Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eddie Royal anyone?

SkinsTribeVA

Eddie Royal is a native of Northern Virginia, played college ball at Virginia Tech, and was drafted by Mike Shanahan in the 2nd round of the 2008 draft. He was a stud his rookie season, posting 980 yards on 91 receptions with 5 touchdowns, 600 yards as a kick returner and 140 on punts, and another 109 rushing on 11 attempts. But the Broncos missed the playoffs for the third consecutive season, Mike Shanahan was fired, and Josh McDaniels took over. There was a lot of talk of Royal being McDaniels' Welker, but instead of flourishing under McDaniels, his yardage total dropped from 1,829 (and 5 TDs) to 1,302 (and 0 TDs), receiving dropping from 980 to 345. He's also known as a good character guy and hard worker. Mike Shanahan was fond of Royal's abilities and apparently had big things planned for him, but McDaniels didn't see the same thing. With the departure of Brandon Marshall one might think that Royal could become the #1, but instead McDaniels drafted WR Demaryius Thomas in the 1st round, WR Eric Decker in the 3rd round, and has publicly repeated that he plans to spread the ball around with no true #1. Royal has been working exclusively in the slot (his natural position).

Here's a quote from the Washington Post:

"Can scheme make a difference? Well, look at it in reverse... Look at Denver two years ago. Remember Eddie Royal was ready to take over the league? He goes nuts under [Mike] Shanahan. And they switch coaches, switch systems and he's just nothing in McDaniel's offense."

So here's my pitch: Mike Shanahan likes Eddie Royal and knows how to get production out of him. We're thin at WR with a lot of question marks. Personally, I think Devin Thomas is going to bust out this year, but if Santana Moss is suspended for more than one or two games, we're in trouble. Eddie Royal is Santana Moss 2.0 (they're the same height and Tana's 5 lbs heavier), but whereas Moss turned 30 this year, Royal's only 24. He could be our slot guy of the future. McDaniels doesn't seem to value Royal much and might be willing to deal him for relatively low value. In addition, Royal's a DC area native.

I'm not a fan of trading picks and I don't know who we would trade, but in my mind this is an incredibly enticing opportunity and Royal is one of those rare young, proven WR's.

Do you all think Royal would be a good fit? Should we go after him? What would you be willing to give up for him?

Not sure what players could be included in something like this, it's hard to guage what the skins would give up and who Denver would want, but talking draft picks, I'd say a 4th and a 6th and its a great deal.

Yea I'd take that deal. I'd probably be cool with a straight up 3rd too. Devin, Eddie, Fred, and Trent could be the offensive nucleus of the Shanahan DC dynasty!

Personally, even his rookie campaign wasn't all THAT impressive. His YPC was under 11 for the season. His big games came against teams that weren't very good. (Oak, KC, Cle, NYJ)

But for a rookie....that is good. And better than what are rookies did that year.

Yea I'd take that deal. I'd probably be cool with a straight up 3rd too. Devin, Eddie, Fred, and Trent could be the offensive nucleus of the Shanahan DC dynasty!

Im against trading picks and especially against trading picks for a guy who has gone down in production like Royal did, no thank you. I'd be ok if he was a FA but would give up only a 7th for him. He's a bigger question mark in my mind then Thomas is. People just dont give enough emphasis to the fact that Campbell was garbage who had no ability to place the ball within a few inches of a player and instead over threw guys by yards. As much of the problem with Thomas and Kelly not producing has to be at his feet. We'll know what we got with them now that we have McNabb and he's done more with less. I think they are going to be fine provided they stay healthy

Personally, even his rookie campaign wasn't all THAT impressive. His YPC was under 11 for the season. His big games came against teams that weren't very good. (Oak, KC, Cle, NYJ)

You can say the same about Orakpo. 7 of his 11 sacks came against Det, TB, KC, and Oak (we all remember the Oakland game!). Just sayin...

Im against trading picks and especially against trading picks for a guy who has gone down in production like Royal did, no thank you. I'd be ok if he was a FA but would give up only a 7th for him. He's a bigger question mark in my mind then Thomas is. People just dont give enough emphasis to the fact that Campbell was garbage who had no ability to place the ball within a few inches of a player and instead over threw guys by yards. As much of the problem with Thomas and Kelly not producing has to be at his feet. We'll know what we got with them now that we have McNabb and he's done more with less. I think they are going to be fine provided they stay healthy

Gone down in production? The whole point is that he flourished under a certain coach/system, but that coach/system left... and came here.

Bigger question mark than Thomas? In Thomas' best season, last season, he posted 325 yards, compared to Royals' 345 when his production had gone down. Like I said, I believe Thomas is going to break out big this year, but he hasn't even sniffed 1000 yards on his career (445) while Royal's at 1,325 in the same amount of time.

Stay healthy? I can't even think of any injury issues Royal has had, so they're beans compared to Kelly's issues.

