Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting quote about Bulaga...

Dirk Diggler

I've wanted the guy at #4 for the Skins since January when he wasn't getting much buzz. Picks don't get any safer than this guy....

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/04/13/tight-ends-may-benefit-from-subpar-wrs

"With (Iowa OT Bryan) Bulaga, what you see is what you get. The more you watch him, the more he grows on you. He is like one of the old Redskins ('Hogs')."

I like Bulaga - a lot.

But here is another quote from that site:

"If you want a left tackle with feet who can run and is athletic and can kick-slide, the guy you want is (Oklahoma's) Trent Williams. He's got a little nasty to him in the run game. He is a better football player than (Russell) Okung. Okung is cleaner and might be a right tackle when all is said and done."

What I don't like is that the sources of the quotes are not named.

But I think we can work with any of the three.

:helmet:The Rook

I don't know about one of the HOG's because he got abused by graham at the Senior Bowl repeatedly. He's good but not #4 good. We should either pick Okung or trade down.

I agree with the trade down, as long as we can still get Williams or Bulaga.

:helmet:The Rook

I like Bulaga - a lot.

"If you want a left tackle with feet who can run and is athletic and can kick-slide, the guy you want is (Oklahoma's) Trent Williams. He's got a little nasty to him in the run game. He is a better football player than (Russell) Okung. Okung is cleaner and might be a right tackle when all is said and done."

Bulaga might have the lower ceiling than TW but he has a much, much higher floor. There are serious questions about TW's dedication and focus and whether he will check out once he gets a big pay day.

We need to hit a single or a double with this pick, not a grand slam with a high risk of striking out.

:ols: that's funny (senior bowl thing).

Anyway, I like this guy a lot, but I heard the same thing, as far as him being a better RT fit. If we traded down, I'd take a chance on the guy in a second. I really like him. Of course, that could also have to do with him being an underclassman, I mean, if they're saying he's a better RT, and he's STILL rated in the top 10 as a junior, that's saying a ton about his talent.

Bulaga was a junior. So I'm not sure how he got into the Senior Bowl without anyone noticing.

I'm predicting a Tiger Woods like scandal here...

My bad I was thinking of Mike Iupati from Idaho.:silly:

I'd take Bulaga if he is there and Okung is gone.

:ols: that's funny (senior bowl thing).

Anyway, I like this guy a lot, but I heard the same thing, as far as him being a better RT fit. If we traded down, I'd take a chance on the guy in a second. I really like him. Of course, that could also have to do with him being an underclassman, I mean, if they're saying he's a better RT, and he's STILL rated in the top 10 as a junior, that's saying a ton about his talent.

Or that its a very top-heavy draft in terms of OL talent, giving the good prospects higher value than they would normally have, even if they aren't elite.

Or that its a very top-heavy draft in terms of OL talent, giving the good prospects higher value than they would normally have, even if they aren't elite.

I agree with that, but the guy is still rated #2 or 3 out of the class. All I'm saying is, if he's only a RT, then that's VERY high for him to be (as far as ranking among OTs goes).

Most people said Oher was a better RT too, while he hasn't played as much LT, he did a good job there, good enough that Gaither has been on the market. And he was picked at 23. I'm not saying we can't find OT talent in the draft, I think there are 6 or 7 guys that could be starters immediately (especially on our line), I'm just saying I like Bulaga along with the others.

For you Big XII fans ... watch tape on O’Brien Schofield and Brandon Graham against him. He struggled against premier speed rushers.

Maybe that's why people are suggesting he'd be a better RT.

I really like Bulaga as a prospect. But I just don't see him being a better player then Okung.

For you Big XII fans ... watch tape on O’Brien Schofield and Brandon Graham against him. He struggled against premier speed rushers.

Not sure it was the speed rush. I didn't see the game, but I heard that Graham was getting under him pretty consistently which isn't surprising - BG is a tough nut.

Bulaga had a thyroid condition that he was being treated for and missed 3 games early in the year and I think he was still working himself back into game shape. Michigan was his first or second game back I think. That said, Brandon Graham is a terrific player and should be drafted in the top 15 so that's nothing to be ashamed of.

BB played against GTech's Derrick Morgan (who is supposed to go in the top 10 next week) in his last game and ate him for lunch. It was as clean a game as I've ever seen a LT play.

I like Bulaga - a lot.

I'm a bit confused by this quote. They talk about Trent Williams being a better NFL LT prospect than Okung, and yet Williams played LT for only ONE year (after Loadholt got drafted), and was pretty inconistent many times. He was a great RT but, from what I saw in the Oklahoma games I watched, and what I've read as well, he had some issues with technique and footwork.

He also shot up the draft boards very late, mostly after he worked out really well, which is a very big red light for me, whereas Okung has been viewed as one of the best LTs in the nation since his Junior year. Could he possibly have a higher ceiling than Okung? Maybe, but I'm not convinced even of that. Unless he has a decent amount of time to work with NFL coaches on his technique, etc I really see him more as a RT at the next level. I would rather get a more "sure" thing kind of guy at #4 than take a chance on a guy who might just be a workout warrior and would end up being at RT on the Skins. Obviously we need a RT too, but you don't take a RT at #4 overall.

I'm a bit confused by this quote. They talk about Trent Williams being a better NFL LT prospect than Okung, and yet Williams played LT for only ONE year (after Loadholt got drafted), and was pretty inconistent many times. He was a great RT but, from what I saw in the Oklahoma games I watched, and what I've read as well, he had some issues with technique and footwork.

He also shot up the draft boards very late, mostly after he worked out really well, which is a very big red light for me, whereas Okung has been viewed as one of the best LTs in the nation since his Junior year. Could he possibly have a higher ceiling than Okung? Maybe, but I'm not convinced even of that. Unless he has a decent amount of time to work with NFL coaches on his technique, etc I really see him more as a RT at the next level. I would rather get a more "sure" thing kind of guy at #4 than take a chance on a guy who might just be a workout warrior and would end up being at RT on the Skins. Obviously we need a RT too, but you don't take a RT at #4 overall.

The simple answer is that people saw him run a "blazing fast" 40 (for an OT) and completely disregarded all his other shortcomings and proclaimed him the best LT in the draft. It's like the Al Davis strain of stupid hit and people lost common sense (Mike Mayock was the first carrier and Don Banks being the latest victim).

Bulaga is hands down the best run blocker in this draft. He repeatedly drove his man 5 and 10 yards of the ball. He played in a zone blocking scheme in college so he will fit Shanny's scheme. His pass blocking is not elite but very good. I would take him at #4 and not think twice about it.

Bulaga is a RT not a 4th overall pick. See the sig for my "wishful thinking" solution.

I agree... and he's worse coming out than Roberty Gallery was.

Also, Brady Quinn was a better prospect coming out than Jimmy Clausen...

Know your history or you are doomed to repeat it...

I don't know about one of the HOG's because he got abused by graham at the Senior Bowl repeatedly. He's good but not #4 good. We should either pick Okung or trade down.

Edit: I wouldn't mind Williams @ 4

He isn't a Senior, so he didn't play at the senior bowl. I think ur talkn bout Mike Iupati. He was abused during the senior bowl.

Archived