Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Close this thread! Pointless

kiingspadee

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Oh damn I didn't know he was 33 years old. I mean damn 26 or 23 whatever sacks in the past 2 seasons I mean at 31 he was still getting more than 10 sacks a year. And damn we should get rid of Fletcher with his old ass and Ravens how dumb are they keeping Ray Lewis

That's completely different and you know it. Fletcher and Lewis play different positions, and Lewis plays behind a very very good d-line.

He's still a pretty good player, but he's not the all around impact player that he used to be. Steelers didn't view him as a crucial player. The Dolphins aren't keeping him around after such recent "success". He's definitely on the decline. He had a career low in total tackles in 2008 (despite almost doubling his best sack number), and then he topped that by doing a new career low in tackles in 2009. At 41.

Now he's still a good pass rusher. But he'll be playing in the same spot as Orakpo. If we want him, at 33 years old, to be in the position that he's played his entire career at (besides 2007 in Miami), then that means he starts over Orakpo. This does not make sense.

Having him, while he's on the decline, switch sides and play on the strong side...just reeks of Jason Taylor where we tried to move him to the other side. It's not easy doing this, you have to retrain and rebuild your muscles, your go to pass rushing moves become very different.

An analogy is like saying that your right handed and you're suddenly asked to be left handed. Everything is a mirror image of what he had to do. Instead of doing rip and swim moves one way, and building up muscle to excel doing it that way, if you suddenly have to do it with your opposite arm...it becomes much harder.

At 33 years old, I don't see Porter being able to make the transition. It only makes sense if Porter goes back to his normal position...but then what do you do with Orakpo.

Bottom line is we need a strong side LB. If Porter is it for a year, then so be it. I just hope it's for vet minimum.

Porter has never played 3-4 strong side OLB in his career. It's always been weakside. In 2007 he played OLB in a 4-3...and severely disappointed. In 2008 and 2009, he went back to weak side OLB in the 3-4.

Orakpo will play the weak side OLB in the 3-4 for us. I just don't see how Porter fits.

Yes but he is also strictly a pass rusher at this point in his career. If we want an OLB that can get after the QB and nothing else he is already on our roster and his name is Andre Carter. If we want a complete 3-4 OLB that is going to mentor younger players Joey Porter is the exact opposite. Does anyone honestly think he is going to help teach a younger player that will soon be taking his job? Some guys have the character to do that, Porter does not.

Exactly.

Pros

4 time pro-bowler

Haslett has coached him before

Familiarity with the 3-4

Voted 2nd Dirtiest player in the league last year

Cons

History of Attitude Issues

Will be 33 years old

Unknown whether he can still play at a high level

Miami didn't want him, despite 23 sacks over 2 years with them

Voted 2nd Dirtiest player in the league last year

100% on board with this. All things considered, he'll also be our only 3-4 OLB that's actually an 3-4 OLB. He can cover if we ask him to. The sacks, the heart, the understanding of the system are all pluses. It wouldn't shock me if he figured out how to think about what he says before he says it now, with all the releases he's had lately. This is a great move.

Porter has never played 3-4 strong side OLB in his career. It's always been weakside. In 2007 he played OLB in a 4-3...and severely disappointed. In 2008 and 2009, he went back to weak side OLB in the 3-4.

Orakpo will play the weak side OLB in the 3-4 for us. I just don't see how Porter fits.

Nice insight, thanks!

With what you said and someone else mentioning he's only had three 10+ sacks in his career with 2008 skewing the data, i'm not as excited.

He may be a solid addition to the rotation but my exceptions of him in our system have dropped drastically.

Heck we added Larry Johnson on offense might as well have someone like Joey Porter on defense if you can get him inexpensive and he does play in the middle of that 3-4 might work out for a year or two who knows.

Whow whoh whoh, hold on a second. Do some of ya'll honestly believe Shallen would bring Porter here if they didn't feel they were going to get what they want out of him over what Joey Porter wants? He's going to be a mentor whether he likes it or not being in DC, but to say that he won't do it for what, how, why, ya'll don't know except for what you think you know about him. Just because you don't like a guy doesn't make him the f'n antichrist.

Orakpo played strong-side OLB in the 3-4. I see a lot of ya'll are posting that he'll be weakside in the 3-4, but you'll get more out of Porter over there weakside then you will out of Orakpo. Porter would be the only true OLB that we'd have, so it's a start if we are really hell bent on just coverting all the DEs we have on the roster. I'd rather Orakpo learn the position from a guy like Porter and take control of the strong side. Put him where the action is, get the most out of him. If it's obvious he won't be able to handle it, then maybe we should be taking a second look at Orakpo in general.

