gave up even when the score was lopsided in the 4th quarter of games. He was relentless. He had 3 good receivers- Jerry Smith at tight end, Charley Taylor, and Mitchell.

Sonny got hurt early in the 1972 season and was out for the year. It was either Kilmer or Sam Wsyche for SB VII. Kilmer played great against Dallas in the NFC Championship game. I doubt if Sonny was healthy that Allen would have played him against Miami in SB VII (though he did play him against Miami a couple years later at RFK)

Kilmer actually had a rather good season in 1971. Check out these football cards:

http://www.redskinscardmuseum.com/1972-topps-redskinsa.html

BTW, I have a team picture of the 1972 NFC Championship team (w/o Sonny). There is some guy wearing #19. I am assuming he was the 3rd string QB, but no idea who he is.

Anybody know?

• 10 months later...
Very cool button. Thanks for sharing.

I barely remember the controversy, but there wasn't the media attention given to it outside the DC area. You'd hear it on Sundays during the game (And the Skins were the only football team we ever watched), but there wasn't the overall media attention given to all of sports that there is today.

From a Redskin fan who lived in the deep south, I just remember my father's attitude that Kilmer was more of a working man's guy and Sonny was more of an elitist. Since he never met or knew either of them, I'm not sure why my father had that attitude, but that was the way my family felt, because that's the way my Dad felt..

>> Could be because Sonny went to Duke.......

---------- Post added May-4th-2011 at 10:12 PM ----------

That's awesome. Does anyone have any bumper stickers?

I made an i Like Sonny one from a jpg of the original, you can buy it here:

http://www.zazzle.com/128512710681148202?style=standard_bumpersticker

I can make an i Like Billy one, but did any serious fan REALLY feel that way? :)

Sonny is in the HOF after all.....

BTW, I have a team picture of the 1972 NFC Championship team (w/o Sonny). There is some guy wearing #19. I am assuming he was the 3rd string QB, but no idea who he is.

Anybody know?

Sure that is not #14, Sam Wyche?

---------- Post added May-4th-2011 at 11:34 PM ----------

I made an i Like Sonny one from a jpg of the original, you can buy it here:

http://www.zazzle.com/128512710681148202?style=standard_bumpersticker

I can make an i Like Billy one, but did any serious fan REALLY feel that way? :)

Sonny is in the HOF after all.....

Shortcut didn't work and I couldn't find in the search feature. I'd buy one if I could find it.

One thing I'd like to ask the fans who were around back then, were there boos in the stands by the Sonny folks when Billy took the field or threw a pick and vice versa? Today fans seem to be alot harder on the players (I'm as guilty as anyone) than they seemed to be back then. My impression is that while fans may have liked Sonny or Billy, they did not hate the other guy. I think today supporting one player means you almost have to hate his competition.

Back then, Redskin fans didn't boo their team, period.

I don't remember hearing boos in 1972 - 1973, when that button was available. Gibbs years, yes, but not then.

Oh, I'm sure we booed the cowgirls! :D I know....not what you meant. I only attended a few games a year back in those days and would have been 14-15. I don't recall booing the Redskins players or team but I don't recall much from those days anyway. I kind of doubt fans never booed at all, however. Granted fans do boo their own team more these days. And Allen brought a winner to town after many years of losing. But I do remember the team being booed when Bill Austin coached the team prior to Allen. Fans booing just happens much less often when you are winning games.

Sonny got hurt early in the 1972 season and was out for the year.

Yep. I saw him once during that period of time in the parking lot of Calvert Liquors, on crutches, with someone from the store loading cases of booze into the trunk of Sonny's car. A lot of them. :)

I liked them both and always felt confident with them at the helm. If you asked me to choose though it was always Billy because even though his passes looked like knuckleballs compared to Sonny's perfect sprials they still mostly got to their targets.

Another/Better link for the sticker on Zazzle:

http://www.zazzle.com/cr/design/pt-bumpersticker?dz=5fa7a380-d46b-4498-9cd8-03a025879c88&clone=true&pending=true&style=standard_bumpersticker

---------- Post added May-6th-2011 at 11:36 PM ----------

Sure that is not #14, Sam Wyche?

