Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting quote about Bulaga...

Dirk Diggler

Says bulaga isn't a LT thinks he may even be a guard. I think he could handle RT myself.

Casserly is in the extreme minority if he doesn't think BB can play LT. If this were actually league consensus, then he wouldn't be talked about in the top 10. Now, if he meant to say that he thinks RT would be his best position - that would make more sense.

Regardless, some people in the media and quite a few posters on this board will be eating large amounts of crow when he goes in the top 9. That I can guarantee. Feel free to bump this thread.

Bulaga might have the lower ceiling than TW but he has a much, much higher floor. There are serious questions about TW's dedication and focus and whether he will check out once he gets a big pay day.

We need to hit a single or a double with this pick, not a grand slam with a high risk of striking out.

At least make the analogy a football related one.

I don't know about one of the HOG's because he got abused by graham at the Senior Bowl repeatedly. He's good but not #4 good. We should either pick Okung or trade down.

Edit: I wouldn't mind Williams @ 4

WE need a big OT to play in the NFC East. This may be the last time we will ever have a draft pick this high, we can't pass or tradedown. It's Okung, Williams or Bulaga count on it.

Anyone see casserly's take on bulaga today on path to the draft?

Says bulaga isn't a LT thinks he may even be a guard. I think he could handle RT myself.

Yes I saw that and Jamie Dukes and EX-OLinemen said the same thing. They both don't feel he can play LT in the NFL but can start at Guard.

We will see what happens next week gonna be a crazy draft!

Bulaga... that sounds funny, although i wouldnt tell him that in person, ... seems to have some good draft value , i dont know if he goes #4 though.... it makes sense to pick the guy you think will fit the team better.. its no use getting a guy whose "value" is high if he dont want to play here

Was outleveraged by Michigan’s Brandon Graham

But owned the top rated DE in the draft Derrick Morgan in the BSC game.

I like Okung, but just feel Bulaga is the guy you can plug in right away and forgot about him. That's what we need.

Bulaga, Okung and Rodger Saffold are the guy's I'm most comfortable with.

Here's a former GM who thinks he's worth a top 5:

Pat, You mention in your mock draft that you think you know Chiefs GM Scott Pioli well enough to think he'll draft Bulaga from Iowa. Is Bulaga worth a pick that high? My concern is that the Chiefs lack so much talent, that I don't know how many times you can have top 5 picks and not get a pro bowl calibre players. Seems like a formula for ending up with a pick in the same spot next year.

Pat Kirwan, NFL.com

Chad, Bryan Bulaga is an NFL-ready left tackle... now. There are guys with potential that may look like better athletes, but they may need two years to get ready. Study the guys that Scott was involved with in New England. If the Chiefs pass on him, he'll be gone within three or four picks. Does that make it too high to take Bulaga at five?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/18/mmqb/index.html

Is Bryan Bulaga the next Robert Gallery? Two Midwestern kids, two Iowa left tackles, two guys forecast to be high picks when they entered the draft, two short-armed guys (more about that later).

Gallery went number two overall, to Oakland, in 2004. He was a disappointment at left tackle, and eventually moved inside to guard, where he's been a good player. But not good enough to have merited the second pick in a draft, ahead of wideout Larry Fitzgerald andquarterbacks Philip Rivers and Roethlisberger, clear positions of need for the Raiders.

Bulaga had a sub-par season in 2009, missing three games due to a thyroid condition and not regaining top form until Iowa's bowl game. A couple of scouts told me they're not sure he's even a first-round talent after watching Michigan's Brandon Graham abuse him on tape last fall.

"They're pretty different in terms of profiles,'' their coach, Kirk Ferentz, the former NFL line coach, told me Friday. "Bryan's a third-year college player who didn't redshirt and came out early. He came here and started at left guard as a freshman; I've told lots of the scouts that in my years of coach, there're not many true freshmen who came in and played at a high level -- Mark Stepnoski and Bill Fralic at Pitt, and then Bryan would be in their class for how he played right away.

"Robert was a career tight end [in high school and his first year at Iowa] until we switched him to tackle midway through his second year here. He stayed five years. With Bryan, it's so hard to judge him if you look at last year's film, because he wasn't allowed to do any physical conditioning for the three weeks he was out, and when he came back, he obviously wasn't the same. Look at his '08 film. He dominated. And when he came back this year for our bowl game [against Georgia Tech], watch him when [first-round defensive end prospect] Derrick Morgan lined up against him. Bryan beat him.''

Ferentz won't say it, but those close to Gallery believe he was rushed into the full-time left tackle job at Oakland when he might have been better-served playing inside a year or two, then moved outside. Ferentz compares Bulaga to Jordan Gross, who has effectively split his career playing well on the left and right side at tackle for Carolina. At 6-foot-5, rock-solid and 316 pounds, Bulaga could start his career inside at guard, or at right tackle, then move to the left side when he get more comfortable with the speed of the pro game.

