Extremeskins

NFL.com: Ramsey-Coles could be next dynamic duo

Thinking Skins

Ramsey-Coles could be next dynamic duo

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6561964

By Vic Carucci

National Editor, NFL.com

Carucci: Spurrier learns lessons of humility

ASHBURN, Va. (Aug. 12, 2003) -- Quarterback-receiver relationships don't get a whole lot better than what Chad Pennington and Laveranues Coles had going with the New York Jets last season.

It was a thing of beauty, a steadily evolving game of pitch and catch that opposing defenses seemingly couldn't stop. It routinely produced big plays. It helped carry the Jets into the playoffs. It did plenty to elevate Pennington and Coles to the upper echelon of their respective positions.

It was the sort of tandem that figured to have a long and prosperous life … until the offseason, when Coles signed a lucrative free-agent contract with the Washington Redskins.

Now Patrick Ramsey, the Redskins' quarterback, finds himself dreaming about picking up where Pennington left off.

"I would certainly hope so because of (Coles') ability to make the big play," he said between practices at the Redskins' training camp.

Coles is equally hopeful, but he adds a dose of reality to the picture: He and Pennington didn't develop that relationship in a single year. They began working together in practice as backups in 2000 and established a chemistry that was well in place by the time Pennington replaced Vinny Testaverde as the Jets' starter last season and Coles became his favorite target.

"It's going to take time for that to happen here," Coles said. "I don't think it's just going to happen in one year. It's going to take timing and just us working together and being able to make that eye contact and for him to understand what I'm looking for and for me to understand what he's looking for. But we're working at it, and that's what's important."

While Pennington took control of the Jets' offense in his third NFL season, Ramsey was thrust into the lineup as a rookie last year. The first-round pick from Tulane started five games, throwing nine touchdowns and eight interceptions. His completion percentage of 51.8 left plenty of room for improvement, but coach Steve Spurrier saw enough ability at the end of the year to make Ramsey, 24, his starter for this season.

It is a heavy load to place on someone so young and so raw. However, Ramsey believes after an offseason of intensive study and practice -- along with all he has absorbed through camp -- he is ready to man the controls of Spurrier's big-play offense and will have the right answers to the many complex problems opposing defenses will pose.

"I truly feel that I can make all the throws that are necessary," he said. "I just don't feel there is going to be anything that can be thrown at me that I can't handle."

Ramsey didn't need to watch videotape of the magic Pennington and Coles created to appreciate the sort of great talent he had at his disposal. He simply needed to see Coles show off his blazing speed and tremendous work ethic one time in practice.

"When you see Laveranues step on the field and you see how fast he goes and how hard he works and how much pride he takes in it, you say, 'I've got to get right with this guy, because this guy's going somewhere,' " Ramsey said.

Ramsey figured that out well before the Redskins' Aug. 9 preseason opener against the Carolina Panthers. Although the Redskins' offense struggled in a 20-0 loss, there was one notable highlight: A 48-yard pass from Ramsey to Coles. That was precisely the kind of play the Redskins had in mind when they shelled out a reported $13 million signing bonus and gave up a first-round draft pick to acquire Coles.

The route was a "Cover Two Post," in which Coles simply looks to split the middle of the Panthers' zone coverage and Ramsey zips the ball to him. No one was near Coles as he hauled in the throw, and had he not stumbled slightly after the catch, he probably would have gone the distance.

Ramsey has other receivers, of course. He has big, powerful Rod Gardner and a couple of burners in Taylor Jacobs and Cliff Russell. He realizes he can't constantly look in Coles' direction, that he must be aware of other options that might be available.

"Our job is to survey the field and figure out who is open," Ramsey said, admitting he was uttering a standard quarterbacking line.

Then he smiled.

"Now, would I love to hit Laveranues down the middle every game like I did last week?" Ramsey said. "I'd love to. But if it doesn't work, then I've got to go to Rod, I've got to go to Taylor. I've got to go to the back underneath and hope that he can make a big play. But if Laveranues is getting open and they think they have the nerve to think they can cover him (with) single coverage, then I'd love to take my chances with Laveranues."

