Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Newsweek: Conservatives’ Five Favorite Democrats

SteveFromYellowstone

http://www.newsweek.com/id/235468

With health-care reform passed on party lines and financial-regulation reform looking like it might go the same way, there is little love lost between conservatives and liberals in Washington. Still, a few Democrats have won praise—or at least grudging respect—from the right despite the contentious atmosphere. They earn the plaudits of the other side for their aisle-crossing ways, fiscal conservatism, and, sometimes, plain old style. Here are five Democrats even a conservative can love. Some of the names may surprise you.

1. Jim Webb

2. Rahm Emmanuel

3. Barney Frank

4. Russ Feingold

5. Brad Henry

Thoughts?

With health-care reform passed on party lines and financial-regulation reform looking like it might go the same way, there is little love lost between conservatives and liberals in Washington. Still, a few Democrats have won praise—or at least grudging respect—from the right despite the contentious atmosphere. They earn the plaudits of the other side for their aisle-crossing ways, fiscal conservatism, and, sometimes, plain old style. Here are five Democrats even a conservative can love. Some of the names may surprise you.

1. Jim Webb

2. Rahm Emmanuel

3. Barney Frank

4. Russ Feingold

5. Brad Henry

Thoughts?

agree on Webb. Barney and Rahm, not so much.

agree on Webb. Barney and Rahm, not so much.

The popular conservative perception of Barney Frank has little to do with the reality. He is one of the most intellegent and respected people in Congress. The only people in congress who dislike him are the embarassing wingnuts.

The popular conservative perception of Barney Frank has little to do with the reality. He is one of the most intellegent and respected people in Congress. The only people in congress who dislike him are the embarassing wingnuts.

Barney Frank helped cause the mess were in now with Dodd/Clinton and Bush.

wingnuts :) whatever.

Lieberman should be in there.

Salazar

Baca

Webb

Feingold

I though Kucinich would have won where Kerry failed in picking up Ohio... but he gets a bit out there.

For me, it's:

1) Durbin (largely based on his immigration work/amendments)

2) Lieberman (no explanation required)

3) Clinton (didn't appreciate him until he was gone)

4) Webb (another no explanation required)

5) Joe Manchin (current gov of wv, hasn't screwed anything up)

I should find a home for Feingold. If anything, replace #4. :)

I've started watching on-goings of the HFSC. I'm pretty impressed with him as well.

How about Kent Conrad?

I'll add Senator Kaufman as well... especially for his take on the Too Big too Fail Banks recently. I hope some Senators can fight Dodd on his legislation. First of all, there is no Volker rule that limits the size of the banks. Secondly, the resolution authority won't be able to handle cross-border financial institutions (okay, I'm starting to sound like Simon Johnson, but I agree with him). Thirdly, well anyone who is a friend of Goldman's lobbyist and gives him as much respect as Dodd did during the banking hearing has gotta be in the tank for them.

We have a freshman Rep from the southern district of NM that may soon make that list. Drop out roustabout in the awl fields of SE NM that made good - Harry Teague. He kinda pulled a localized Stupak where the right obviously won't vote but respect him for his "clear thinking" and his no vote on health care and he has really pissed the left off since we voted for him on Obama's coat tails. He's for sure not of Barney caliber as far as power or shrewdness but he's right of most blue dogs.

1. Jim Webb

2. Rahm Emmanuel

3. Barney Frank

4. Russ Feingold

5. Brad Henry

Thoughts?

Feingold I might understand. WHy would anyone respect that little ingrate Barney Frank? I still think that guy should be prosecuted for sitting on his butt all of 2007 and 2008 doing nothing about fannie and freddie.

Frank is a wingnut... Have you listened to any of his interviews on healthcare?

He is also an embarassing one...

Archived