Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eddie Royal anyone?

SkinsTribeVA

I'd love to have Eddie but I don't see him being available at the bargain price we should be looking for. He had a big rookie season and then a sophmore slump. It happens to a lot of players at various positions. Without Scheffler or Marshall I would assume McDaniels is counting on Royal this year to keep the chains moving. Yes he drafted two WR's but that is because they want to play Royal out of the slot. That means they need a start X and Y reciever. Considering the bust rate and amount of spread sets McDaniels is known for I wouldn't assume the drafting of two recievers means Royal is on his way out. Denver's official website is even running a story about Royal and how McDaniels plans to get him more involved.

I am way down for a trade for Royal. The guy is awesome. He is what we could use. I would give them Haynesworth for him plus a pick. I mean if they are really going to get rid of Haynesworth, but then Haynie would go to another 3-4 team.

And if they are trying to get rid of Portis, which they might, why don't they trade Portis for Royal. Portis would be the back up in Denver, but would be very useful to them.

I am way down for a trade for Royal. The guy is awesome. He is what we could use. I would give them Haynesworth for him plus a pick. I mean if they are really going to get rid of Haynesworth, but then Haynie would go to another 3-4 team.

And if they are trying to get rid of Portis, which they might, why don't they trade Portis for Royal. Portis would be the back up in Denver, but would be very useful to them.

Why would Denver want to give up a 50+ catch WR who projects to be a top target this season for a back up running back? Buckhalter averaged 5.4 yards as their #2 last season. I think they would be much more concerned with a young WR that started 12 games last year and looks to be their top target than a guy that would compete for the #2 running back spot for a year or two. As you mentioned Haynesworth isn't tradeable to a 3-4 team because they all know he's going to have the same issues there.

Royal didn't have a great season but he was playing with Kyle Orton, essentially a less athletic version of Jason Campbell. Orton is a game manager and not a playmaker. That is why teams keep trying to replace him. Denver is trying to bring along two young QB's right now to get that job away from Orton so they're definitely going to want a reliable player like Royal helping them out.

I sincerely doubt McDaniels wants to move Royal and I sincerely doubt ES would be okay with the compensation it would take to pry him away.

Andre Johnson is a great WR too. He would really help bolster our receiving core. Might as well throw his name in there too since we're in the habit of making threads about players who aren't even on the trading block. I knew there was a reason I hardly visit here during the offseason

I love threads like this and don't mean to demean the OP, but the Bronco's would have NOBODY to throw to next year. Who are going to be their top 4? Given that they traded their top receiving TE, Demaryius Thomas Demaryius still isn't running full speed, Brandon Stokely is old, Jabar Gaffney us a career journeyman, and Brandon Lloyd is Brandon Lloyd, I'd say that Denver would have the worst receiving corps in the league if they traded Eddie Royal. There is just no way he is going to be traded, unless there is a pass catcher included as part of the compensation.

The nicknames are hillarious. Keep them coming. Yeah he traded away all those players. Guess what he got in return.

two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks a 6th round pick. And Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn.

So based on that logic. McDaniel is supposedly going to roll over and just gift us his only asset at reciever for a 4th round pick in next years draft?

Also before we start the clever nicknames. Let's remember that McDaniel had a better record

It's not just who he traded away, it is what he got out of those picks. Denver had a top talent on offense before McDaniels got there, and now they have little at receiver or TE, no established QB. Demaryius Thomas is a huge risk reward type player in the first, and I would have given myself alcoholic hepatitis if the Skins had drafted Tim Tebow in the first. Last year, McDaniels drafted Moreno before Orakpo, drafted Ayers to play OLB, and paid a 1st and a 2nd for Alphonso Smith, who I like as a prospect, but was nothing special last year.

For those that rail on Shannahan for his draft history, two of his last 3 years in denver were super impressive:

2008:

(1)Ryan Clady

(2)Eddie Royal

(4)Kory Lichtensteiger

(4)Jack Williams

(5)Ryan Torrain

(6)Spencer Larsen

(7)Josh Barrett

(7)Payton Hillis

2007:

(1)Jarvis Moss

(2)Tim Crowder

(3)Ryan Harris-starter RT

(4)Marcus Thomas-backup DE

2006:

(1)Jay Cutler-

(2)Tony Scheffler

(4)Brandon Marshall

(4)Elvis Dumervil

(4)Dominik Hixon

(5)Chris Kuper

(6)Greg Eslinger

The 2006 draft was close to as good a draft as I have recently seen, 2008 was also great, and even in 2007, when they only had four picks and missed in the first two rounds, they still found a starter on the OL, and a serviceable backup D-lineman.

