Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rank the 32 Best RBs

MattFancy

Ok since ranking the QBs has gone well and generated some nice discussions, I think its time to move on to another position. Since some teams use RBBCs, its hard to decide who to teams use as starters. So just rank who you think the 32 best RBs in the league are. Then we can compare and see what everyone thinks.

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Chris Johnson

3. Ray Rice

4. Maurice Jones-Drew

5. Steven Jackson

6. Michael Turner

7. Frank Gore

8. DeAngelo Williams

9. Ryan Grant

10. Johnathon Stewart

11. Thomas Jones

12. Jamaal Charles

13. Cedric Benson

14. Shonn Greene

15. Rashard Mendenhall

16. Ronnie Brown

17. Ricky Williams

18. Pierre Thomas

19. Clinton Portis

20. Beanie Wells

21. Matt Forte

22. Knowshon Moreno

23. Fred Jackson

24. Felix Jones

25. Brandon Jacobs

26. LaDanian Tomlinson

27. Darren Sproles

28. Reggie Bush

29. Marion Barber

30. Joseph Addai

31. Jerome Harrison

32. LeSean McCoy

This is probably the hardest of the positions to rank. I think the top 5 or so are REALLY good. But after that, I don't think there's much of a difference between #13 and #32.

I expect to see alot of differences in this one and alot of good discussion!

Tomlinson at 26 but Portis is at 19? I'm not knocking your opinion, but the question needs to be asked... Why?

Maybe a little homerism slipping through. But I didn't realize I had the 2 so far apart. I do think as of right now CP might have a little bit of an edge, but over their careers, its not even close. LT is definitely better than CP and one of the best of all time.

Felix Jones is going to rocket up this list if he stays healthy. His big play ability and productivity in very limited touches is amazing, only Chris Johnson and Jamaal Charles had more runs of over 40 yards last season, and no one had a better YPC.

Let's see...

1. Chris Johnson
  2. Adrian Peterson
  3. Ray Rice
  4. Maurice Jones-Drew
  5. Steven Jackson
  6. DeAngelo Williams
  7. Jamaal Charles
  8. Frank Gore
  9. Michael Turner
  10. Jonathan Stewart
  11. Clinton Portis
  12. Thomas Jones
  13. Ryan Grant
  14. Ronnie Brown
  15. Cedric Benson
  16. Ricky Williams
  17. Pierre Thomas
  18. Fred Jackson
  19. Rashard Mendenhall
  20. Felix Jones
  21. Shonn Greene
  22. Beanie Wells
  23. Marion Barber
  24. Matt Forte
  25. Correll Buckhalter
  26. Jerome Harrison
  27. Ahmad Bradshaw
  28. Tim Hightower
  29. LeSean McCoy
  30. Justin Forsett
  31. LaDainian Tomlinson
  32. Brandon Jacobs

Eh, it's rough but it'll have to do. I might go back and make changes if the mood strikes me. As far as CP at #11 goes, let's just say I'm not convinced that his skills have deteriorated significantly since the beginning of the 2008 season.

Felix Jones is going to rocket up this list if he stays healthy. His big play ability and productivity in very limited touches is amazing, only Chris Johnson and Jamaal Charles had more runs of over 40 yards last season, and no one had a better YPC.

That's a rather big if, nevermind the fact that it is extremely rare for backs of his type to maintain a high yards per touch number over a larger load.

EA, I agree with CJ at #1, he's a much smarter runner than AP and will have a longer career than AP because he knows when to run out of bounds; however, there's no way Charles can be ahead of Gore. Charles was great in the 2nd half of last season; however, Gore has proven he has what it takes to be a top RB in this league for several seasons, and Charles has fumbling problems just like Peterson.

Also, where is Steven Jackson? Jackson is by far one of the most, if not the most, underrated RBs in the league. If Jackson had the opportunity to run behind an o-line like Tennessee's or Minnesota's then he would have numbers like what CJ had last season. What Jackson was able to do last year behind the Rams o-line and on the Rams offense was incredible. Defenses knew that he was the only weapon and yet they couldn't stop him.

Another RB people are sleeping on Pierre Thomas. He has the chance with Mike Bell gone and Reggie Bush often hurt to make a name for himself this season. IMO he easily could become a top 10 RB.

As for both of you having Thomas Jones at 11, we'll see what he does when he doesn't have the luxury of running behind one of the best o-lines in the league. I just can't see him putting up anywhere near the same numbers he did in New York.

EA, I agree with CJ at #1, he's a much smarter runner than AP and will have a longer career than AP because he knows when to run out of bounds; however, there's no way Charles can be ahead of Gore. Charles was great in the 2nd half of last season; however, Gore has proven he has what it takes to be a top RB in this league for several seasons, and Charles has fumbling problems just like Peterson.

I had a real hard time ignoring over 1100 yards of offense in the final 8 games of the season when I was trying to place Charles. I think it would have been a lot easier to break it down into tiers instead of a straight 1-32 ranking.

Also, where is Steven Jackson?

Hm... I could have sworn I had him in there. Oh well, looks like Knowshon gets the bump :ols:

I had a real hard time ignoring over 1100 yards of offense in the final 8 games of the season when I was trying to place Charles. I think it would have been a lot easier to break it down into tiers instead of a straight 1-32 ranking.

I agree it's hard to ignore what Charles did for the final 8 games of last season, but I have to see him put up great numbers for more than half of a season before I can rank him ahead of a RB like Gore who has put up solid numbers for 4 straight seasons. Also, don't be surprised if Gore rushes for the most yards this season with the 49ers actually putting an o-line in front of him with the additions of Davis and Iupati.

