Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com - Top Receiving Corps of All Time - "The Posse" #8 & 60's Redskins #5

YoCoLifSavr

Just saw this and figured everyone should take a glimpse back at the old school skins. The "Posse" made it at #8 and the 60's Redskins made it as #5.

Article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8183fa95&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The Posse:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-presents/09000d5d8114e241/Top-Ten-Receiving-Corps-The-Posse

60's Redskins

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-presents/09000d5d8114f553/Top-Ten-Receiving-Corps-60-s-Redskins

I searched to see if this had been posted. Couldnt find anything. Anyways enjoy :helmet:

This has been on several times. I saw it last week and probably a year or two ago. The Posse was the ****, as a kid I had a nice Posse poster. Gary Clark's my all time favorite 'Skin. Personally I think they should've been rated higher, but than again I am bias. It's sweet to have 2 of the top ten though.

This has been on several times. I saw it last week and probably a year or two ago. The Posse was the ****, as a kid I had a nice Posse poster. Gary Clark's my all time favorite 'Skin. Personally I think they should've been rated higher, but than again I am bias. It's sweet to have 2 of the top ten though.

I just saw it for the first time today. Great memories...

To do what the Posse did in a run first offense, should have made them higher ranked, IMO. I use to love watching those 3 guys play and wondered how we didn't make it to the Super Bowl every year with that receiving corp and our running game.

I was watching the NFL's Top Defenses and saddened that there was no mention of the 91 Skins' defense. Im not saying they should have even cracked the top ten, but they sure were as dominant as some of the other one-year defenses on that list.

The '60s receivers were incredible. Bobby Mitchell - HOF; Charley Taylor - HOF. Both of these guys started as running backs. Taylor was a beast. And then there was Jerry Smith. A great, great receiver.

As they mentioned in the clip, there's no doubt Smith's sexuality has kept him out of the HOF. A tightend that holds a record for 26 years? And he's not in the Hall? A total miscarriage of justice. Shannon Sharpe broke Smith's TD record of 60 ending his career with 62. Smith did it in 12 years (all with the Redskins) Sharpe in 13 years with 3 different teams. Let's see how fast Sharpe gets in the Hall.

I still have my autographed picture from Jerry Smith (and Jim "Yazoo" Smith). Met them both at Coleman Cadillac, ~ 1969.

The '60s receivers were incredible. Bobby Mitchell - HOF; Charley Taylor - HOF. Both of these guys started as running backs. Taylor was a beast. And then there was Jerry Smith. A great, great receiver.

As they mentioned in the clip, there's no doubt Smith's sexuality has kept him out of the HOF. A tightend that holds a record for 26 years? And he's not in the Hall? A total miscarriage of justice. Shannon Sharpe broke Smith's TD record of 60 ending his career with 62. Smith did it in 12 years (all with the Redskins) Sharpe in 13 years with 3 different teams. Let's see how fast Sharpe gets in the Hall.

I still have my autographed picture from Jerry Smith (and Jim "Yazoo" Smith). Met them both at Coleman Cadillac, ~ 1969.

Smith was one of my favorite players, not so much for what I saw as most of his days preceded mine, but for how good a guy he was after his playing days. He never begrudged a autograph for a fan and was always ready to give a talk or apperence at local schools.

He had the TD record for two decades and not even a nod from the HOF? It's really outrageous.

He had the TD record for two decades and not even a nod from the HOF? It's really outrageous.

I think he suffers for much the same reason Monk did: only 1 All-Pro selection and 2 Pro Bowls (Monk had 3). But he was up against Jackie Smith and John Mackey (widely regarded as two of the best ever to play the position) for those spots. Also, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that homophobia has something to do with it.

I think he suffers for much the same reason Monk did: only 1 All-Pro selection and 2 Pro Bowls (Monk had 3). But he was up against Jackie Smith and John Mackey (widely regarded as two of the best ever to play the position) for those spots. Also, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that homophobia has something to do with it.

Yeah, Smith & Mackey during the mid-60s, then Charlie Sanders in the late '60s early '70s along with Ted Kwalick (SF). Probably Sanders more than Kwalick kept him off of the all-Pro teams in the '70s. And Sanders is in the HOF. His stats?

