Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are OTA's mandatory?

RabidFan

Thank you....sorry for my ignorance but respect i wanted to nip it in the bud before the media spews senseless hate tomorrow.

So when is the next 'mandatory' minicamp where we all hope we see an in-shape Al cause I rooting for that outcome?

No, just like the mini-camp's, they aren't "mandatory."

But just like everything else, it say's a whole bunch more about the type of character, teammate, professionalism and overall attitude a guy has to his craft; that doesn't feel the need to participate with the guys he's gona' ask to lay everything on the line for him week in, week out come September than those that do.

A WHOLE bunch more.

Hail.

Dates to remember.

- OTA Dates: May 17-19, May 24-26, June 1-3, June 7-8, June 10-11

- Mini-camp Dates: June 16-18 (voluntary)

- Mid-July: Training camps open (Mandatory)

- Aug. 31: Roster cut down to maximum of 75 players.

- Sept. 4: roster cut down to maximum of 53 players

Starting tomorrow does Al have to report and if not he's missing a mandatory session?

I just want a leg up on what the media and we will be discussing?

They're not mandatory.

And Al most likely won't be there because he already said he wasn't coming until the mandatory stuff.

But that isn't new news although the media will act like its the end of the world as we know it.

They're noy mandatory.

And Al most likely won't be there because he already said he wasn't coming until the mandatory stuff.

But that isn't new news although the media will act like its the end of the world as we know it.

So will some posters here. :)

The fact that it's not breaking news or new news doesn't mean it's not news. What's happening in the Gulf is sadly still news. If the level of unemployment doesn't change that's still news. If Haley's Comet continues on its course, when it nears Earth again even though absolutely regular and predictable... that will be news, as are eclipses.

Now, I'll agree with you that it won't be surprising if Haynesworth doesn't show up, but it will continue to be disappointing.

The fact that it's not breaking news or new news doesn't mean it's not news. What's happening in the Gulf is sadly still news. If the level of unemployment doesn't change that's still news. If Haley's Comet continues on its course, when it nears Earth again even though absolutely regular and predictable... that will be news, as are eclipses.

Now, I'll agree with you that it won't be surprising if Haynesworth doesn't show up, but it will continue to be disappointing.

Someone using an analogy properly in a Haynesworth thread?! No way!

Burgold is absolutely correct. He should be there. He won't. We'll still be pissed off at him.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/red...ta-sessio.html

After a couple of intense and tiring minicamps, what do the Redskins expect out of their first series of organized team activities?

"I hope it's way scaled back," tight end Chris Cooley said with a laugh.

Following a week off, players reconvene at Redskins Park Monday morning for their first OTA session of the offseason. The practices are voluntary but judging by the near-perfect attendance at the last minicamp, most players should be there. Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, however, is not expected.

That article and what they are doing in terms of team prep reinforces my notion that Haynesworth is missing something by not showing up. It may be something that he can catch up with, but he is missing practices, theory, and the how and why part of why Haslett will do what he's doing.

Does it make a difference if you can solve a math problem without understanding the theory behind it. Maybe not, but if you don't understand the theory you may be a step slower, esp. when something goes wrong.

First of all, the Redskins got 2 extra minicamps because of head coaching change, making a total of 3 minicamps, only 1 of which is mandatory. So the only minicamp detailed in AH's contract is the mandatory minicamp, whichever 1 was designated as such. I don't know if OTAs can be specified as mandatory or voluntary, maybe someone who knows can help out here.

AH said he would show up for all mandatory team/veteran events, as stated in his contract. He's not obligated to show up for anything else and if the team had wanted him to do that, they could have put it in his contract, if allowed by the players' contract agreement.

The more Snyder, coaches and teammates say something about this situation, the more AH will just stick to his contract. He strikes me as guy who won't be pressured so why bother? BA had the right attitude when he said that AH will appear as contracted.

If you had a performance contract, would you really risk injury etc. participating in voluntary activites? Wouldn't you stick to your contract terms?

If you had a performance contract, would you really risk injury etc. participating in voluntary activites? Wouldn't you stick to your contract terms?

I guess it's a question of personal pride.

Pride in wanting to be the very best at what you do, and to give everything to your employers and teammates who you expect to give everything for you and the cause when you all go to war each Sunday in the fall.

Were I to be in that privileged position that he finds himself in, I'd like to think, in fact scrap that, I KNOW I'd dedicate myself 100% to the organization that's garnering me in riches the layman can only dream about; for that short, short period of my life, which in reality a players career is. Is that really too much to ask in return from these guys for the team to come FIRST, in EVERYTHING they do, whilst their enjoying the spoils of that employment?

Would that make me a better man than the fat man, and others before and after him? That's not for me to judge, and Haynesworth's certainly doing nothing wrong strictly speaking. Just abiding by his contractual agreement to the letter of the law, or in this case contract. Morally he leaves a LOT to be desired, and shows us what kind of a character he is and just what respect he has for his teammates and coaches by "doing his thing"; but strictly speaking your right, he's doing nothing he's not contracted to do.

I guess it all comes down to personal pride.

Hail.

But don't you think that the more people try to shame him, the more he will dig in and not come in except for what is mandatory? And let's not forget all the trade talk that the media was indulging in prior to the draft and after it really. He's had his talk with the team, it's not a big deal but the media and everyone else is making it a big deal. And why are other people's morality being applied to anyone else? In my experience, shame doesn't work too well. The mistake the Redskins made was paying him all that money up front. It's kinda like the situation with the Raiders and JR, they paid him all that money up front and he's set for life.

