Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell is now firmly on the trading block

BillyKilmer

Matt Moore wasn't even drafted out of Oregon State. He was a UFA. In college, Campbell was a 1st rounder and he led Auburn to a 13-0 season in 2004.

All that is indicitive of is poor scouting by the Redskins. We gave up way too much for JC.

Romo sits to pee was also a UFA, and he has done better than JC.

I never understand why people think where a guy was drafted somehow translates into value after the guy has played in the NFL.

Don't think for one second that the Skins drafting him in round #1, and giving up future picks that another team is going to pay for the mistake.

If Bruce Allen gets a #1 pick in ANY draft for Campbell he should be the NFL executive of the year.

While I would like to see the club gain a middle round pick for him in 2010 to add an extra OL or DL, I am also open to the idea of trading Campbell for a PLAYER.

How about dealing Campbell for an OG with decent upside?

Same would go for a deal involving AH or Laron Landry or Andre Carter.

We have some players that are assets with value, and perhaps we can parlay these assets at other positions into better depth and competition on the OL.

Taking Okung or Williams in Round 1 and then supplementing with another pick at #4 and with the trade/trades above, the Skins could come out of April/May with 3 or 4 additional contributors on the OL in starting or backup spots.

I know people say the Redskins have 'no line' etc.

But the fact remains that I think Shanahan has Rabach, Dockery and Hicks penciled in as contributors already, so in his mind we DO in fact have some players up front.

Obviously not enough though to fill out a 9 man unit.

I wonder if it would be wiser for us to get a pick from the 2011 draft for JC instead.

I think we could get a 2nd or maybe even a 1st rounder for him out of that draft. Might not be a bad call.

I really dont see this possible. If we can get a 3rd this year or next year we will jump on it.

All that is indicitive of is poor scouting by the Redskins. We gave up way too much for JC.

Romo sits to pee was also a UFA, and he has done better than JC.

I never understand why people think where a guy was drafted somehow translates into value after the guy has played in the NFL.

Don't think for one second that the Skins drafting him in round #1, and giving up future picks that another team is going to pay for the mistake.

Did you know that McNabb only ranked 3 spots above Campbell in QB rating in 2009? Romo sits to pee ranked 7 spots above him.

McNabb better INSIST that the Skins draft the best Olineman with the #4 overall pick. He might blow out his knee again pretty quick. Then, you've got "Good Rex-Bad Rex" running the show. Ask the Bears fans about how that worked out. One game he plays good then next game he's stinking up the joint bad.

With how this organization has devalued him over the last two years they'd be lucky to get a 4th rounder for him at this point.

I think the Raiders are more than capable of giving us a 3rd rounder for him. He is a QB who can come in week one and not lose the game for them. That should be worth a 3rd rounder to them.

But I do have a fear that teams are just going to call our bluff and either offer us nothing higher than a 5th and wait til we release him

Matt Moore wasn't even drafted out of Oregon State. He was a UFA. In college, Campbell was a 1st rounder and he led Auburn to a 13-0 season in 2004.

What does this have to do with anything? All is does is prove that the Redskins vastly over paid for a QB that wasn't as good as an undrafted free agent. Where one is selected in the draft has no baring on how they will translate as a player in the pros. What a guy does in college means squat in the NFL. Otherwise, Brennan would, without a doubt, be our man. This comment is pure fail.

I think with Carolina's good Oline, their excellent backs, and receivers like Steve Smith he could really thrive there. He just has to beat out Matt Moore in training camp. It'll be a tough competition, but I think Campbell could do it. .
Steve Smith and Santana Moss are almost the same guy. IF JC starts in Carolina, he will be over-throwing a wide open Smith constantly, as he did here with Moss. The big difference is that Moss didn't break JC's jaw with a left hook for pissing him off; Smith will.
The Panthers would be stupid not to have an open competition at QB. Most NFL teams are doing the same thing these days. Plenty of teams stockpile starting caliber QBs and let them fight it out to win the job..
The only reason why JC was the starter here is because he has never had to win a QB competition. We bring in a guy who actually has a PROVEN track record (unlike Zorn) with QB's and offenses, and he can tell by just watching tape that JC isn't worth even putting in the competition mix. That speaks volumes above everything.
Matt Moore looked good at times last year, but Campbell has shown many times that he can get the job done. Campbell's stats were respectable last year. Being the #15 rated QB in the NFL behind one of the worst Olines in the NFL and basically no running game was pretty good. It shows he can make things happen despite adversity ... and all the other turmoil off the field with the coaches, Snyder, etc.
Give one example of one time in his entire NFL career when JC has shown he can get the job done. Just one. It has never happened. JC has never been able to take this team on his shoulders and lead them to a victory when given the opportunity in the waning minutes of a game. He is an epic failure. He hasn't shown anything at all other than how consistent he is as a choker.

And saying he handled things well, with dignity and class is laughable. It is amazing how many fans forget or just ignore JC and his agent demanding a trade if the team drafted Sanchez, how he has constantly blamed EVERYONE and EVERYTHING else but himself for his shortcomings, and for playing the race card. The guy is a disgrace!!!

Did you know that McNabb only ranked 3 spots above Campbell in QB rating in 2009? Romo sits to pee ranked 7 spots above him.

