Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT- Redskins trying to acquire QB Bradford

MAATopDogg

If you go big and miss, you stay home for a lot longer.

You can't win playing scared. That's how you end up with Josh Freeman or JC.

If you really want an elite QB, you have to take your shot when it presents itself.

I'm not in favor of trading everything to move up, but you definitely get on the phone, and see what they want.

Im fine with getting Bradford and all.....but then it makes the whole Mcnabb thing the dumbest thing ever done....

I mean just a throw away second round pick, not to mention we would have had the extra ammo to ACTUALLY get Bradford.......just retarded.

You're not kidding.

I'm going to be super pissed if the reason the Rams accept a trade with the Browns over the Skins is because of a second round pick.

Well, first the "2 1sts for 85" was a bit overblown. I'm sure the conditional 2nd pick would probably have required 85 to have a great season and probably playoff appearances to reach that level. Not to mention that it was probably an absolute max offer for him.

Second, Chicago DID give up more than 2 1st rounders and a QB to get Cutler.

what was the extra pick, a 3rd? vinny gave away draft picks like they were nothing. an extra 3rd rounder was hardly a deterrent for a dumb dumb like him.

and you might be right, it could have been a "conditional" pick. but thats still a horrid trade idea for a malcontent WR when we, at the time, had a lameduck QB. my whole point was that if our GM was ok with giving up multiple 1st rounders for a WR, giving up a similar package for a franchise QB is well within reason.

I'm not sure who these people are. Most thought the talks were real enough. If you didn't think you had your answer at QB, you should have at least have been talking to Denver about him.

you pull up enough threads from the post cutler trade and there were definitely posters who claimed it was just media speculation and rumors that were never confirmed, and how the team never really wanted cutler (or sanchez for that matter).

You can't win playing scared.

I agree. I think a lot of teams reach for QBs often enough because they buy into the hype and think that they may never have an opportunity again, which leads to bad picks. Nothing muddies the water more than a QB, especially when most of them nowadays don't run pro offenses. That's why I have a hard time believing that Bradford is a sure thing. Lots of potential there to be sure, but many questions as well.

Also, I think a lot of QBs fail because they don't get the support they need. Often, these guys are drafted by bad teams, who have many issues beyond the need for a QB and are not put in the best situations. While some may be able to rise above it, many don't.

We don't have the "ammunition" for a trade for Bradford. Whatever we could offer, other teams could offer more, unless we stray into the realms of the ridiculous by giving up a stack of future draft picks (please no...).

There's a slim chance the Rams don't draft Bradford, in which case he'll be gone at number 3 by someone trading up past us. If he was still there at 4 I'd trade down for a bonanza :)

Great post on redskins insider. Next years FA class if there is one is going to be outstanding! Combining all the players that couldnt be FA this year with the regular FA. Thats why picks in next years draft could be less valuable to the skins and other teams.

what was the extra pick, a 3rd? vinny gave away draft picks like they were nothing. an extra 3rd rounder was hardly a deterrent for a dumb dumb like him.

Uh, that was Gibbs that liked to trade away draft picks...

and you might be right, it could have been a "conditional" pick. but thats still a horrid trade idea for a malcontent WR when we, at the time, had a lameduck QB. my whole point was that if our GM was ok with giving up multiple 1st rounders for a WR, giving up a similar package for a franchise QB is well within reason.

WR was considered a big need at the time. We did end up drafting three receivers that year. BTW, I think you have your years mixed up, since that was Zorn's first year that we looked at trading for a WR.

I don't dismiss that the team could have been willing to spend 2 1st rounders and Campbell for Cutler, tho really talks didn't seem to go far enough to see how they were willing to go to trade for Cutler.

you pull up enough threads from the post cutler trade and there were definitely posters who claimed it was just media speculation and rumors that were never confirmed, and how the team never really wanted cutler (or sanchez for that matter).

There was enough suspicious stuff around the Sanchez talks that made me believe that a lot of it was a smokescreen. Did they have interest in Sanchez? Sure. Was it to the degree that some of the media was reporting? I don't think so. Really, Snyder tipped the team's hand when they said that the next year's 1st rounder was not touchable.

The whole idea of him as a 1 year rental doesn't make much sense considering what we gave up to get him. If you really wanted to keep the seat warm for the next guy, you could have just stuck with Campbell or Grossman for a year.