Years - 10

Games - 128

TDs - 31

Receptions - 336

Yards - 4,817

Smith's:

Years - 13

Games - 168

TDs - 60

Receptions - 421

Yards - 5,496

Smith has everything needed to get into the HOF. A graceful, elegant reciever who would catch the ball anywhere on the field. Think Chris Cooley, only better.

I'm obviously biased, then again I'm here, but in all honesty I think the Posse should be #1. Where do you get the Greatest show on turf being #1 off a 1 year superbowl run. Same with Air coryell. That group never won a superbowl and the Posse kept breaking their records. The 49ers had Jerry Rice and John Taylor, but the topic has been Receiving corp, not tandem or duo. The other teams had changed members of their corp. The Posse has been consistent at least 8-9 years.

"The Posse"; "The Fun Bunch", which spawned "The Smurfs" at wide out; "The Hogs"; "The Over-the-Hill Gang" et all, we've had some pretty darn cool nicknamke's over the years. :).

Great memories from my youth with Art, Gary and Sanders. Thank you. :cheers:.

Hail.

If I remember correctly, the Smurfs came about because Monk had gotten hurt during the 1982 season and they asked Alvin Garrett (maybe) how the receivers would do without Monk and he said, "we're not as big as Monk. we're all Smurfs compared to him, but we'll be alright." Or something to that effect. If someone has the real quote you can correct me.

And we were about to play the Broncos in the SB and their receivers were called the "Three Amigos." They had Ricky Nattiell, Vance Johnson and Mark Jackson. A report asked I think Ricky Sanders how they comparted to the Three Amigos and he said they were better because they were "The Posse." Again if anyone has the real quotes, you can correct me.

I've watched countless highlight vids and old games of these guys, but man, do I wish I could have seen the magic of The Posse live.

Monk was the possession receiver, but he could go deep.

Sanders was the deep threat and could catch fire at any time.

Clark was the sparkplug. He could make the tough catch, go over the middle or take it deep.

All 3 were interchangeable. Not like Dallass where Irvin was the muscle and Harper always went deep.

To do what the Posse did in a run first offense, should have made them higher ranked, IMO. I use to love watching those 3 guys play and wondered how we didn't make it to the Super Bowl every year with that receiving corp and our running game.

I agree with you that they should be ranked higher but I'm not sure that the offense they ran hurt all three guys.

The guy who got hurt by the rededication to the run in the early 90's was Ricky Sanders.

The Redskins between 86-89 morphed into more of a pass team. The run was still important but Gibbs began to open things up and sort of went back to his Air Coryell roots a bit. It climaxed in the 1989 season when all three receivers went over a 1000 yards. But the Skins began to lose more and a rededication to a more balanced attack returned to the Skins O in 1990. While Monk and especially Clark's numbers were not affected too much, Sanders' receiving numbers too a hit and he never was quite the "numbers" guy from 90-93 than he was in 87-89.

to be perfectly honest I think that the Skins of those days being run-first is a myth. They used the running game to set up the passing game and kill the clock.

That move Clark makes on #39 of the Vikings is sick lol...I remember seeing that happen live, I think it was in OT as well.

Yes it was OT...we won 44-38. We kept missing extra points in that game...2 or 3 I think. It was in the 1986 season.

to be perfectly honest I think that the Skins of those days being run-first is a myth. They used the running game to set up the passing game and kill the clock.
Exactly, the 80's Skins were pretty balanced with a power run and vertical passing game.

I agree with you that they should be ranked higher but I'm not sure that the offense they ran hurt all three guys.

The guy who got hurt by the rededication to the run in the early 90's was Ricky Sanders.

The Redskins between 86-89 morphed into more of a pass team. The run was still important but Gibbs began to open things up and sort of went back to his Air Coryell roots a bit. It climaxed in the 1989 season when all three receivers went over a 1000 yards. But the Skins began to lose more and a rededication to a more balanced attack returned to the Skins O in 1990. While Monk and especially Clark's numbers were not affected too much, Sanders' receiving numbers too a hit and he never was quite the "numbers" guy from 90-93 than he was in 87-89.

This was a combination of things like Jay Schroeder passing aa the time with over 4,000 yards from his rocket arm and the Posse emerging as a threat. Then we won Superbowl XXII with Doug Williams and the passing yardage from the Superbowl with the Posse at it's peak. The rededication to the run allowed us to be more balanced and it helped us win another Superbowl.

Archived