McNabb better INSIST that the Skins draft the best Olineman with the #4 overall pick. He might blow out his knee again pretty quick. Then, you've got "Good Rex-Bad Rex" running the show. Ask the Bears fans about how that worked out. One game he plays good then next game he's stinking up the joint bad.

Not sure what your trying to say?

Your post cited that JC was somehow worth more because he was a 1st rd pick, and Moore was a undrafted. Then you confirmed my theory by showing that Romo sits to pee ( another undrafted player) has better numbers than JC.

Well if my aunt had you know what, she'd be my uncle....

Give one example of one time in his entire NFL career when JC has shown he can get the job done. Just one. It has never happened. JC has never been able to take this team on his shoulders and lead them to a victory when given the opportunity in the waning minutes of a game. He is an epic failure. He hasn't shown anything at all other than how consistent he is as a choker.

Try not one but 7 times.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=CampJa00

Sage Rosenfels got traded for a 4th round pick. Charlie Whitehurst just got traded for a 20 pick swap in the second round and a future third despite having never thrown a pass in the NFL. Both the Chargers and Texans had arguably less trading leverage than we do with Campbell. All we have to do is hope a few teams fail to address their QB situations in the draft and then open up trade talk immediately after. I wouldn't be surprised if we could get as much as a 2011 second round pick plus change from some team looking for a solid starter.

We need to take our time with this. Campbell's value will probably be much higher after the draft.

I can see a team giving up two picks for him, but sort of the inverse of the McNabb trade. 4th this year and conditional pick up to second next year.

I agree, I think this is a very realistic scenario. Trade him to a team needing competition like Carolina, Arizona, or the 49ers. They all could afford to give up a 4th rounder for a very competent back-up that could start if needed.

Keep in mind SAGE ROSENEFELS netted a 4th rounder for the Texans.

If JC starts more than X amount of games, we also receive a 3rd rounder next year.

I LIKE IT! Make it happen, FO.

Your post cited that JC was somehow worth more because he was a 1st rd pick, and Moore was a undrafted. Then you confirmed my theory by showing that Romo sits to pee ( another undrafted player) has better numbers than JC.

My point was that it would be stupid for the Carolina Panthers to NOT have a big "QB competition" at their training camp this summer. Matt Moore is hardly a "proven QB" in the NFL.

Moore has had some good games, but so has Jason Campbell ... LOTS of them ... often behind a bad Oline where he's been running for his life every week. Jason might feel like he's in heaven behind the Panthers Oline with their backs and receivers like Steve Smith.

The Panthers should stockpile at least two starting caliber QBs like other NFL teams do and let them fight it out for the starting job. I'm sure Campbell isn't the least bit worried about competition.

BTW, Moore had the same qb rating as Romo sits to pee last year:D

Sage Rosenfels got traded for a 4th round pick. Charlie Whitehurst just got traded for a 20 pick swap in the second round and a future third despite having never thrown a pass in the NFL. Both the Chargers and Texans had arguably less trading leverage than we do with Campbell. All we have to do is hope a few teams fail to address their QB situations in the draft and then open up trade talk immediately after. I wouldn't be surprised if we could get as much as a 2011 second round pick plus change from some team looking for a solid starter.

We need to take our time with this. Campbell's value will probably be much higher after the draft.

Wow, agreed. I didn't read your post before I made mine above.

I think a 2011 2nd rounder would also be great value for us, and something that is semi-realistic. That way, we are clearly not going for a pure "win-now" philosophy. That 2nd next year could be our future starting RT or RG! :)

I'm excited...the let down is coming... :-P

I wonder if it would be wiser for us to get a pick from the 2011 draft for JC instead.

I think we could get a 2nd or maybe even a 1st rounder for him out of that draft. Might not be a bad call.

This is my thinking. For one, his value will be higher after the draft because teams will be more desperate if they didn't draft a guy who can start immediately since all their other avenues will be closed.

For another thing, the 2011 class looks incredibly strong. 2010 is by no means a bad class, but if we had more picks this year I would trade some of them for better picks next year.

Finally, I like the idea of using this year as an evaluatory period for Shanahan and Allen to get a sense of where our roster is at. We'll have a much clearer picture of what our needs are after we see how each of these holdovers perform in their new systems.

And don't count out something as simple as the impending changes to our scouting staff having a big effect on what we can do in the draft his year compared to future offseasons. Shanahan and Allen can't hire their own scouts until after the draft is over. So at the very least, there is going to be a level of unfamiliarity in the war room that might not be the case in future years. At the worst, Shanahan and Allen might just ignore the old scouts outright for differences in team-building philosophy. I don't expect this to happen because I think we've got some of the best scouts in the league in our college department. But I wouldn't be surprised if Shanahan and Allen aren't totally comfortable with the scouting staff at this point and don't have a smoothly operating relationship with them and the assistant coaches yet.

Moore had 5 starts last year. After his first 8 starts with Zorn, Campbell had a higher rating than Moore did this year.

Not saying Moore isn't going to be good, but you need more than 5 starts in 2 years to tell.

Also, getting an undrafted free agent who later turns out to be a starting QB isn't good scouting. It's luck. Just as the Patriots got lucky that although they passed on Brady several times, he was still there in the 6th round.

Archived