Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Doug Williams out in Tampa...we talked about him before...

corrupt3d

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/11/doug-williams-is-out-in-tampa/

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/7024

I remember his name came up a lot *COUGH* TK *COUGH* when Allen was hired. I think he'd be an awesome addition and he's had a lot of work experience with Allen. I say we should do it, it certainly can't HURT.

By: Charlie Campbell and Scott Reynolds

May 11, 2010 @ 3:48pm

Doug Williams had been with Tampa Bay's pro personnel department since 2004 (photo by Cliff Welch)

The Bucs and director of pro personnel Doug Williams have parted ways after six years. Contrary to reports around Jan. 1, Williams was not given a one-year contract extension. He and the team only decided to discuss an extension after the draft. Those discussions have now taken place and Williams has left the team.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and director of pro personnel Doug Williams have mutually agreed that Williams will leave the team effective immediately. One revelation about this departure is the fact that Williams was not given a one-year contract extension as reported by some around the first of the year.

Williams’ contract with the team was up early in 2010. Williams, general manager Mark Dominik, and the Bucs ownership agreed that Williams would stay on through NFL free agency and the NFL Draft. They collectively agreed to re-visit Williams' future with the organization in May. This week both parties decided to go in a new direction.

"Mark and I have sat down and talked about my future," Williams said. "After a lot of thought, I felt that it was the right time for me to look at new options. I wish nothing but the best for the Buccaneers."

Williams, a former Bucs quarterback who led Tampa Bay to its NFC Central division title in 1979, had been with the team since joining Dominik and the pro personnel department in 2004 under previous general manager Bruce Allen. As the director of pro personnel Williams coordinated the scouting and recruiting of NFL players. The previous five seasons under Allen, Williams worked in the pro scouting department as a personnel executive. Williams played a big role in the scouting and signing of former Buccaneers wide receiver Antonio Bryant. Dominik will begin the process of finding Williams replacement immediately, and no candidates have named at this time.

"I have tremendous respect for Doug's talents and am very appreciative of his many contributions to this franchise over the years," said Dominik. "At the end of last season, Doug and I began a conversation regarding his career. Doug concluded that now is the time for him to make the smoothest transition. Like Mike Alsott and Lee Roy Selmon, Doug will stay involved as a representative of the team in the community."

At the conclusion of the 2009 season, Williams had looked at other opportunities outside the Buccaneers organization. The University of South Florida had Williams as one of the candidates for their head coaching position. Williams was previously the head coach at his alma mater Grambling. During six seasons as a head coach Grambling won three straight conference titles in 2000-2002. Williams recorded a 52-18 overall record after following the legend Eddie Robinson, who was the head coach for 57 years and set a college record with 408 wins.

The Bucs also have mutually parted ways with college area scout Frank Dorazio. Dorazio's contract was up at the conclusion of the draft, and the team and Dorazio decided to pursue other options. The Buccaneers replaced Dorazio with Justin Sheridan, who was a pro scout with Tampa Bay since 2006.

Another previous move was the team losing college personnel assistant Richard Mann II to the Washington Redskins.

Please use the original source and don't drive traffic to PFT if possible.

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/7024

By: Charlie Campbell and Scott Reynolds

May 11, 2010 @ 3:48pm

Doug Williams had been with Tampa Bay's pro personnel department since 2004 (photo by Cliff Welch)

The Bucs and director of pro personnel Doug Williams have parted ways after six years. Contrary to reports around Jan. 1, Williams was not given a one-year contract extension. He and the team only decided to discuss an extension after the draft. Those discussions have now taken place and Williams has left the team.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and director of pro personnel Doug Williams have mutually agreed that Williams will leave the team effective immediately. One revelation about this departure is the fact that Williams was not given a one-year contract extension as reported by some around the first of the year.

Williams’ contract with the team was up early in 2010. Williams, general manager Mark Dominik, and the Bucs ownership agreed that Williams would stay on through NFL free agency and the NFL Draft. They collectively agreed to re-visit Williams' future with the organization in May. This week both parties decided to go in a new direction.

"Mark and I have sat down and talked about my future," Williams said. "After a lot of thought, I felt that it was the right time for me to look at new options. I wish nothing but the best for the Buccaneers."

Williams, a former Bucs quarterback who led Tampa Bay to its NFC Central division title in 1979, had been with the team since joining Dominik and the pro personnel department in 2004 under previous general manager Bruce Allen. As the director of pro personnel Williams coordinated the scouting and recruiting of NFL players. The previous five seasons under Allen, Williams worked in the pro scouting department as a personnel executive. Williams played a big role in the scouting and signing of former Buccaneers wide receiver Antonio Bryant. Dominik will begin the process of finding Williams replacement immediately, and no candidates have named at this time.

"I have tremendous respect for Doug's talents and am very appreciative of his many contributions to this franchise over the years," said Dominik. "At the end of last season, Doug and I began a conversation regarding his career. Doug concluded that now is the time for him to make the smoothest transition. Like Mike Alsott and Lee Roy Selmon, Doug will stay involved as a representative of the team in the community."

At the conclusion of the 2009 season, Williams had looked at other opportunities outside the Buccaneers organization. The University of South Florida had Williams as one of the candidates for their head coaching position. Williams was previously the head coach at his alma mater Grambling. During six seasons as a head coach Grambling won three straight conference titles in 2000-2002. Williams recorded a 52-18 overall record after following the legend Eddie Robinson, who was the head coach for 57 years and set a college record with 408 wins.

The Bucs also have mutually parted ways with college area scout Frank Dorazio. Dorazio's contract was up at the conclusion of the draft, and the team and Dorazio decided to pursue other options. The Buccaneers replaced Dorazio with Justin Sheridan, who was a pro scout with Tampa Bay since 2006.

Another previous move was the team losing college personnel assistant Richard Mann II to the Washington Redskins.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/11/doug-williams-is-out-in-tampa/

I remember his name came up a lot *COUGH* TK *COUGH* when Allen was hired. I think he'd be an awesome addition and he's had a lot of work experience with Allen. I say we should do it, it certainly can't help.

lol I think you mean can't HURT... but yeah, it would be awesome to have him in here. However, I thought that Tampa didn't do the best job evaluating talent? If they think he'll fit here, it would be awesome to have names like Allen and Williams in the organization.

I wouldn't mind seeing him brought in to help in some capacity (figured I'd throw that out since Bruce and Mike were waiting on my approval). Though isn't Scott Campbell still with the team in the position of director of player personnel?

I'm sure they could give him some random title, but what way would you like to see Doug Williams used if they were to offer him a job?

He just need to be part of the Redskins organization again. He don't need to evaluate talent. Just sit back and look like you are busy when the camera shines on you. Plus we just sign Richard Mann so we are already headed down the wrong path.

lol I think you mean can't HURT... but yeah, it would be awesome to have him in here. However, I thought that Tampa didn't do the best job evaluating talent? If they think he'll fit here, it would be awesome to have names like Allen and Williams in the organization.

If hiring Doug as an executive can't hurt, it also can't help.

He just need to be part of the Redskins organization again. He don't need to evaluate talent. Just sit back and look like you are busy when the camera shines on you. Plus we just sign Richard Mann so we are already headed down the wrong path.

I'd like to see Doug back in D.C. but I don't agree with paying a guy to do nothing. If he can contribute I'll give him the edge because of his history, if he can't then there is no reason to bring him in.

Williams should only be brought in if he is going to be an upgrade over what we have. Allen obviously knows his ability. It's always nice to have former Redskins involved but more importantly, I want the most talented and qualified folks running our organization. I don't care if it is a former Redskin or ....:puke: former cowboy.

Archived