To get philosophical, I think that we pay game players too much money across the board. Yes, they have to make their money in a few short years, but they chose that profession, at the risk of their lives sometimes. Most of America doesn't make what they do. Are teachers, nursers and day care providers any less deserving of improved salaries, seeing as how they nurture, teach and care for us?

I guess it comes down to me personally that I value some things more than others. And as much as I love football and the Redskins in particular, they don't mean as much as some other professions mean.

Hail back at you!

To get philosophical, I think that we pay game players too much money across the board. Yes, they have to make their money in a few short years, but they chose that profession, at the risk of their lives sometimes. Most of America doesn't make what they do. Are teachers, nursers and day care providers any less deserving of improved salaries, seeing as how they nurture, teach and care for us?

I guess it comes down to me personally that I value some things more than others. And as much as I love football and the Redskins in particular, they don't mean as much as some other professions mean.

Hail back at you!

Oh, at the risk of getting a little :ot:, I couldn't agree more with you on the scandalous disparities in money between the professions; and taking it on further, the ridiculous reverence we put on these guys. At the end of the day, they play a game. Nothing more. Yes it effects a multitude of people in a multitude of different ways, but at the end of the day, it's just a game.

When it comes to comparing what the emergency services do, there is NO comparison. For want of a better word, the salaries in sports in general are obscene when you look at what the real heroes of our society do for a living on a daily basis, with little reward deserving of their efforts. And we're all as much to blame as the organizations that pay them for adding to it all by putting these guys on the pedestals we do.

A little more off topic, on the "what things mean in the great scheme of things" thang, and maybe this is a sign of age and priorities in life changing; but as much as I like to chew the fat on here over a sport and team I love, football just doesn't mean the same as it did in my youth. Back then, I'd be bent out of shape if we lost a game for most of the next week. And the thought of ever missing game was just not on the agenda, regardless of what ever else should of been.

Now, for want of a better description, I can function like "normal" members of society; if we lose, meh, we lose, there's always next Sunday, and I move on with my Sunday night and other things. Don't get me wrong, it still smarts, but not nearly as much as it once did. And if my partner needs me to do whatever on a Sunday, for her or the kids, who aren't mine by blood; well, the Redskins 'aint winning out. I can see the younger fans shaking their heads at that and thinking that will never be them. Heck, I did myself a few years back; but as you grow, situations, priorities ..... "life" changes.

At the end of the day, it's just a game. A pastime we all enjoy tremendously, but a hobby non the less. We sadly lose sight of that at times in all the emotion.

Ok, enough philosophising, back to your scheduled football talk ..... :silly:

Hail right back atcha' LSF. :cheers:

Princess will not be here, he has already stated that and made it clear he has no intention of being a good teammate and to develop any type of chemistry. Not news, but the media will have daily reports about him being unhappy and acting surpirsed he is a no show.

If his largeness shows up pissy and out of shape, I think Shanny will have him on the "mandatory" special teams squad.

Hell, he will probably make me eat my words, show up in top shape, motivated and ready to play NT or anywhere else on the line. We can all dream.....

That article and what they are doing in terms of team prep reinforces my notion that Haynesworth is missing something by not showing up. It may be something that he can catch up with, but he is missing practices, theory, and the how and why part of why Haslett will do what he's doing.

Does it make a difference if you can solve a math problem without understanding the theory behind it. Maybe not, but if you don't understand the theory you may be a step slower, esp. when something goes wrong.

He's a defensive lineman...not a physicist. Or even linebacker or DB. How much theory do you think is necessary for what his role will be? I really don't envision a zone blitz with AH dropping to cover the slant. Or an overload with AH covering the TE man to man down the seam. The theory part is important for guys like Orakpo that will have many responsibilities and roles. What will AH do? Eat blockers or rush?

Not to say he shouldn't be here and be part of the team building that is going on. But as I think of some of the great DL in Redskin history I don't think of people that were overly concerned with theory.

Not to say he shouldn't be here and be part of the team building that is going on. But as I think of some of the great DL in Redskin history I don't think of people that were overly concerned with theory.

Off topic, but this reminded me of a random thought I had today. Do you realize that if a young or an in his prime Dexter Manley was on this team today, Shanahan and Haslett would be converting him to linebacker. Kinda crazy, isn't it?

Oh, at the risk of getting a little :ot:, I couldn't agree more with you on the scandalous disparities in money between the professions

I've gone through periods of thinking it was ridiculous as well. In the end, I decided to look at it from a simple, purely economical standpoint to put the issue to rest for me.

America is a capitalist nation (don't argue that, that's for the tailgate ;)). Prices normally work on a supply-demand basis, and the reality is that the entertainment and services that these professional players provide is not only in extremely high demand, but its in extremely short supply. Very few have the abilities they have, and the NFL is a popular industry. And that's what their paychecks reflect.

It might not sync up morally, or even with your common sense, but that's how businesses work. If what you do is of a particularly specialized nature, and not many can do it, and its in high demand, you will get paid. Big time. No matter the field.

Is it fair, or right? Does it jive with the time and effort and heart that people in other professions, such as teaching or emergency services, put in? Maybe not, depending on your personal beliefs or first-hand knowledge. But that's how it goes.

Off topic, but this reminded me of a random thought I had today. Do you realize that if a young or an in his prime Dexter Manley was on this team today, Shanahan and Haslett would be converting him to linebacker. Kinda crazy, isn't it?

I wonder how the world of Redskin fans would have responded to Dexter saying "I'm really not meant to cover tight ends or line up off the ball, I meant to rush the passer without thinking about anything else"

Archived