Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC News: Hobbyist Shoots Earth from edge of space for $750

USS Redskins

Saw this on ABC the other night and thought it was a cool story.

This English inventor bought a used digital camera on Ebay, a weather balloon and literally duct taped it all together and releases the contraption into the sky... It snaps pictures until the balloon reaches about 20 miles high and pops... a parachute spares the camera destruction and it falls back to Earth.

He uses a GPS tracking device to find it - usually ending up in a farmers field.

The pictures were pretty awesome.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/balloon-camera-duct-tape-shoot-earth-pictures-space/story?id=10210658

How is it possible that it falls back to earth and lands in the English countryside where it was launched?

I saw the thing on TV about this. Apparently the device had a parachute that deployed after the balloon popped and it also had a locator on it so that it could be found again.

I saw the thing on TV about this. Apparently the device had a parachute that deployed after the balloon popped and it also had a locator on it so that it could be found again.

I think zoony's asking how this thing could go that high up into the atmosphere, fall all the way back to earth with a parachute, and somehow land in the same tiny country that it took off from.

And I'm with him, that's an amazing feat to accomplish.

How is it possible that it falls back to earth and lands in the English countryside where it was launched?

Duh ... you use a handy Balloon Trajectory Forecast website.

http://weather.uwyo.edu/polar/balloon_traj.html

Depending on how much gas you put in the balloon and payload weight you'll get different rates of ascent - the trip back down is faster. :) Allowing for ascent and descent time and "only" going up 20 miles, it may only be airborne for four - five hours so unless there are very strong winds (avoiding the jet stream would be a good idea) with a little planning you should be able to keep it out of the water.

Duh ... you use a handy Balloon Trajectory Forecast website.

http://weather.uwyo.edu/polar/balloon_traj.html

Depending on how much gas you put in the balloon and payload weight you'll get different rates of ascent - the trip back down is faster. :) Allowing for ascent and descent time and "only" going up 20 miles, it may only be airborne for four - five hours so unless there are very strong winds (avoiding the jet stream would be a good idea) with a little planning you should be able to keep it out of the water.

Wow- cool. Thanks

all fun and games up until the point that parachute fails and his camera lands on someones Lexus. :)

Yah why do I get the feeling that there is a guy named Cletus rigging up a contraption right now with a camera, duct tape, and $5000 worth of bottle rockets? :doh:

Archived