In any case, people over-value draft picks. Given foresight as to how much he would produce, do any of you think that Eddie Royal would have a snowball's chance in hell of being chosen after the third round? The trade market is currently a buyer's market. No one wants to part with draft picks, and somehow teams have gotten fleeced this offseason when trading away players. Brandon Marshall is worth way more than two second round draft picks, Santonio Holmes was worth more than a fifth, Boldin and Scheffler were both worth more than teams paid for them, and so were Adam Carriker and Antonio Cromartie. The correct response to this trend is to hold onto your own players unless you can get proper value, and to try to fleece draft pick hungry teams out of undervalued players, not to look at the aforementioned trades and hold on tighter to your draft picks.

In summation, I think Eddie Royal would be an absolute steal for a third rounder...and there is no way we are getting him.

I doubt the Broncos use Royal this season, he was, what, fourth on their list for receptions, yards, and had 0 TDs. This is a McDaniels thing, not a Royal thing. JM has shown he can't use the talent already on the roster, and yes his record was great at the beginning of last season, 6-2, just like Jim Zorn's in his first season here.

I wouldn't be shocked if they got rid of Royal in a season or so.

For all the people whining that we're talking about a receiver that's not up for grabs, isn't it better than another AH getting traded/criticised for not being at the park, are we going to sign TO thread? At least Royal would be a decent pickup for us, and he's as up for grabs as Haynesworth has been.

The nicknames are hillarious. Keep them coming. Yeah he traded away all those players. Guess what he got in return.

two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks a 6th round pick. And Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn.

So based on that logic. McDaniel is supposedly going to roll over and just gift us his only asset at reciever for a 4th round pick in next years draft?

Also before we start the clever nicknames. Let's remember that McDaniel had a better record last season. And has come away with a **** load of draft picks for the future.

McLoser got lots of picks for the players and had one of the worst drafts in the NFL in 2009.

You can say the same about Orakpo. 7 of his 11 sacks came against Det, TB, KC, and Oak (we all remember the Oakland game!). Just sayin...

Which is why Orakpo hasn't proven anything yet. He's proven that he's got ability, but a lot of guys have a good season or two and then drop off the face of the earth. Teams will be wiser to Orakpo and the onus is on him to up his game.

Same with Eddie Royal, he had a miserable year, can we be dead set certain he's going to up his game so he doesn't experience the same setbacks he did last year?

It's up to Shanahan, he drafted Royal, personally, I think we should be shopping that 3rd rounder for a tackle or interior lineman.

Note: I am not saying Orakpo is/will be a bust, nor am I saying he is a bad player - just that one season isn't enough of a sample size to be dead certain he'll blow up into the next great DE

I doubt the Broncos use Royal this season, he was, what, fourth on their list for receptions, yards, and had 0 TDs. This is a McDaniels thing, not a Royal thing. JM has shown he can't use the talent already on the roster, and yes his record was great at the beginning of last season, 6-2, just like Jim Zorn's in his first season here.

I wouldn't be shocked if they got rid of Royal in a season or so.

For all the people whining that we're talking about a receiver that's not up for grabs, isn't it better than another AH getting traded/criticised for not being at the park, are we going to sign TO thread? At least Royal would be a decent pickup for us, and he's as up for grabs as Haynesworth has been.

From a quick look at their roster it looks like Royal was #3 in receptions last year. #1 is obviously gone and #2 was Jabar Gafney, a guy that already knew the McDaniels offense. If anything I would expect to see a lot more Royal this year that 2009. The offense as a whole took a big step back with Orton at the helm. Royal's yards per catch was bad but look at Marshall's, 11.1.

Royal would be a great pickup but it isn't realistic.

From a quick look at their roster it looks like Royal was #3 in receptions last year. #1 is obviously gone and #2 was Jabar Gafney, a guy that already knew the McDaniels offense. If anything I would expect to see a lot more Royal this year that 2009. The offense as a whole took a big step back with Orton at the helm. Royal's yards per catch was bad but look at Marshall's, 11.1.

Royal would be a great pickup but it isn't realistic.

Thanks for the correction, in receptions Royal was 3rd on the team. In receiving yards he was 4th (behind Tony Scheffler), but it was pretty close, Stokely had 19 receptions and only lost 4th place by about 20 yards. In yards per catch, Royal was 7th (behind Brandon Lloyd, of all people). He had 0 TDs out of the 21 TDs the team caught.

