Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eddie Royal anyone?

SkinsTribeVA

This team is at least a year away from the SB

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::doh:

Of course, a healthy dose of Campbell bashing in this thread... don't forget, Campbell was responsible for some great production out of Cooley!

Cooley when healthy could get great production out of a paper bag dude but I'll give you this, Campbell could throw to TE's better then WR's. He was one of the problems regardless of if wether he's a nice guy, loaned you money, or any thing else under the sun that made you a fan. Not bashing him, simply stating a fact

Starting a thread on a player thats not on the trading block! So JV. Come up with a real thought Guy.

Sooo a team has never called and inquired about a player, even if they're not being publicly shopped? You don't know the inner workings of the league or teams any better than I do, so quit acting like a hotshot. I'm simply putting an idea out there to see what people think. It's a fan message board, that's what it's for. Relax. You got some real thoughts for us "Guy"?

Edit: Since I know it's coming, I'll name one--the Portis-Bailey trade.

Haha no I did not say that guarantees he's going to be a 1000 yard receiver, but if you put him back under Shanahan, I would not be surprised. People around the league were praising Royal by the end of his rookie season and Shanahan supposedly planned to increase his workload. I don't see a single question mark. Coaches changed, he was utilized and targeted less in a passing game that did not play to his strengths as much, thus his production decreased. I don't see any question marks. His return stats actually increased--he's got some pretty sick return highlights--so it's definitely not a matter of talent or health.

So says you. I already said I didn't know enough to know how a guy goes from 1000 yards to 400 and plays every game. You seem to know lots about Royal but your pushing an agenda here and I'm not buying it. You want Royal, I might want him. The last times we traded for WR's that people said were going to be great but had never been great....Brandon Lloyd and Randle El. Both never lived up to the hype. I wouldn't expect anything less here. You got it or you don't and he's shown he did and he didn't. Not a chance he's worth more then a 6th at this point in his career.

I'm not even going to start talking about Campbell, but as someone else pointed out--Cooley put up some great numbers under Campbell. I'll leave that at that. Royal was being thrown to by Jay Cutler in his first year and Kyle Orton in his second. Orton did fairly well, but that's definitely a drop off compared from Cutler's play in 2008.

Drop off yea, but that doesn't say those guys aren't worse then Campbell. They are both better then Campbell so the expectation should be that his stats should be better then our guys. So what you got here is this. If Orton is slightly better then Campbell and both guys had similar stats last year they are about the same.

With a better QB you can expect Thomas's stats to be better. We have a better QB now then last year so barring injury he should have better stats this year. They are about equal in my eyes. So it really comes down to this:

Would you trade a 3rd for Devin Thomas?

If the answer is NO then you lower your offer. So what would you trade for Thomas? I've said all along you pass on ER and wait and see if DT is due for a boom or bust this year. If bust, you improve next year. If boom you still have your picks and you have your new playmaker. Win-Win situation

Watch how I talk about Kelly like that?? I said he's got a bunch of knee issues! Hahahahaha

What the heck is funny about knee problems?

Sooo a team has never called and inquired about a player, even if they're not being publicly shopped? You don't know the inner workings of the league or teams any better than I do, so quit acting like a hotshot. I'm simply putting an idea out there to see what people think. It's a fan message board, that's what it's for. Relax. You got some real thoughts for us "Guy"?

Edit: Since I know it's coming, I'll name one--the Portis-Bailey trade.

I mean if you are going to throw it out there, why stop at Royal. Lets shoot for Jackson from Philly, perhaps we have some sort of link to Andre Johnson (we do have the U connection, or maybe Larry fitz would be interested in making the move. See I can do it too. I can throw out random names and spark trade ideas.

FYI. Trades like that happen before the draft. Not after. Royal isn't on the trade block. WR is far from our greatest need. If anything we'd be looking for another tackle or LB depth.

So says you. I already said I didn't know enough to know how a guy goes from 1000 yards to 400 and plays every game. You seem to know lots about Royal but your pushing an agenda here and I'm not buying it. You want Royal, I might want him. The last times we traded for WR's that people said were going to be great but had never been great....Brandon Lloyd and Randle El. Both never lived up to the hype. I wouldn't expect anything less here. You got it or you don't and he's shown he did and he didn't. Not a chance he's worth more then a 6th at this point in his career.

I'm not pushing an agenda. I have no allegiance to Royal, the Broncos, or even Tech. I just thought about the situation, and thought it sounded like good and reasonable idea. The whole not wanting to trade picks for players thing is totally understandable given our recent history. But there are differences. Randle El and Lloyd were both a few years older. Lloyd had never gotten within 200 yards of Royal's best season or shown the flashes that Royal has. As for Randle El, you must've just forgotten but we got him as a free agent (and I'd argue that although we overpayed, it wasn't a bust).

