Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 Major League Baseball Thread

StillUnknown

Is anyone else shocked the Reds are leading the NL Central by 5 games?

I am. I honestly thought the Central was the Cards' after they swept the Reds a few weeks back. But since then the Card have looked horrible. And the Reds are supposed to be calling up Chapman who was throwing in the 100s during his last outing.

I am. I honestly thought the Central was the Cards' after they swept the Reds a few weeks back. But since then the Card have looked horrible. And the Reds are supposed to be calling up Chapman who was throwing in the 100s during his last outing.

They must have a couple more series head-to-head right? I think St. Louis still makes up the ground somehow, but that could be naive.

They must have a couple more series head-to-head right? I think St. Louis still makes up the ground somehow, but that could be naive.

I still think St. Louis will win the division, but I didn't think it would be this close. I was for sure once they swept the Reds that would run away with the division. The Cardinals definitely have the better pitching with Carpenter, Wainwright, and Garcia. The Reds might have a slightly better offense, but the Cards have more experience, It will definitely make for a good race down the stretch.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Report-Scout-clocks-Reds-pitching-prospect-Cha;_ylt=AppN1s4_3ZBnRW56WN5RbeI5nYcB?urn=mlb-265783

Hang onto your catcher's mitts, people. They reportedly clocked Cincinnati Reds prospect Aroldis Chapman(notes) at 105 mph Friday night.

No, not in a car, driving home from Louisville Slugger Ballpark. Chapman was pitching for the Triple-A Louisville Bats of the International League. And, Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse reports, the left-hander threw 105 mph.

One-oh-five.

Your first thought might be, "Yeah, right. Did he strike out the Loch Ness Monster on three pitches while he was at it?"

Price, who usually isn't given to hyperbole, tweeted the news.

Maybe the Chapman gun was a little hot. And yet, Price says a scout, along with the ballpark scoreboard — presumably using another radar device — had the same reading.

dude will be a nightmare matchup as a reliever

Sounds right

And I don't understand the Yankee hate even as a Baltimore follower

Yes, they are a division rival

BUT THEY BUY EVERYONE

EVEN THOUGH THE RED SOX CUBS AND OTHER MAJOR MARKET TEAMS ARE GUILTY OF THE SAME TRANSGRESSION

If Yankees were only ones buying players, I'd be bitter, but I'm not because other franchises spend 50 mil for the rights to sign a mediocre Japanese pitcher

BUT YANKEES ARE THE VILLAINS

EVIL

Sounds right

And I don't understand the Yankee hate even as a Baltimore follower

Yes, they are a division rival

BUT THEY BUY EVERYONE

EVEN THOUGH THE RED SOX CUBS AND OTHER MAJOR MARKET TEAMS ARE GUILTY OF THE SAME TRANSGRESSION

If Yankees were only ones buying players, I'd be bitter, but I'm not because other franchises spend 50 mil for the rights to sign a mediocre Japanese pitcher

BUT YANKEES ARE THE VILLAINS

EVIL

Yeah the Yankees are evil. And them "buying" everyone is different than the Red Sox or Cubs because those 2 teams actually have a limit they are willing to go. The Yankees payroll is $40MM more than the Red Sox and about $60MM more than the Cubs. That's a huge difference. Yes the Red Sox and Cubs spend money, but its nowhere near what the Yankees spend.

Yeah the Yankees are evil. And them "buying" everyone is different than the Red Sox or Cubs because those 2 teams actually have a limit they are willing to go. The Yankees payroll is $40MM more than the Red Sox and about $60MM more than the Cubs. That's a huge difference. Yes the Red Sox and Cubs spend money, but its nowhere near what the Yankees spend.

Yankees spent millions in 2003-2007 and didn't win title, so you can't just throw money at a team and have them win title, as Redskins fans we know this

On a related note

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings100826

Why? Because all of a sudden, over at deadspin.com, the most astounding top-secret team financial documents ever to sneak out of Bud Selig's vault were right there online for the world's perusal. And it would have been awfully helpful to be able look at those numbers and instantly know the difference between net operating income and, say, on-base percentage.

"I've never seen a baseball story with more numbers than words," quipped one baseball man after reading a piece about those documents. "It looked like the Pythagorean Theorem."

Well, does anybody want to guess what's happened since those Pythagorean documents -- for six different teams -- leaked out? Exactly what you'd think would happen: It's hard to say who's been screaming louder -- the fans or the politicians. Imagine that.

They were fuming in Pittsburgh, where the Pirates were revealed to have made $29.4 million in profits in 2007 and '08. And they were grumbling in Florida, after learning the Marlins took in $95.2 million in revenue sharing, central-fund and local radio-TV payouts in 2008 (before they sold a ticket) and turned a $29.46 million profit -- and had a $36.8 million payroll.