So what will Bradford learn from Campbell or Grossman besides how not to play QB?

McNabb is in his contract year so he will have to perform well to get a good FA contract next year with whoever wants him. He will serve as a great mentor for Bradford this year. It seems like a win win situation to me.

So they are suggesting we would trade Haynesworth and/or Landry and or Campbell to SWAP the #4 and #1 picks? Are you freaking kidding me? The only way that goes down is if it is a straight trade, players for pick. We're not giving up all that to move up 3 spots in a draft.

If we did give up that much we'd have to get St. Louis' #2 pick and probably a 4th as well. We'd be giving them 3 key starters for just one draft pick. I don't see that happening.

Uh, that was Gibbs that liked to trade away draft picks...

so gibbs traded a 2nd rounder for jason taylor? you cant just say it was all gibbs trading picks away. when vinny was here nothing was different, same stupid trading of picks. it wasnt like once gibbs left all trading of picks stopped. hell vinny never even traded our players for picks, which is something you would do if you wanted to recoup picks that we'd lost under gibbs (example the 4th vinny lost from the kendall trade).

WR was considered a big need at the time. We did end up drafting three receivers that year. BTW, I think you have your years mixed up, since that was Zorn's first year that we looked at trading for a WR.

I don't dismiss that the team could have been willing to spend 2 1st rounders and Campbell for Cutler, tho really talks didn't seem to go far enough to see how they were willing to go to trade for Cutler.

WR was a big need, so you draft them which we did. trading 2 high picks for a 30 year old crazy receiver would have been suicide. the fact that trade was even discussed makes me sick.

and i still think it just came down to orton vs campbell. remember our draft picks were worth more than chicagos considering we had an earlier pick (13 vs 18).

There was enough suspicious stuff around the Sanchez talks that made me believe that a lot of it was a smokescreen. Did they have interest in Sanchez? Sure. Was it to the degree that some of the media was reporting? I don't think so. Really, Snyder tipped the team's hand when they said that the next year's 1st rounder was not touchable.

i think we tried to get both, however i think in the sanchez deal we just werent willing to give up that much for an unproven guy. a guy coming off a probowl monster season was worth the picks, an unknown 1 year starter at USC was not. but i think we were very interested.

Kind of off-topic, but not worthy of a thread.

I am not even sure that Bradford would want to come to DC.

Is DC a more attractive franchise than STL? Of course.

But he sat out almost all of last year, and now he would sit another year or two.

The guy probably wants to play, instead of riding the bench.

If we did give up that much we'd have to get St. Louis' #2 pick and probably a 4th as well. We'd be giving them 3 key starters for just one draft pick. I don't see that happening.

Al would probably only get us a 2nd. JC or Landry probably 4th / 3rd at best. In essence; your trade would be Rams 1st for our 4th.

Really, people. At least look at Eli - Rivers trade as blue print as wants needed before posting sensible trade numbers.

Even though we'd be giving up alot to get Bradford, if you think he's an elite franchise type QB, you have to go for it. We're so close, so the trade up value is going to be lower now than ever.

Even with McNabb and Okung at LT, we'd be a decent, but not great team. I don't mind having McNabb and a scrub OL (with Flozell Adams and Shawn Andrews) playing a few seasons and building momentum for this team, while Bradford get's ready. By then we'll have older players like Fletcher, Moss, Rabach, Sellers, Portis, etc. moved on while we are building around Bradford.

Kind of off-topic, but not worthy of a thread.

I am not even sure that Bradford would want to come to DC.

Is DC a more attractive franchise than STL? Of course.

But he sat out almost all of last year, and now he would sit another year or two.

The guy probably wants to play, instead of riding the bench.

Don't think sitting out a year would be a problem when he'll be getting 50 million in guarantee money. And, tutor under Shannahan.

As one Lambs fan put it: "I don't want to see the David Carr Story sequel."

If Bradford comes here, he may become the next Aaron Rodgers. If he goes there, he'll likely become the next Joey Harrington.

Bradford comes from a great family and has all the intangibles you want in a future leader. If destiny exists, and intends that Bradford should have a bright future in the NFL...well...