Orakpo played strong-side OLB in the 3-4. I see a lot of ya'll are posting that he'll be weakside in the 3-4, but you'll get more out of Porter over there weakside then you will out of Orakpo. Porter would be the only true OLB that we'd have, so it's a start if we are really hell bent on just coverting all the DEs we have on the roster. I'd rather Orakpo learn the position from a guy like Porter and take control of the strong side. Put him where the action is, get the most out of him. If it's obvious he won't be able to handle it, then maybe we should be taking a second look at Orakpo in general.

Dude, A LOT of 3-4 OLB are converted DE's. Merriman, Suggs, Ware, Spencer (other Cowgirls OLB). I'm also pretty sure Porter played DE in college. So that argument is moot.

It was long since thought that Orakpo would be perfect as a 3-4 OLB. That's what he was billed as coming out of the draft. If it weren't for the Jets trading with the Browns, Orakpo was considered to be a a possible pick by the Browns (who run a 3-4 defense). The Packers were rumored to be interested in Orakpo to help them transition to the 3-4 as well. Instead, some players slipped and they managed to get a NT in BJ Raji to help them in the 3-4.

Orakpo will be perfect as a 3-4 weak side OLB. Completely perfect. His transition to 3-4 OLB will go much much much smoother than his transition to 4-3 OLB.

100% on board with this. All things considered, he'll also be our only 3-4 OLB that's actually an 3-4 OLB. He can cover if we ask him to.

I'd like to point out that he was allowed to do what he wanted in Miami, which is just attack the QB. He didn't go into coverage much. He's 33 and already lost his run stuffing abilities. He's a situational pass rusher at this point. You don't want him out in coverage, and you don't want him against the run.

Dude, A LOT of 3-4 OLB are converted DE's. Merriman, Suggs, Ware, Spencer (other Cowgirls OLB). I'm also pretty sure Porter played DE in college. So that argument is moot.

It was long since thought that Orakpo would be perfect as a 3-4 OLB. That's what he was billed as coming out of the draft. If it weren't for the Jets trading with the Browns, Orakpo was considered to be a a possible pick by the Browns (who run a 3-4 defense). The Packers were rumored to be interested in Orakpo to help them transition to the 3-4 as well. Instead, some players slipped and they managed to get a NT in BJ Raji to help them in the 3-4.

Orakpo will be perfect as a 3-4 weak side OLB. Completely perfect. His transition to 3-4 OLB will go much much much smoother than his transition to 4-3 OLB.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying about the conversion(s). Those players you named (Merriman, Suggs, Ware, Spencer) came into the league as DEs and were converted to OLB very early in their careers or the moment the ink dired on their rookie contract. This is not the case for Carter, Chris Wilson, Jarmon?, and Lorenzo f'n Alexander? Orakpo is the only exception on our roster to this trend we have set ourselves for any of the current depth at "3-4 OLB". I don't know exactly what it is you're trying to "learn" me, but I want our high first round draft pick playing strong-side and the natural beast at weakside playing weakside.

I'd like to point out that he was allowed to do what he wanted in Miami, which is just attack the QB. He didn't go into coverage much. He's 33 and already lost his run stuffing abilities. He's a situational pass rusher at this point. You don't want him out in coverage, and you don't want him against the run.

All the more reason to keep him on weakside. I'd feel more comfortable with him out there then Lorenzo, tho, or Mr. "I need some WD-40 for my latteral movement" Andre Carter. Let them do the rotation thing on weakside and put your best player on the strong side. That's what I want.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying about the conversion(s). Those players you named (Merriman, Suggs, Ware, Spencer) came into the league as DEs and were converted to OLB very early in their careers or the moment the ink dired on their rookie contract. This is not the case for Carter, Chris Wilson, Jarmon?, and Lorenzo f'n Alexander?

Good point. Chris Wilson started the transition to OLB last season, but the rest yeah.

Orakpo is the only exception on our roster to this trend we have set ourselves for any of the current depth at "3-4 OLB". I don't know exactly what it is you're trying to "learn" me, but I want our high first round draft pick playing strong-side and the natural beast at weakside playing weakside.

This makes no sense though. Orakpo's pass rushing success came on the weak side this past season. 11 sacks...with 8 or so coming at DE on the weak side right? Don't you think we should keep him on the weak side? Btw, Joey Porter only hit 11 or more sacks once in his career.

Why do you want Orakpo playing out of position. He's never been a pass rusher on the strong side, not in college, and not with his hand in the dirt with us.

Archived