Not worth more than a 6th? Let's asses the market: Ted Ginn was traded to the 49ers for a 5th. I'd say Royal's worth at least a 4th. But if he IS worth only a 6th then IMO we should DEFINITELY make a play for him!

Drop off yea, but that doesn't say those guys aren't worse then Campbell. They are both better then Campbell so the expectation should be that his stats should be better then our guys. So what you got here is this. If Orton is slightly better then Campbell and both guys had similar stats last year they are about the same.

With a better QB you can expect Thomas's stats to be better. We have a better QB now then last year so barring injury he should have better stats this year. They are about equal in my eyes. So it really comes down to this:

Would you trade a 3rd for Devin Thomas?

If the answer is NO then you lower your offer. So what would you trade for Thomas? I've said all along you pass on ER and wait and see if DT is due for a boom or bust this year. If bust, you improve next year. If boom you still have your picks and you have your new playmaker. Win-Win situation

I'm not even going to jump into this QB-WR debate because I think you're trying to be far too exact in your method of analysis. But again, you're missing my general point. I believe, even expect Devin Thomas to have a huge year. I got a pretty serious mancrush on the guy. But one of the hard lessons the Skins should have learned from the Snyder era is that you have to have more than one good receiver. I in no way think Royal would replace Devin, but rather complement him--in the slot. And part of my point is that Santana may be suspended and is definitely getting older--Royal could be his replacement and the future slot guy. Shouldn't we aim to load up on playmakers rather than just have a couple?

What the heck is funny about knee problems?

Nothing. I was laughing at the fact that I said...

"Stay healthy? I can't even think of any injury issues Royal has had, so they're beans compared to Kelly's issues."

And you responded...

"Hey watch how you talk about Kelly like that. You are on a Redskins forum dude, not some Broncos trading forum."

Overreaction much? Kelly has had A LOT of knee problems. It's a fact. Pointing out Kelly's knee problems is similar to pointing out Orakpo's troubles dropping back into coverage, or Carlos' problems grabbing interceptions. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I mean if you are going to throw it out there, why stop at Royal. Lets shoot for Jackson from Philly, perhaps we have some sort of link to Andre Johnson (we do have the U connection, or maybe Larry fitz would be interested in making the move. See I can do it too. I can throw out random names and spark trade ideas.

FYI. Trades like that happen before the draft. Not after. Royal isn't on the trade block. WR is far from our greatest need. If anything we'd be looking for another tackle or LB depth.

If you read my original post, you'll know I spent most of it describing how Shanahan loved Royal, McDaniels does not, and therefore they may be willing to deal a good young player for a fair price if someone offers. Philly loves Jackson, Houston loves Andre, and Arizona loves Fitz (for good reasons), there are no similarities in the situations. I'm not throwing out random names. Oh, and if Santana gets suspended then WR will most definitely be one of our greatest needs. That was mentioned in my original post too. Any more real thoughts?

Do you all think Royal would be a good fit? Should we go after him? What would you be willing to give up for him?

I think Josh McDaniels has made some head scratching moves but i don't see why he would even consider trading Royal; i think its very wishful thinking.

I think Josh McDaniels has made some head scratching moves but i don't see why he would even consider trading Royal; i think its very wishful thinking.

Very wishful, I'll admit that. He'd be a steal. Broncos fans never thought in their nightmares they'd see Cutler or Hillis go (many considered Hillis a playmaker in the making), or even Marshall, before McDaniels came in. Which is why I'm wondering if we can't take advantage of McDaniels' remaking the offense in his image, and plug a hole of our own.

If you read my original post, you'll know I spent most of it describing how Shanahan loved Royal, McDaniels does not, and therefore they may be willing to deal a good young player for a fair price if someone offers. Philly loves Jackson, Houston loves Andre, and Arizona loves Fitz (for good reasons), there are no similarities in the situations. I'm not throwing out random names. Oh, and if Santana gets suspended then WR will most definitely be one of our greatest needs. That was mentioned in my original post too. Any more real thoughts?

Well now that you explained yourself. It all makes sense :ols:. This is a terrible move/idea on multiple levels. If WR was an area of concern for this administration. They would have been a legit player in the boldin/Marshall sweepstakes. If we become desperate and Moss is suspended for (which we dont know if he's in the substance abuse program or not). Then we will take a serious look at TO.

