Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Shanahan's Son Also Rises

E-Dog Night

Good read on Kyle Shanahan.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/27/AR2010032702288.html

Redskins' Kyle Shanahan has grown out of his father's shadow

By Rick Maese

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Since he stood just a few footballs high, the name that stretched across the back of Kyle Shanahan's jersey has carried considerable weight. His father, Mike Shanahan, was the popular coach of the Denver Broncos, which focused as much attention on Kyle as anything he accomplished with his athletic ability.

"I've had it my whole life," he says. "If I was the starting quarterback on my Pop Warner team, I was told it was because of my dad."

It's difficult to outgrow expectations sometimes. Years removed from the youth fields around Denver, Kyle learned even more about pressure to perform when he followed his father into the NFL's coaching ranks.

"I think any time a coach's kid gets in the profession, he's always going to be scrutinized a little tougher. It goes with the job," Mike Shanahan said. "Is he a worker? Does he know what he's talking about? Did he get the job just because he has a so-called name with the head coach?"

Kyle, 30, answered many of those questions last season, when he directed the NFL's top-ranked passing attack last season in Houston. But he knows that this fall in Washington, in his first season coaching under his father, he'll have a whole new set of skeptics to convert.

"I've always had a chip on my shoulder with that," Kyle says of his famous last name. "I would never act like it's been a hindrance. It's gotten me in a lot of doors."

With Mike Shanahan working long hours -- first as an assistant coach in Denver, Los Angeles and San Francisco and then as a head coach with the Broncos -- quality father-son time often came at the office.

When a teenage Kyle was a fledging player, he lifted weights at the Broncos' facility after school, he drew up plays, he ran routes with Broncos receivers.

Clink Link for rest of article

You gotta like a guy who realizes what opportunities his name gave him, but then took advantage of all those opportunities.

Football is a young man's game now, especially in coaching, and having a young sharp mind is going to pay some serious dividends on offense.

We may actually see our O staff outcoach another D staff. When was the last time we truly saw that happen?

How can you not get excited for the future of this team? We seriously have arguably the best young offensive mind in football on our staff . . . and hopefully we can keep him around for years.

Exactly! My greatest concern is that Mike is so happy to continue coaching that Kyle leaves for another team and his own opportunity to be the HC. Hopefully working with his father, and a bunch of big raises from Snyder, is enough to keep Kyle around until Mike wants to hand the reigns over to his son. And then hopefully Kyle has similar success and can stay around as HC for 20+ years. :D

a buddy sent me a couple of game rips from last season of the houston texans. He told me that texan fans were really pissed that kyle left, His offenses never looked the same game to game, he always liked to switch it up so other coordinators didn't get a read on what he is doing.

I'm excited just because the redskins might look like a decent team for once. If you guys have a chance take a look at the texans playing the Colts Nov. 29 and the Cards on Oct. 11 from last season. I know they lost both of them but just look at how they played. I like how kyle changes his offenses depending on the opponent. Most Head coaches stick to there game plans but I like how Kyle wasn't scared of going head to head with those two teams.

Though father and son will work together closely on game plans, Kyle will call the offensive plays, and the Redskins' offense could be more of a hybrid of what Mike Shanahan ran in Denver and what Kyle used in Houston.

Now that is something I'd be interested in seeing.

I'm not going to kid myself and say that the Skins will be in the playoffs this year. However, with the GM and coaching staff now in place, I feel confident that the Skins will finally right this ship and build a consistent winning team for a number of years. I haven't felt that way since I first heard that Gibbs was coming back out of retirement. Somehow this does feel different though...

I'm excited just because the redskins might look like a decent team for once. If you guys have a chance take a look at the texans playing the Colts Nov. 29 and the Cards on Oct. 11 from last season. I know they lost both of them but just look at how they played. I like how kyle changes his offenses depending on the opponent. Most Head coaches stick to there game plans but I like how Kyle wasn't scared of going head to head with those two teams.

What a blessing for all of our current and future QBs.

It's time to bring the offensive firepower and to punish opposing defenses for a change. I also look forward to the unpredictable play calling, keeps the defenses honest and the fans in their seats.

You guys are getting way ahead of yourselves. Assuming continued success as a coordinator in DC, Kyle will be offered a head coaching position well before his father is ready to retire. He's not going to be the next Redskins head coach.

Ahead, heck, we still need to start. All those accolades won by our coaches didn't win them any SB's recently.

First, they have to obtain the talent, then they can coach the new talent. That was Shanny's biggest problem, and our own Gibbs II's biggest problem, bringing in the talent to win football games and go to the playoffs and win in the playoffs.

That said, nice to see we are finally going to have some game plans that work and play calls that the defense won't be able to predict.

You guys are getting way ahead of yourselves. Assuming continued success as a coordinator in DC, Kyle will be offered a head coaching position well before his father is ready to retire. He's not going to be the next Redskins head coach.

That's in the back of my head, but he'll be 35 when his father retires. A head coach any younger is going to be difficult to imagine.

Also, he will have installed everything that has to do with the Redskins offense by the time his dad is gone. Why not take over? It's not like he doesn't already have his fingerprints all over the team.

Archived