In the spy-versus-spy world of mock drafting, I've thought for a while that Bulaga was a natural to go to Kansas City at five. GM Scott Pioli is so close with Ferentz I thought at one point he might try to hire him as his head coach in Kansas City. But Ferentz told me he hasn't spoken with Pioli about Bulaga this offseason, and Pioli hasn't been to Iowa City since the fall. Hmmm. Another layer to consider about the landing spot of Bulaga. I think he'll be picked in the top 14; I doubt he'll get past Seattle's second pick of the first round.

A tackle that had a ****ty senior year, has short arms and a thyroid condition. Hey at least we'd be set with a mediocre guard getting paid a ton of money. I read one scout gave him a 3rd round grade. This guy reeks of Robert Gallery.

Ummmm, he left Iowa after 3 years so he never had a senior season.

;)

A tackle that had a ****ty senior year, has short arms and a thyroid condition. Hey at least we'd be set with a mediocre guard getting paid a ton of money. I read one scout gave him a 3rd round grade. This guy reeks of Robert Gallery.

I can't imagine what would happen in KC if they took him and he bombs like Gallery. I'm glad we at least have the option of deciding which LT of the draft we wanna take, provided that DET doesn't take one in the 1st

A tackle that had a ****ty senior year,

He's a junior, not a senior.

And he got off to a slow start because he wasn't allowed to work out for a month. When he rounded into form, he ate Derrick Morgan for lunch.

has short arms and a thyroid condition.

He doesn't have short arms. They measured out at 33 1/4. Trent Williams and Anthony Davis have 34 inch arms. He HAD a Thyroid condition and has been given a clean bill of health.

Hey at least we'd be set with a mediocre guard getting paid a ton of money. I read one scout gave him a 3rd round grade.

Probably someone from Seattle or Buffalo who is PRAYING Bulaga falls to them at 6 or 9. The last week before the draft is all about misinformation.

guy reeks of Robert Gallery.

And you reek of someone who hasn't spent much time analyzing the facts.

I don't see how this is a safe pick. Okung and trent williams dominated for 4 years in the Big 12. Bulaga was owned by Brandon Graham and the Iowa line gave up 29 sacks on the year. On top of that he has an obvious thyroid condition and a tendency to get beaten like a drum by speed rushers.

You're analysis, like your argument is flawed. Read the peter king MMQ.

I don't see how this is a safe pick.

You are in a very small minority here. He's considered the safest OL pick (highest floor) in the draft. If he doesn't work out at LT you KNOW the guy will work out somewhere else on the line. Even Robert Gallery has gone on to become a good guard. And BB is far safer than Trent Williams, who is lazy, has a "diva attitude" and questionable commitment to the game. Is that a guy you want to hand $35 mill to? We've already gambled (and lost IMO) money on Haynesworth and Hall. No need to add another name.

Okung and trent williams dominated for 4 years in the Big 12.

What's your point? Are you suggesting the Big 12 has produced better lineman than the Big 10 recently? You might want to double check that claim, son.

Williams was a right tackle until this year. He also wasn't even voted a team captain. That is a major red flag for a 4 year starter with his immense talent.

Bulaga was owned by Brandon Graham and the Iowa line gave up 29 sacks on the year.

Iowa had the best line in football. How else do you think they won so many games with average talent at the skill positions?

You're analysis, like your argument is flawed. Read the peter king MMQ.

I did read it. Ferentz was gushing about BB. What's wrong with drafting the next Jordan Gross? He's a terrific player.

You are wrong Son! Where are you getting your information?

Trent Williams. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1123699

Intangibles: Unselfish player who works hard on the field and in practice. Plays through minor injuries. Returned to school despite being a probable second-round pick in order to return to the BCS championship and complete his education.

Ferentz also gushed about his last elite tackle prospect (robert Gallery). I'm sorry you dont dump 35 million on a guy that might become an average guard in the NFL.

Iowa won games because they played in a ****ty confrence.

Let's talk about your #1 offensive line. They were 95th in rushing yards. And #36 in sacks allowed. Explain to me then how you determine they are the top rated unit in the land? They weren't even the best in their confrence.

There is no comparision when it comes to Big 12 vs. Big 10.

Hate to break it to you but you fell in love with some bad sources. CBSsports? Time to take the training wheels off and buck up on something a little more comprehensive. The negatives on Trent Williams are ALARMING:

OLT-OG-C TRENT WILLIAMS, #71 OKLAHOMA GRADE: 6.50 Ht: 6-4 5⁄8 | Wt: 315 | Sp: 4.88 | Arm: 34 1⁄4 | Hand: 9 3⁄4

Notes: As a true freshman in 2006, saw action in 11 games, starting the final seven at right tackle after Branndon Braxton broke his leg. Posted 75 knockdowns in 462 snaps. Split time with Braxton in ’07, starting six games at right tackle. Took ownership of the position in ’08 and earned first-team All-Big 12 honors (coaches) after starting all 14 games — the season opener at left tackle in place of the suspended Phil Loadholt and the final 13 at right tackle. Totaled 131 knockdowns, including 18 in the BCS title game against Florida. Sprained an ankle against TCU. Moved to left tackle in ’09 and started all 12 games played (injuries forced him to the cen- ter position in the Sun Bowl against Stanford). Did not play against Oklahoma State (concus- sion) and was slowed by hip and knee injuries.