Either way you are trying to link our franchise to a guy that is not available. Thus your argument is weak.

Well now that you explained yourself. It all makes sense :ols:. This is a terrible move/idea on multiple levels. If WR was an area of concern for this administration. They would have been a legit player in the boldin/Marshall sweepstakes. If we become desperate and Moss is suspended for (which we dont know if he's in the substance abuse program or not). Then we will take a serious look at TO.

Either way you are trying to link our franchise to a guy that is not available. Thus your argument is weak.

I'm not trying to link anyone to anything. It was a "would you like this? should we try for it?" not a "I bet we'll do it! We're gonna get Royal!" If I was making that type of argument, then yes, it would be very weak indeed.

Again, you're missing some of the general points of my post--YOUNG and CHEAP...

Boldin was traded for a 3rd and 4th I believe. First, that's not as cheap as I'm looking for, and second, Boldin will be 30 this season. Not young.

Marshall's a couple years older and was traded for two 2nd rounders.

I would love to have either of those guys, but I'm not just making a "we need a good WR" argument, I'm talking about VALUE here. Young, relatively proven, and relatively cheap.

Edit: Oh, and TO? At this point in his career, he's not even as talented as Royal. We already have a couple young big guys we're developing, I'm talking about getting a smaller young guy to develop. We don't need TO's baggage, we do need to keep up the youth movement. (If Devin and Kelly don't pan out this season, I'd be more ok with a mid-season TO signing).

Very wishful, I'll admit that. He'd be a steal. Broncos fans never thought in their nightmares they'd see Cutler or Hillis go (many considered Hillis a playmaker in the making), or even Marshall, before McDaniels came in. Which is why I'm wondering if we can't take advantage of McDaniels' remaking the offense in his image, and plug a hole of our own.

Anyone in the league is available for 2 #1's and a 3rd round draft pick. Come on man!!!!!

If Moss is suspended I do believe that Shanahan and Allen will make a trade for a wide receiver. I don't see Galloway or Wade as being the 'veteran' presence the team is looking for in 2010. Galloway is too old and Wade was never productive enough to be a leader.

Royal is the #1 reciever in the Bronco's organization. They aren't going to let him just walk out the door for a combination of late round picks. It would be a package similar to what Marshall commanded. The best way to approach this is to find underappreciated RFA's like the pats did with Welker.

I would love Eddie Royal on the Redskins. Great player and great person overall.

BUT

This would likely involve draft picks and I think we've learned our lesson with giving up picks for WR's (see Brandon Lloyd).

Here's a quote from the Washington Post:

"Can scheme make a difference? Well, look at it in reverse... Look at Washington last year. Remember Devin Thomas who was ready to take over the league? He goes nuts under [Mike] Shanahan. And because they switched coaches, switched systems and he was just nothing in Zorn's offense."

Just saying, we probably will have our Eddie Royal two fold this year, watch.

I'd say that's a great deal for both teams. Royal doesn't look anything close to a #1 or 2 in Denver's offense (at least last season, 37 receptions for 345 yards and 0 TDs). Josh McDaniels just doesn't seem to know what to do with him, so I can see him slowly slipping to the bottom of the depth chart or getting cut next off season like a few other players that were good for Shanahan and bad for McDaniels.

Plus, I think McDaniels is a better version of Jim Zorn, very very inflexible when it comes to changing his offense to fit the players at hand. Not to mention he's made short work of several guys that were stars in Denver, what's one more.

If it's in between Royal and, say, Joey Galloway, I'll trade a pick or two for Royal. I don't want Galloway here at all, nor do I think he'll actually make the team. Royal, at least, has the chance to become a playmaker for the Skins, in Shanahan's offense again.

I would love Eddie Royal on the Redskins. Great player and great person overall.

BUT

This would likely involve draft picks and I think we've learned our lesson with giving up picks for WR's (see Brandon Lloyd).

I understand your hesitation and skepticism, but this isn't nearly the same situation. Gibbs liked Lloyd's athleticism and potential. Shanahan has actually coached Royal, during a ridiculously successful season for Royal personally, Royal doesn't have a big deal to squat on, Royal is still 24, already knows the offense, and would be a plus to our team just for having worked with the Coach previously. I'm not saying lets throw the house for him, but a draft pick in the lower half wouldn't be near the disaster the Lloyd trade was.

But for a rookie....that is good. And better than what are rookies did that year.

He had Cutler, a man who plays to win throwing him the rock.

Kelly and Thomas on the other hand had a man who plays to not lose.

BIG difference.

I wouldn't mind him if we could get value for him. Sadly, I don't think we could.

Hail.

Archived