Breaking it down into tiers would be a bit easier, but I still wouldn't put Charles in the same tier with Gore, Williams, or Turner. He still has to prove he can take the beating throughout a full season and still post great numbers. Until then I would rank him around 11-13, just on his last 8 games and his potential.

which RB's are getting good numbers because of Oline? And dont tell me that doesnt matter, the Emmitt debates still Rage over that notion.

Maybe the tier system of bruiser backs vs scat backs would be a help to some of us? Just a thought.

Rank them how you see them then. This is meant for a debate, not to see who has the best list. RBs are probably the toughest to rank of any of the positions.

which RB's are getting good numbers because of Oline? And dont tell me that doesnt matter, the Emmitt debates still Rage over that notion.

Maybe the tier system of bruiser backs vs scat backs would be a help to some of us? Just a thought.

Not a bad idea... The different styles do heavily effect a backs use and yardage. Since RB is one of the hardest positions to rank, wouldnt hurt to add some other criteria into the discussion.

Shonn Greene over Rashard Mendenhall? Why? Because Green has a better OL while Mendenhall runs behind Justin Hartwig and Trai Essex?

I have Greene over Mendenhall as well, I love Greene's running style, he can run a defender over just as easily as he can run by them. Greene may have had a better offensive line, but Mendenhall had a much better passing game to relieve some of the pressure.

Greene had a much better rookie year compared with Mendenhall, and exploded in the playoffs. The kid looks set for stardom if he can stay on the field and prove to carry a full workload.

Greene had a much better rookie year compared with Mendenhall, and exploded in the playoffs. The kid looks set for stardom if he can stay on the field and prove to carry a full workload.

Mendenhall played about half a game his rookie year (and against the Ravens #2 D) before Ray Lewis broke his shoulder...

Consider his stats last season in a past happy offense and a poor OL

Rushing

CAR - 242

YDs - 1,108

AVG -4.6

TDs - 7

Receiving

REC - 25

YDs -261

AVG - 10.4

TD - 1

I'm not sure what you mean by he can run a defender over as well as run past them. Mendenhall can do just the same and evidence is when he played the same Charger team that Greene apparently destroyed during the playoffs. They have the same exact build but Rashard runs a 4.43 40.

This is what I would put, but its complicated because do you rank based on athletic ability/talent/potential? or previous production? Because if you take into account talent and potential than guys like CJ Spiller, Michael Bush, Darren McFadden, could be in there. I think after the top 6 on my list, theres not much difference, and theres a lot of guys that could be stuck at the bottom of this list that were missed out.. like the ones afore mentioned someone like chester taylor or steve slaton.

1. Chris Johnson

2. Adrian Peterson

3. Steven Jackson

4. Maurice Jones-Drew

5. Ray Rice

6. Frank Gore

7. DeAngelo Williams

8. Michael Turner

9. Ronnie Brown

10. Pierre Thomas

11. Johnathan Stewart

12. Cedric Benson

13. Shonn Greene

14. Ryan Grant

15. Fred Jackson

16. Brandon Jacobs

17. Knowshon Moreno

18. Matt Forte

19. Beanie Wells

20. Rashard Mendenhall

21. Marion Barber

22. Clinton Portis

23. Felix Jones

24. Ahmad Bradshaw

25. LeSean McCoy

26. Darren Sproles

27. Jerome Harrison

28. Reggie Bush

29. Willis McGahee

30. Jamaal Charles

31. Willis McGahee

32. Larry Johnson

I know Steve Jackson is underated in many peoples minds but he is not the no.3 back I also dont see Shonn Grene as great, nor Peirre Thomas . PT is a change of pace guy on a pass happy O, and Shonn Grene is a rotation guy in one of the best rushing games in the NFL .

There are a lot of guys on the list who are rotational guys and I would hold off in anointing them until they can show they can carry the team before I rank them so high . One example of this is Barber of the Cowboys . He was a beast in a rotation with Jones etc but as a starter is less than convincing .

I certianally do not like Marrion Barber over Portis who may for the first time in a long time will be in a system that fits him .

Thing is a lot of guys on this list have had one season where they have been decent and I understand the idea that as the RB gets older they can break down very quickly but then some of the older guys on the list have proven to be more durable than the young guns .

I know Steve Jackson is underated in many peoples minds but he is not the no.3 back I also dont see Shonn Grene as great, nor Peirre Thomas . PT is a change of pace guy on a pass happy O, and Shonn Grene is a rotation guy in one of the best rushing games in the NFL .

I certianally do not like Marrion Barber over Portis who may for the first time in a long time will be in a system that fits him .

Steven Jackson is one of the best RBs in the league, if not the best, but he happens to play on one of the worst offenses the NFL has seen in a while. Keith Null, Marc Bulger, and Kyle Boller were his QBs last season, and he had one of the worst offensive lines in the league as well, along with no threat at the TE or receiver positions. With all that said he still managed to lead the NFC and finished 2nd overall in rushing. I don't see how you can sit there and say that Jackson is not a top 3 back, when his performance clearly dictates otherwise.

I agree with Barber and Portis situation. I remember when the media and Puke fans were trying to say how Barber was better than Portis 2 or 3 years ago, and when Barber tried to be the workhorse back like Portis, he couldn't handle it and injured himself during the season. Barber isn't a starting back in the league, he's great at coming off the bench to finish off drives at the goal line, but he can't put his team on his back and lead them to the playoffs like Portis did in '05 and '07.

I think Steven Jackson is the best RB in the NFL playing behind the worst line.

As much as i don't like S. Jackson I have to give credit when credit is due so he most deff is in the tops of RB's in this league. On that note as much yards he rushed for he should have more then 4 TD's. <~~~~~(thats just the hater in me for Jackson).......:D

Archived