Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

231st pick Selvish Capers OT

Drexen Del'Sangre

If you look at what happened, there probably wouldn't be a quality ILB available for us in the 6th if we had taken B. Campbell in the 4th. We needed both a RT and an ILB. We wound up with both since Capers fell to us. So, in the end, our guys let the draft come to them, playing the draft very well, and I'm really impressed.

im really excited about capers. hopefully he comes out swinging in training camp and impresses everyone.

Not to mention he's a converted TE. So assuming he hasn't forgotten how to catch in his 2 years playing OT, he'd be a sweet (perhaps not-so) "secret weapon" out of a Jumbo or other Goal-line type formation.

I'm really pleased that we were able to draft two tackles who are physical specimens. I believe the Capers has the talent to be a great RT if he responds well to the coaching. Luckily, we have an superior coaching staff with excellent records of developing young talent from Mike to Kyle to Chris Foerester.

I think it will be crucial to have tackles gifted with great athleticism because all season long, you have to face Ware, Spencer, Tuck, Osi, Kiwi, Cole, and now Pierre-Paul and Brandon Graham. Your tackles have to be able to compete with elite athletes. That was my main concern about drafting Okung because he wouldn't have the athleticism to play in the NFC East.

I think Capers has that type of physical ability and if he can improve his technique and show consistency could be one of the gems in this strong draft class. In any other draft, we wouldn't be able to acquire a tackle of this caliber any earlier than the 4th. He just needs some time to sit and develop. Hopefully, in a few seasons, we will have drafted our bookends this year.

which post? im much more excited about capers than the fullback.

Have you seen the

of the FB? Not saying a FB/TE is deserving of more excitement that an OT but he is worth a look.

If you've already seen it, my apologies.

Have you seen the
of the FB? Not saying a FB/TE is deserving of more excitement that an OT but he is worth a look.

If you've already seen it, my apologies.

havent seen it, but i just meant in terms of what an impact OT could do for this team over an impact FB. if capers actually ends up starting, we'd have our two bookend tackles from this draft.

and its not a stretch to think that capers could contribute sooner than later. he was projected very high earlier this season and fell way down, but that potential is there and if we can get the best of him, its gonna pay off huge for us.

havent seen it, but i just meant in terms of what an impact OT could do for this team over an impact FB. if capers actually ends up starting, we'd have our two bookend tackles from this draft.

and its not a stretch to think that capers could contribute sooner than later. he was projected very high earlier this season and fell way down, but that potential is there and if we can get the best of him, its gonna pay off huge for us.

Watching Capers' highlight tape earlier, he's got a lot to work on. It looks like speed rushers would eat him for lunch right now.

I can see Morris making more of an impact on special teams sooner.

Watching Capers' highlight tape earlier, he's got a lot to work on. It looks like speed rushers would eat him for lunch right now.

I can see Morris making more of an impact on special teams sooner.

Brandon Graham just killed Capers in the Senior Bowl. I hope we don't see Capers at RT this year, or the Eagles would be wise to just line Graham up across from him again and reap the sacks and TFL's.

yeah, i'm not a fan of capers in 60. samuels played his entire career here and was a perennial pro bowler. there's really only one other guy who can say that the last 20 years.
\

We should retire his number, just like the Seahawks retired walter Jones'.

\

That's not really what we do.

Officially, there's only 1 retired number in the history of this organization, although you have to believe 21 will be retired someday (or at least unofficially retired for a long time).

Even if it was what we did, Samuels, as great a player as he was, wasn't on the "retire his number" level, imo. Not that some rook should take his number the year after he calls it a career...

\

Samuels is working P/T at Redskin Park helping out the OL. I'm sure one of the conversations he had was with Capers and that he could wear his number. He's a class act and probably didn't think twice.

You have to go into the 6th and 7th rounds and figure these are players that are going to help you in 2011 and 2012, outside of special teams perhaps.

putting more pressure on them than that is just not realistic.

the Redskins still need to bring in a veteran OT and probably another OG as well before the start of the season for depth.

part of the reason Shanahan and Allen have had to sign so many veteran free agents in 2010 is that the club just didn't have the necessary depth after the Cerrato years.

All those traded picks and bust draft choices from 2005-2009 that should have been on the team and pushing for jobs and instead the team was left with some 'maybe' players.

Phillip Buchanon is here because JT Tryon and Kevin Barnes are question marks.

Larry Johnson and Willie Parker are here because the team had not drafted or developed a back since 2002 when Betts and Cartwright joined the Redskins.

The age of the backs as not increased, Betts (31) and Cartwright (30) are actually older than Johnson and Parker.

And nowhere was the indictment worse than at quarterback.

Beyond Campbell there was nothing redeemable here. Collins at 38 is done. Brennan is a 27 year old 'never has been'.

That situation and the dearth of true franchise passers in the draft necessitated the McNabb trade.

I'm really pleased that we were able to draft two tackles who are physical specimens. I believe the Capers has the talent to be a great RT if he responds well to the coaching. Luckily, we have an superior coaching staff with excellent records of developing young talent from Mike to Kyle to Chris Foerester.

I'll give you Mike and Kyle but even removing the blind homer love for Buges Foerster has never had that type of success.

I think anyone looking for Capers to take away a starting job is asking way too much. First thing I'm looking for is for him to make the team. 2011 or 2012 is when I would look for him to either make his push for playing time or accept his role as a backup.

Archived