Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Video Game Fix - What Game to Buy?

Riggins77

Demon Souls was/is the best game I played in the past 5 years.

It was even better than Fallout 3 and the first Uncharted for me.

That said, don't expect to hack away and survive. The best thing you can do is play defense in that game.

It's definitely not a hack-and-slash. The game is very unforgiving but never feels cheap (Ninja Gaiden, DMC). Well...almost never. The swamp at the bottom of the Valley of Defilement is infuriating.

The online experience is unique and very well done. I haven't felt this excited over PVP when being invaded by a black phantom since my days of AC: Darktide and Ultima Online.

It's definitely not a hack-and-slash. The game is very unforgiving but never feels cheap (Ninja Gaiden, DMC). Well...almost never. The swamp at the bottom of the Valley of Defilement is infuriating.

The online experience is unique and very well done. I haven't felt this excited over PVP when being invaded by a black phantom since my days of AC: Darktide and Ultima Online.

I had no idea that some phantoms were actually good until I read a faq online about the game.

:silly:

It looks like the game came out October 2009, so has the player population died down since its been 5 months? I would hate to purchase it only to never get to PvP. Also, what is the PvP like? Is the game similar to Diablo? How many players can PvP at once?

It looks like the game came out October 2009, so has the player population died down since its been 5 months? I would hate to purchase it only to never get to PvP. Also, what is the PvP like? Is the game similar to Diablo? How many players can PvP at once?

The game has a large following even though it's kind of a niche title but the multiplayer system is very unique. This is a bit long for a review but it is well worth the read:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/103/1033437p1.html

Battlefield Bad Company 2 looks good, but I havent had a chance to play it yet.

I'm actually really interested in Just Cause 2. It looks like a GTA style sandbox game where you shoot things and steal cars, tanks, helis, etc, and blow stuff up. The trailers look great and the reviews have been good so far.

They have a free demo on XBoxLive that I plan on downloading tomorrow.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 looks good, but I havent had a chance to play it yet.

I'm actually really interested in Just Cause 2. It looks like a GTA style sandbox game where you shoot things and steal cars, tanks, helis, etc, and blow stuff up. The trailers look great and the reviews have been good so far.

They have a free demo on XBoxLive that I plan on downloading tomorrow.

I really think Just Cause 2 will be my next purchase. You're right, the trailers look ridiculous.

I've really gotten into GTA IV and Episodes from Liberty City lately. GTA IV was tremendous. EfLC lackd depth, but was still pretty cool.

I wish they would bring back the ability to purchase properties though, like in, IIRC, Vice City. That was a cool feature that's gone.

Any Demon's Soul players know if the servers are shutting down after April?

Dug around a bit... looks like that rumor started based off of the Asian EULA saying that the servers were only guaranteed to remain up through April, presumably in the event that the game didn't sell well. It's the developers best selling game of all time, though, so the odds of them taking down the servers are slim.

I'd definitely check it out, it is an absolutely awesome game if you're patient and up for a challenge. Even if you're not the type to play the game through multiple times it'll still take quite some time to work through and is well worth the money, IMO. The multiplayer aspect of it is pretty unique... in a lot of ways it feels like a single player game through and through even with some of the co-op and pvp elements (e.g., no chat system, it's all gesture based) but everything is tied in to other players in one way or another (see: world tendency).

Dug around a bit... looks like that rumor started based off of the Asian EULA saying that the servers were only guaranteed to remain up through April, presumably in the event that the game didn't sell well. It's the developers best selling game of all time, though, so the odds of them taking down the servers are slim.

I'd definitely check it out, it is an absolutely awesome game if you're patient and up for a challenge. Even if you're not the type to play the game through multiple times it'll still take quite some time to work through and is well worth the money, IMO. The multiplayer aspect of it is pretty unique... in a lot of ways it feels like a single player game through and through even with some of the co-op and pvp elements (e.g., no chat system, it's all gesture based) but everything is tied in to other players in one way or another (see: world tendency).

Coool, thanks for the clarification. I think I'm gonna pick it up today and give it a shot.

I was on Gamespot a few days ago and saw the good reviews on Just Cause 2. Went ahead and downloaded a free demo on the PS3. Pretty damn good, but it takes a bit to figure out all the controls. Reminds me of GTA/Assassin's Creed/inFamous all rolled into one. Worth at least checking out

New Super Mario for Wii is awesome, too. And although it's been out for a while Paper Mario is pretty addictive, too.

New Super Mario Bros Wii is definitely awesome. No online-multiplayer, but you'll have a blast, especially if you have friends to play with.

I got New Super Mario Bros for Christmas and it is awesome :D

I picked up Demon's Souls tonight and all I can say is ****ing WOW! I'm still trying to figure it out, but I got to the Vanguard boss in the tutorial and got waxed in two hits :ols:. I'm still trying to figure out this whole Im a spirit, need souls stuff. Fantastic game though. I rolled a thief, but does anyone know which class is the best for single player/co-op/PvP?

I picked up Demon's Souls tonight and all I can say is ****ing WOW! I'm still trying to figure it out, but I got to the Vanguard boss in the tutorial and got waxed in two hits :ols:. I'm still trying to figure out this whole Im a spirit, need souls stuff. Fantastic game though. I rolled a thief, but does anyone know which class is the best for single player/co-op/PvP?

Class only really determines your beginning stat set. As you level you can pretty much become whatever you want and equip whatever you want given the necessary stats to wield/use it. I started as a knight but by the end of my first playthrough I was pretty versatile, running around in light-ish armor with utterly massive weapons and some extremely potent spells. This was probably my favorite thing to haul out and throw around one-handed:

mhyi6e.jpg

But I went with this guy's armor:

1064049-old_king_doran_large.jpg

Class only really determines your beginning stat set. As you level you can pretty much become whatever you want and equip whatever you want given the necessary stats to wield/use it. I started as a knight but by the end of my first playthrough I was pretty versatile, running around in light-ish armor with utterly massive weapons and some extremely potent spells. This was probably my favorite thing to haul out and throw around one-handed:

But I went with this guy's armor:

1064049-old_king_doran_large.jpg

I started as a Temple Knight so I could start with decent armor and the halberd. I'm trying to build him as a Faith knight with blessed weapons but farming stones is a pain in the ass.

I haven't killed King Doran yet to get his armor but I do have his sword (Demonbrand). I'm still wearing Yurt's Gloom armor.

If you find the game too difficult early on you should try rolling a melee based character......either Knight, Temple Knight or Royal. You can always gear them towards magery or agility later on but the ability to wear heavy armor early on will make a huge difference.

Lots of great info here:

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/home

Character builds:

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds

Stat planner:

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/planner

• 1 year later...
Any new games out there worth playing?

You mentioned racing games in your original post, Gran Turismo 5 is hard to beat. Very realistic, incredible physics, tons of cars, tons of tracks, race up to 16 people at once online. I can't get enough of racing online at the Nurburgring. It's a must have for anyone who plays video games and likes cars.

Archived