Royal and Thomas are both going into their 3rd year... if we could get them "breaking out" together... watch out.

Of course, a healthy dose of Campbell bashing in this thread... don't forget, Campbell was responsible for some great production out of Cooley!

I went to HS, and played HS ball with his bro. His bro is awesome too. I would love to sign Chris Royal as a receiver/ safety for the team. He went to Marshall, which is why I think he wasn't drafted.

Check out his pro day (especially his shuttle)

I'll pass. This team is at least a year away from the SB, and it would be a shame to trade any future picks. Let's see what we have at WR. Was it the Zorn scheme or the players? We will soon find out.

Good point, we should probably be patient. We have no idea who will go off the charts this year at WR, our playmakers could be right under our nose.

Gone down in production? The whole point is that he flourished under a certain coach/system, but that coach/system left... and came here.

So that guarentees that he's going to be a 1000 receiver here? No way dude, I don't know enough about Royal to know if it was the system that made him flame out, or if it was coverages or if he simply isn't the same man he once was. And with those question marks I won't be like you and put the blame completely on a system and that means tons of question marks. Hell no I'm not for giving up a draft pick for a player with question marks like that. 7th rounder and one of our defensive linemen were going to cut would be my best offer for him. He'll be a FA in a couple of years anyway. Pass

Bigger question mark than Thomas? In Thomas' best season, last season, he posted 325 yards, compared to Royals' 345 when his production had gone down. Like I said, I believe Thomas is going to break out big this year, but he hasn't even sniffed 1000 yards on his career (445) while Royal's at 1,325 in the same amount of time.

Who's had the much better QB's those two years and the playing time those two years huh? Yea he's a much bigger question mark in my eyes then Thomas.

Stay healthy? I can't even think of any injury issues Royal has had, so they're beans compared to Kelly's issues.

Royal and Thomas are both going into their 3rd year... if we could get them "breaking out" together... watch out.

Hey watch how you talk about Kelly like that. You are on a Redskins forum dude, not some Bronco trading forum. I'd rather not even talk about Royal and let McNabb work with Kelly and Thomas because we need to know how they do in a real system. That hot mess we called an offense last year didn't show me anything. If they can't do something with McNabb throwing them the ball then hang it up on both of them

Good point, we should probably be patient. We have no idea who will go off the charts this year at WR, our playmakers could be right under our nose.

Yea that's very true, and I won't be upset at all if we don't make a play for Royal or another WR. I just really really really don't want to see us taking a WR in the 1st... ever. The bust rate is just too high. Like I said, it's not often that a (relatively) proven young WR can be had for decent value.

Plus, with our horrid OL still in rebuilding mode, the more outlets/weapons we surround DMac with the better.

So that guarentees that he's going to be a 1000 receiver here? No way dude, I don't know enough about Royal to know if it was the system that made him flame out, or if it was coverages or if he simply isn't the same man he once was. And with those question marks I won't be like you and put the blame completely on a system and that means tons of question marks. Hell no I'm not for giving up a draft pick for a player with question marks like that. 7th rounder and one of our defensive linemen were going to cut would be my best offer for him. He'll be a FA in a couple of years anyway. Pass

Haha no I did not say that guarantees he's going to be a 1000 yard receiver, but if you put him back under Shanahan, I would not be surprised. People around the league were praising Royal by the end of his rookie season and Shanahan supposedly planned to increase his workload. I don't see a single question mark. Coaches changed, he was utilized and targeted less in a passing game that did not play to his strengths as much, thus his production decreased. I don't see any question marks. His return stats actually increased--he's got some pretty sick return highlights--so it's definitely not a matter of talent or health.

Who's had the much better QB's those two years and the playing time those two years huh? Yea he's a much bigger question mark in my eyes then Thomas.

I'm not even going to start talking about Campbell, but as someone else pointed out--Cooley put up some great numbers under Campbell. I'll leave that at that. Royal was being thrown to by Jay Cutler in his first year and Kyle Orton in his second. Orton did fairly well, but that's definitely a drop off compared from Cutler's play in 2008.

Hey watch how you talk about Kelly like that. You are on a Redskins forum dude, not some Bronco trading forum. I'd rather not even talk about Royal and let McNabb work with Kelly and Thomas because we need to know how they do in a real system. That hot mess we called an offense last year didn't show me anything. If they can't do something with McNabb throwing them the ball then hang it up on both of them

Watch how I talk about Kelly like that?? I said he's got a bunch of knee issues! Hahahahaha

As much as I would like to have his 1800+ yrds and all the TD's he had, I don't want to give anything up for it. If he's not a UFA I'll pass. Why is it that everyone wants the WR we can't have? yet complain and find ways to discredit one that is (T.O.). If the Bronco's simply cut him then heck yeah pick him up. I'm sure he would want to revive his career again under Shanahan plus Kyle Shanahan's offensive scheme was a pass happy offense.

Archived