By all accounts, the Redskins have acquired Coles at the right time. His career has been on a steady climb since the joined the Jets as a third-round draft pick from Florida State. As a rookie, he caught 22 passes for 370 yards. In his second year, he caught 59 passes for 868 yards. Then, in 2002, his reception total soared to 89 for 1,264 yards. In three seasons, he has 13 touchdowns, 12 in the past two years.

Coles' game isn't only about great speed and athleticism. It is about the quickness with which he has grasped Spurrier's vertical, attack-oriented passing scheme, which is different from the more horizontal "West Coast" offense the Jets use. It is also about the attitude that pushes him to be better than everyone else around him, regardless of the activity. One night earlier in camp, Ramsey happened to watch Coles playing a video game against a couple of his teammates.

"He was talking to himself," Ramsey said. "He was saying, 'Be the winner that you are, LC!' That's what you want to hear from a guy. I like that about him."

Ramsey calls Coles "totally fearless" and sees physical gifts that allow him to be much craftier than a receiver typically is at such an early stage of his career.

"He can set guys up so well," the quarterback said. "When he gets out of his break, he can get back up to full speed like nothing I've ever seen.

"And the one thing I wasn't aware of was the strength of his hands. I throw the ball with a lot of velocity and I've thrown some errant balls that hit his hands while a defender has his hand in between his arms, right on the ball. But when (Coles') hands hit it, it's not going anywhere. I knew he had good hands, but they're better than I expected."

Coles was aware of Ramsey's strong arm before joining the Redskins. He didn't realize just how strong it was until he began catching his passes.

"A lot of throws that you don't think he can make, he can make," Coles said. "You think you've outrun his arm, and you haven't. That's the plus about having Pat back there, because he can make plays at any time because of his arm strength.

"Also, he's maturing every day. You can tell that on the field by watching how he's learning the offense and just picking up the little nuances of the game. That's what makes him a very special player."

In time, Coles and Ramsey could become a very special duo.

I agree Buford. I do however think that LC brings a work ethic that will help RG reach the next level. With LC getting all the attention RG is the forgotten man, which is in some ways good, because he will be facing probably #2 corners or defensive packages played to defense against LC not himself.

I do however think that LC brings a great attitude to this team....that his impact can be greater than just catching passes but also helping to set up teamates to make plays that help us win games.

Originally posted by Bufford T Justice

I think Rod Gardner deserves alittle love here. I think he's going to have a bigger year than Coles. Him and Ramsey already have played together.

yeah, I kinda feel sorry for Rod. Its kinda like he's the forgotten stepchild, while Coles is getting all the parents attention.

Even though that 48 yard pass, mentioned in the article, was a little underthrown, it still was a good pass. (I think it took LC a little by surprise.) I was very impressed by the zip that Ramsey delivered on the pass, inspite of its length. It was on a rope--a think of beauty. It was one of the few plays that made me excited during that game.

RG has been a bit forgotten, but that's a GOOD thing, especially if the CB's on the opposing team forget about Gardner in their efforts to cover LC. :-)

Great stuff!

Originally posted by blakman211

yeah, I kinda feel sorry for Rod. Its kinda like he's the forgotten stepchild, while Coles is getting all the parents attention.

You won't be feeling sorry for him after he racks up 1,200 yards and 10 touchdowns this year:cheers:

How incredible would it be for those two to post the kind of numbers that Clark and Monk did back in the day?

Then you have a whole group of guys who are capable of becoming the Ricky Sanders type. Whether it be Jacobs, Russell, McCants, or Cloman (he's my favorite) we will have 3 dangerous receivers in there a lot of the time.

Originally posted by bleedblue

If everyone is covering Coles than Gardner will get tons of Reciving Yards and Receptions.

So tell us your thoughts on us getting Coles after having faced him twice a year the past few years. Are we getting what we are paying for?

I liked the part where they broke down the deep play to LC. I wonder whether or not Ramsey changed the play at the line after seeing the D in a cover 2 or something. There has been a lot of talk here lately about the aubibles but I don't remember if he checked off before the play...

Archived