---------- Post added May-4th-2011 at 11:34 PM ----------

Wyche was #18 and is in the front row on the left side. I should have asked Mike Bragg. He seems to have a good recollection of details from his playing days. At the DDP Kid's Club autograph signing he was talking about how he made a bad kickoff and had to tackle Dick Butkis during the opening game of the 1968 season. I checked the profootball data website and sure enough, Butkis had a kickoff return that game.

Wyche was #18 and is in the front row on the left side. I should have asked Mike Bragg. He seems to have a good recollection of details from his playing days. At the DDP Kid's Club autograph signing he was talking about how he made a bad kickoff and had to tackle Dick Butkis during the opening game of the 1968 season. I checked the profootball data website and sure enough, Butkis had a kickoff return that game.

Sam Wyche was our third string QB in 1971 and 1972. According to the pro football reference website, he wore #14. Can't find anything else to corroborate that. You'd think there would be a picture somewhere on the internet in his Redskins uniform. Might have to go watch my 1972 highlights and see if I can tell what his number was when he was holding for Curt Knight....man.....is this off season boring or what....

Found the 72 team picture and see who you are referring to. It clearly is a "19" on his jersey. No clue who #19 is...#19 does not show up on any rosters from that time period. Hmmmm.

Sonny got hurt early in the 1972 season and was out for the year. It was either Kilmer or Sam Wsyche for SB VII. Kilmer played great against Dallas in the NFC Championship game. I doubt if Sonny was healthy that Allen would have played him against Miami in SB VII (though he did play him against Miami a couple years later at RFK)

We will never really know, but I'm not so sure Sonny doesn't start in SB VII if healthy? I know Allen wanted to win so bad and he would have put personal feelings aside to get a SB win.

He knew Sonny was better. I can say with confidence Sonny would have at least gotten in the game if he wasn't hurt.

Yeah, that shipping is a killer....$12 for a bumper sticker.....hmmmm.....how much do I really like Sonny..... :D

D'oh....didn't realize they charged that much for shipping....ouch. I am getting some made from Vista Print. If those turn out good, I'll order a bunch more and post info to this thread....stay tuned.

---------- Post added May-8th-2011 at 10:57 PM ----------

This got me to thinking that 1971 was 40 years ago. It kicked off one of the greatest stretches in team history. 5 SB appearances and 3 SB wins, from 1971 - 1991. Also, looking back 40 years from 1971 to 1931, the US was in the great depression and Hitler was still gaining power in Germany. Why did 1931 seem so far away in 1971 and 1971 seems like only last month? :) I guess something has to do with my age in 1971 and 2011.

---------- Post added May-8th-2011 at 10:57 PM ----------

This got me to thinking that 1971 was 40 years ago. It kicked off one of the greatest stretches in team history. 5 SB appearances and 3 SB wins, from 1971 - 1991. Also, looking back 40 years from 1971 to 1931, the US was in the great depression and Hitler was still gaining power in Germany. Why did 1931 seem so far away in 1971 and 1971 seems like only last month? :) I guess something has to do with my age in 1971 and 2011.

If I were old enough I would have been on the side of Sonny. My first full season of watching football was 1976 and I didn't know until a couple years later what the controversy was.

I think most people were on the side of Sonny back in the day. He was the most popular pro athlete in town for a long time.

Things were VERY different then. It was far more civilized, more tongue-in-cheek than anything is nowadays. There were quite a few people that sported both "I Like Sonny" and "I Like Billy" buttons at the same time.

I was in the 6th grade at the time of the controversy. I remember some heated debates at the lunch table. No one got carried away, but for a bunch of little kids, we sure had our lines drawn! :)

For the record, I like Sonny!

---------- Post added May-9th-2011 at 08:26 PM ----------

Very true. Allen thought we should win with defense and special teams. Plus, Sonny called his own plays which would make him in control of the offense and Allen wanted to always be in control.

I could be mistaken about this, but I believe that Kilmer called his own plays, too. The Cowboys were the only team at the time whose QB did not call the plays.

Archived