Positives: Exceptional athletic ability and out- standing agility. Ran exceptionally well at the Combine and posted a 34 1⁄2-inch vertical (tops among offensive linemen). Quick-footed and loose-hipped to handle edge speed. Excellent lateral movement — shuffles, slides and mirrors with ease. Drops anchor in pass protection. Protects his frame, gets extension and locks out. Natural bender. Fires into blocks, rolls his hips and shows snap on contact. Has explosive power. Can control and steer defenders. Good body control and coordination to fit on moving targets. Finishes blocks — plays with a snarl. Is battle-tested and has played both sides of the line. Played hurt much of his senior season and battled through injuries.

Negatives: Does not have ideal height or arm length. Struggled adapting to the left side as a senior. Conditioning is a concern — does not like the weight room and appeared to carry a sloppy midsection. Can be slow off the snap and lax with back-side assignments. Needs to do a

better job sustaining blocks. Will dip his head and fall off blocks. Can be mentally overloaded against the blitz (see Sam Bradford injury vs. BYU). Suspect commitment to the game. Was not voted a team captain. Marches to the beat of his own drum and lacks passion for the game. Skates by relying too much on his natural athletic ability. Too flashy and easily distracted and has a diva attitude.

Summary: Has as much athletic talent as any O-lineman in the draft, but teams will have reservations about investing too heavily given his selfish makeup at a blue-collar position. Has the talent to play all five positions and is strong, physical and extremely athletic and capable of becoming a Pro Bowl-caliber performer in the pros. However, his lazy streak will likely prevent him from ever reaching his potential, and teams need to be fearful about how he will react to instant fame and fortune. A top-five talent whom most sound decision makers will wrestle with giving a top-15 payday. Has bust potential.

NFL projection: Top-10 pick.

Ferentz also gushed about his last elite tackle prospect (robert Gallery). I'm sorry you dont dump 35 million on a guy that might become an average guard in the NFL.

So what? All Olineman coming out of Iowa are now damned because of Gallery? Who is actually a decent player who just couldn't cut it at tackle? He could just as easily be a steady pro like Eric Steinbach.

Iowa won games because they played in a ****ty confrence.

That ****** conference won the Rose Bowl, again. Against a top 10 team - Oregon. Iowa knocked off another top 10 team. Penn State knocked off LSU. Wisconsin knocked off Miami and NWU should have knocked off Auburn.

Let's talk about your #1 offensive line. They were 95th in rushing yards. And #36 in sacks allowed. Explain to me then how you determine they are the top rated unit in the land? They weren't even the best in their confrence.

Offense is a team sport so to just look at yardage rankings is not indicative of how well they played. They NEVER get the Reggie Bushes or Calvin Johnsons or Adrian Petersons.

You couldn't name their starting QB last season if I put a gun to your head. The last time they had a QB drafted at all? The draft was 12 rounds! You couldn't name the last time they've had a WR drafted (here's a hint - it was 2002). Last RB taken before Greene? Ladell Betts in 2002. Iowa has had 1 skill position player drafted in the past 7 years. What's that tell you? How do they win 8 or 9 games every year? They controlled the line of scrimmage.

There is no comparision when it comes to Big 12 vs. Big 10.

I don't even necessarily think the Big 10 is that great. But to grade players based on what conference they play in is goofy. Check out the drafts of Indy and San Diego - 2 teams that are considered to be the best in the biz at drafting. And you'll see far more Big 10 players than Big 12.

http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/chargers.html

You are wrong Son! Where are you getting your information?

Trent Williams. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1123699

Intangibles: Unselfish player who works hard on the field and in practice. Plays through minor injuries. Returned to school despite being a probable second-round pick in order to return to the BCS championship and complete his education.

And here's what Mayock has to say...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d817a0733&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

You start looking at No. 5 and what might be sitting there. If you're looking at, for instance, left tackle, Trent Williams is a better athlete than Bryan Bulaga. Williams tests better than Bulaga, and has better upside. But I'm not sure the Chiefs would take him over Bulaga if he was still there.

Bulaga is an Iowa kid who's been well coached by Kirk Ferentz, and at this point he could play right tackle. He's going to be a solid pro, bottom line.

Williams could be an all-pro, but he also, because of questions about work ethic and consistency, could fall short of that.

It could be an interesting problem for Pioli.

I've wanted the guy at #4 for the Skins since January when he wasn't getting much buzz. Picks don't get any safer than this guy....

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/04/13/tight-ends-may-benefit-from-subpar-wrs

"With (Iowa OT Bryan) Bulaga, what you see is what you get. The more you watch him, the more he grows on you. He is like one of the old Redskins ('Hogs')."

We don't want or need a 'HOG'...we need someone that can move.

Archived