Normally, if there'd been no changes at all in the WR depth on the team, then I'd definitely agree with you, but McDaniels, like it was pointed out earlier, drafted 2 WRs, one in the first round and then another in the 3rd round, so I really don't think that his numbers are going anywhere but down.

Thanks for the correction, in receptions Royal was 3rd on the team. In receiving yards he was 4th (behind Tony Scheffler), but it was pretty close, Stokely had 19 receptions and only lost 4th place by about 20 yards. In yards per catch, Royal was 7th (behind Brandon Lloyd, of all people). He had 0 TDs out of the 21 TDs the team caught.

Normally, if there'd been no changes at all in the WR depth on the team, then I'd definitely agree with you, but McDaniels, like it was pointed out earlier, drafted 2 WRs, one in the first round and then another in the 3rd round, so I really don't think that his numbers are going anywhere but down.

You're right that a lot of those recievers had pretty similar numbers. It looks like other than Marshall Orton spread the ball around pretty fairly. Without having watched a lot of games the stats lead me to believe he was often taking the underneath routes rather than stretching the field (other than those two bombs to Marshall against us of course).

I don't think the selection of two WR's hurts Royal. If anything I think it makes him more valuable. He's a guy that is probably going to make his living in the slot. In the past labeling someone as a "slot guy" was taken as a negative as they would only be getting in on limited packages. In today's NFL and especially McDaniel's offense there are going to be plenty of three and four reciever sets. Whoever gets into that slot position is likely going to have a huge mismatch whether the defender is a safety, linebacker, or nickel corner. Very few teams have three starting quality corners (NYJ comes to mind if Wilson lives up to his draft status).

Being rookies those two WR's probably aren't going to be big time contributors. Royal was much more the exception than the rule posting 90 catches his rookie year. Even if they do it allows Royal to move inside against those mismatches. While some shorter recievers do have success in this league size is a factor on the outside. Corners use that sideline like another defender. If the WR can't go up and get the ball it can make his job much more difficult. Inside he's going to be taking hits in traffic but his height isn't as much of a factor on the shorter routes. Wes Welker is generally the comparison due to size, position, and offense so let's go with him. The year that NE acquired Welker, Moss, and Stallworth was Welker's best year despite being "just" a slot guy. He had the second highest reception and recieving yards totals but double his second highest TD total with 8.

Being the type of WR Royal is I think both of those young WR's contributing will only open things up for him underneath and increase his production. Hopefully we'll get to see this fall.

I had Royal on my fantasy squad last year. Not worth it. He'll disappear for 4 straight games then have like 4 receptions for 85 yards. Then go back to 1 reception for 8 yards the next game. I like his speed but he does not run routes very well and his size is a liability.

I had Royal on my fantasy squad last year. Not worth it. He'll disappear for 4 straight games then have like 4 receptions for 85 yards. Then go back to 1 reception for 8 yards the next game. I like his speed but he does not run routes very well and his size is a liability.

Yes, that is what he did last year. If you would have had him on your fantasy team the year before he would have gotten you 91 catches and over 1,000 yards.

While it wouldn't surprise me seeing as he is a young reciever do you have a source for his poor route running? Was it a coach or QB that threw that out there or just something you've observed. I haven't seen many Denver games the past two years I just hadn't heard that about him. I had just sort of assumed he was a pretty good route runner since he had such an impact his rookie season.

While it wouldn't surprise me seeing as he is a young reciever do you have a source for his poor route running? Was it a coach or QB that threw that out there or just something you've observed. I haven't seen many Denver games the past two years I just hadn't heard that about him. I had just sort of assumed he was a pretty good route runner since he had such an impact his rookie season.

Eddie Royal was matched up against Deangelo Hall one to one all night his first game as a pro, and he got about 141 receiving yards. He turned Hall into knots all night long.

Eddie Royal was matched up against Deangelo Hall one to one all night his first game as a pro, and he got about 141 receiving yards. He turned Hall into knots all night long.

In that battle of VT alums, Hokie fans were cheering for Eddie Royal that night

The posts on Techsideline were hilarious, because D-lo, per his usual when he is getting beat, was cheap shotting Eddie all night

I think Eddie is a terrific number 3 WR/return man, decent to pretty good number 2 WR at best.

If the price was right I'd love to have him here and think he'd contribute very nicely. Excellent character kid, hard worker, fast, and just a good guy.

Archived