He'll end up here somehow.

so gibbs traded a 2nd rounder for jason taylor? you cant just say it was all gibbs trading picks away. when vinny was here nothing was different, same stupid trading of picks. it wasnt like once gibbs left all trading of picks stopped. hell vinny never even traded our players for picks, which is something you would do if you wanted to recoup picks that we'd lost under gibbs (example the 4th vinny lost from the kendall trade).

Actually, the trading of picks for players did mostly end in 2007, after the disastrous moves of 2006. The only trades for players were for needs that came about in training camp.

If you look at Vinny's history when he's been in charge, it has mostly to trade back in drafts and collect more picks.

WR was a big need, so you draft them which we did. trading 2 high picks for a 30 year old crazy receiver would have been suicide. the fact that trade was even discussed makes me sick.

And how has that worked out for us so far? Hell, neither of those guys were able to dislodge ARE from the #2 receiver spot.

Considering that we were coming off of a playoff appearance, I could see the need for an immediate impact player there. Personally, I didn't think it would have been a great trade for us, but I understood the need, one we are still struggling with and hoping that one of these guys steps up and becomes an impact player. No guarantee that any of our young guys will have that kind of production.

Ponder isn't coming out until next year. ;)

Bradford will be startin before Ponder gets drafted. Oh and BTW most experts said the same about Bradford last year. Can't believe you guys don't see future in this kid. A lot of "haters" out there;)

Actually, the trading of picks for players did mostly end in 2007, after the disastrous moves of 2006. The only trades for players were for needs that came about in training camp.

If you look at Vinny's history when he's been in charge, it has mostly to trade back in drafts and collect more picks.

we traded our 2nd rounder and 7th rounder for two players that arent on the team anymore. the trading of picks did not stop at all. vinny just wasnt around by himself long enough to keep screwing us.

And how has that worked out for us so far? Hell, neither of those guys were able to dislodge ARE from the #2 receiver spot.

Considering that we were coming off of a playoff appearance, I could see the need for an immediate impact player there. Personally, I didn't think it would have been a great trade for us, but I understood the need, one we are still struggling with and hoping that one of these guys steps up and becomes an impact player. No guarantee that any of our young guys will have that kind of production.

personally i think thomas and kelly are going to have bigger years, especially thomas. you know where i stand, i think the issue was at QB, and that has been addressed. mcnabb has a knack for getting the most out of his players and thomas has the size, speed, and hands to get it done. now we have a guy who knows how to lead receivers and is much more accurate and less gunshy than the last guy.

i see thomas having a very good season.

I still can't believe people think Cutler was actually going to be good away from Denver.

Cutler is actually good. He's an idiot, and like Elway in his youth, relies too much on his arm, and hasn't developed a great QB brain, but he's a pro bowl/all pro QB on a team w/actual weapons. What would any QB accomplish in this league w/the crap they trotted out at WR last year (a reserve DB, and a bunch of non-entity squids that would be no better than 4th or 5th options on other teams, hell, their WR's would make Thomas and Kelly look like Lance Allworth, and Mark Duper).

A lot of fans for whatever reason loved piling on him, and completing forgetting about his talent the past year. Dude's a very, very talented QB, he just doesnt appear to have a great football brain or he's just needs some talent.

we traded our 2nd rounder and 7th rounder for two players that arent on the team anymore. the trading of picks did not stop at all. vinny just wasnt around by himself long enough to keep screwing us.

The James trade was no more stupid than us trading for Carriker. Both were busts for their old team and coming off of major injuries. We spent the equivalent of a very late pick on both of them. Oh, and Vinny got that 7th rounder back.

personally i think thomas and kelly are going to have bigger years, especially thomas. you know where i stand, i think the issue was at QB, and that has been addressed. mcnabb has a knack for getting the most out of his players and thomas has the size, speed, and hands to get it done. now we have a guy who knows how to lead receivers and is much more accurate and less gunshy than the last guy.

i see thomas having a very good season.

You can believe a lot of things, but until it actually happens (or doesn't happen) the question is going to be there.

I can't believe so many of you are saying you wouldn't want this to happen. You think we'll go 4-12 next year and have another shot at the top QB in the draft? Bradford is THAT good. If you have any shot at taking him, you do it.

If we dump AH, LL, and our #4 to get this guy, we'll have plenty of chances to draft in the top 5 in the next decade for sure. Write it down, take a picture, do whatever, just remember, trading everything for 1 guy who hasn't played but one year of college ball is insane!

Archived