One of the major arguments against a cap is abuse by small market teams

People want it to take down Yankee, Red Sox, and Cub but it wouldn't help the small market teams level the playing field

And this article gets me thinking, everyone criticizes NYY for spending massively on payroll, so why doesn't your team try to spend too on payroll instead of hoarding cash like Pittsburgh

Edited by ixcuincle

Yankees spent millions in 2003-2007 and didn't win title, so you can't just throw money at a team and have them win title, as Redskins fans we know this

Right but at the same time, the Skins have to stay under the salary cap, so if we spend big money and it doesn't work out, it hurts us. If the Yankees spend big money and it doesn't work, they can move on quickly and still spend money.

I'm not sure what to think of the Rangers getting Francoeur. The dude pretty much was at his prime his rookie year, and has done pretty much jack squat since. The good thing about this trade is that we got rid of that scrub Arias. But Francoeur pretty much sucks.

I guess this at least means that I can start wearing the Francoeur shirt I got back in 2005 again...

I'm not sure what to think of the Rangers getting Francoeur. The dude pretty much was at his prime his rookie year, and has done pretty much jack squat since. The good thing about this trade is that we got rid of that scrub Arias. But Francoeur pretty much sucks.

I guess this at least means that I can start wearing the Francoeur shirt I got back in 2005 again...

Well, he is still relatively young. Plus he's a helluva RF. Who knows, all he might need is the right hitting instructor. One that will continue to stress patience at the plate. He's still very capable of repeating that year he hit 29 HR and right at 100 RBI..I think he also hit .293 that year or something.

Plus that is a hitter's ballpark. You have to remember, he's been hitting in two parks that are considered pitcher's parks, so far in his career. All I know is now it will be alot easier to root for the guy, with him not playing for the Mets and whatnot. I wish him well.

Well, he is still relatively young. Plus he's a helluva RF. Who knows, all he might need is the right hitting instructor. One that will continue to stress patience at the plate. He's still very capable of repeating that year he hit 29 HR and right at 100 RBI..I think he also hit .293 that year or something.

Plus that is a hitter's ballpark. You have to remember, he's been hitting in two parks that are considered pitcher's parks, so far in his career. All I know is now it will be alot easier to root for the guy, with him not playing for the Mets and whatnot. I wish him well.

All I know is that there is no way he ever sees the field (regularly) with this team if we have a completely healthy lineup. And that is even with any defensive skills he might have. I will take Nelson Cruz in RF 100 times out of 100 over Frenchy. He is coming in pretty much as our 5th outfielder.

Our best OF would consist of Hamilton in LF, Borbon in CF because he has terrific range, and Cruz in RF. All three are terrific defensive outfielders.

Edited by royallypwned

All I know is that there is no way he ever sees the field (regularly) with this team if we have a completely healthy lineup. And that is even with any defensive skills he might have. I will take Nelson Cruz in RF 100 times out of 100 over Frenchy. He is coming in pretty much as our 5th outfielder.

Our best OF would consist of Hamilton in LF, Borbon in CF because he has terrific range, and Cruz in RF. All three are terrific defensive outfielders.

While I haven't watched much of Borbon or Cruz, I can almost bet you anything that none of those 3 are as good, defensively, as Francoeur. The guy has an absolute rocket. Not too many guys even try to go first to third on this guy. But yeah, if he doesn't hit, he's not likely to see much time. Especially with Cruz coming back.

While I haven't watched much of Borbon or Cruz, I can almost bet you anything that none of those 3 are as good, defensively, as Francoeur. The guy has an absolute rocket. Not too many guys even try to go first to third on this guy. But yeah, if he doesn't hit, he's not likely to see much time. Especially with Cruz coming back.

I know Francoeur has a great arm, since I have seen it many times while he was with the Braves. But I can tell you that each one of those guys, especially Hamilton, has better range. And Hamilton has a great arm as well. His defense is what will put Hamilton over the top WHEN he wins AL MVP this season, not if. Idk how much you see of Hamilton, but if you want to see a little of what he can do, then go here...

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2010_08_13_bosmlb_texmlb_1&mode=wrap

and check out all of his highlights just from that one game. Obviously focusing on the defensive plays since that is what we are discussing. Four hits, two great catches in center field, and scoring from 2nd on an infield hit. The only outfielder I would put Francoeur in over is David Murphy. That's not to say he is bad defensively, but I'll take Francouer's arm. Unfortunately I'd take Murphy's bat, but you can't have both.

Edited by royallypwned

And Hamilton has a great arm as well. His defense is what will put Hamilton over the top WHEN he wins AL MVP this season, not if. Idk how much you see of Hamilton, but if you want to see a little of what he can do, then go here...

Miguel Cabrera could win it too. He's has a higher OBP, Slg, OPS, WAR, more doubles, and HR (In a cavernous park while Arlington is a bandbox). Hamilton is better with the glove for sure and his average is higher.

Both have really nice warm, redemptive stories, too.