Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Doug Williams out in Tampa...we talked about him before...

corrupt3d

it could be worse i suppose, at least we are not Cleveland with a sloppy drunk wanting to run our team. Williams is a better alternative to Kosar.

PS whats the deal with all these friggin Williams' on our squad? must be driving the equipment guys batty.

At the end of the 1989 season, the Redskins released Williams. In an interview with Donald Hunt of Sport, Williams related how he felt cheated that the Redskins had given up on him. "It's funny, they give Joe Montana a whole year off to get his elbow together...(Montana) didn't have to worry about a thing. As for me, my team never gave me a chance to rehabilitate my back." Williams retired from professional football....

Doug was not a happy camper when he was cut loose by the Skins. He had one great game, and he somehow compared himself with Joe Montana.

That anger did linger. Maybe he has gotten over it and could be an asset for the Redskins.

At the end of the 1989 season, the Redskins released Williams. In an interview with Donald Hunt of Sport, Williams related how he felt cheated that the Redskins had given up on him. "It's funny, they give Joe Montana a whole year off to get his elbow together...(Montana) didn't have to worry about a thing. As for me, my team never gave me a chance to rehabilitate my back." Williams retired from professional football....

Doug was not a happy camper when he was cut loose by the Skins. He had one great game, and he somehow compared himself with Joe Montana.

That anger did linger. Maybe he has gotten over it and could be an asset for the Redskins.

Excellent find. This is a bit of a real history lesson for those who were not around back then and a refresher for those who have chosen to forget. Doug Williams was a whiner and complainer when here and viewed himself as some elite QB. Joe Montana Doug? Really? He compared himself to Joe freaking Montana! Yeah the 49ers gave Montana a year......HE IS JOE MONTANA! Doug was being outperformed by Mark Rypien right from the start. End of the real history lesson and not the glossed over one folks usually get.

As for him returning as a personnel guy, Did not the Bucs start their slide about 2006? Right around the time Williams' input in players would have taken hold? Pass. No need for a failed front office guy to come here only because of a single 15 minute window of greatness. Might as well bring in Timmy Smith if we are going to reward for single quarter greatness in SB22.

any man who put together the finest 15 minutes in Redskins history is welcome anytime to return. The Golden Quarter will never be forgotten.

He was also hurt when he did this. He got tackled and his knee bent in a weird way. I thought for sure he wasn't geting up from that one.

Doug is the most overrated Redskin ever. One great quarter of football; he happened to have it at the right time. Respect for that, but he was never one of the greats here.

As much as it kills me to say this, he and Timmy Smith have one big thing in-common. Neither did much after putting up huge performances in that Super Bowl.

As much as it kills me to say this, he and Timmy Smith have one big thing in-common. Neither did much after putting up huge performances in that Super Bowl.

I agree with this statement, but it also doesn't diminish what they did in that game.

Archived