Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Animal groups: Could ruling lead to hunters shooting cats?

nonniey

You're probably right, it's just that in context it sounds like it would be some highly despicable act.

:doh:

This whole post is totally baseless...

Easier to shoot? Absolutely.

More fun? Empowering? Most likely NO... and even those who do feel "empowered" by shooting animals, you just generalized an entire group of people with your opinion, with nothing to back it up at all.

"You can just see all the people...." What an ignorant assumption to make. You think that enacting this proposal would result in a cat-massacre of epic proportions? Please... At least TRY to sound like you know what you're talking about.

Do you even remember what you said earlier in this thread?

First of all...a dead cat is a dead cat. While pain and suffering should be kept to a minimum...let's not cry over something as trivial as stray cats.

If you don't think this is a trivial issue, then the real problem here is you.

As far as this ruling goes, great. Where can I sign up? I need some target practice!

Also, you really think this is "pretty sick?" If I went cat hunting for fun, I would be "pretty sick?"

It's pretty clear that you were ust going for shock value here and not really interesting in convincing anyone of anything.

You seem to be a cat hater. If I replaced the word "dog" every time you used the word "cat" would that make a difference to you?

Here, let's try it:

First of all...a dead dog is a dead dog. While pain and suffering should be kept to a minimum...let's not cry over something as trivial as dogs.

If you don't think this is a trivial issue, then the real problem here is you.

Again, a dead dog is a dead dog.

As far as this ruling goes, great. Where can I sign up? I need some target practice!

Then your dog has an outside chance of being shot. O well.... Welcome to the reality of nothing being perfect.

Also, you really think this is "pretty sick?" If I went dog hunting for fun, I would be "pretty sick?"

And yes, I do see this as a trivial issue. Sorry, these are dogs. They're not humans, they're not starving children, homeless veterans, or war-torn families. Just dogs. If you value their life and well-being even close to that of a human, then I won't even bother trying to reason with you, you've already gone off the deep end.

I have no anchor of perspective here because I heart cats in a big way. In fact, despite the obvious environmental problems my ballot would say "no killing any cats."

However, if a plan is set in motion to control the population I will respectfully disagree with Huly about the euthanization process. It doesn't sound so humane to me. It sounds like a concentration camp scenario where cats would spend there last hours, days, or even weeks trapped in a cage in fear just waiting for their death. I think I'd prefer to see them being killed by guns. At least each cat would die in it's own environment and it would be a lot quicker. Right up until it's moment of expiration it would be a cat- not a prisoner.

But again I'd like to stress that I'm not for killing cats at all.

I don't have anything against simple population control, but the case has to be made for how and where they are a nuissance. If they truely are detrimental to local wildlife, then that can be a good reason. But the simple fact that Billy Joe Bob wants target practice, loves dogs and hates cats is a horrible reason to support an initiative of this nature.

I just take issue with some of the comments that were a little over the top.

I am an avid bird watcher, and am absolutely against outdoor cats. They have decimated bird populations. It is not a trivial problem at all. The primary natural predators for most passerines (perching birds) are other birds (coopers hawk, sharp-shinned hawk, american kestrel, shrikes, etc). For a lot of small migratory songbirds, their natural instinct when they feel threatened is to fly deep into low shrubs, where hawks can't get to them. They freeze there, and are easy prey for a cat. This has been studied extensively by ornithologists, and is widely recognized as a major threat against bird populations.

I like indoor cats just fine, but they have no place roaming around outside. I don't care how they get removed (guns, euthanasia, adoption into indoor settings), just get rid of them.

There is some good info here, including info on the primary research about the effects of outdoor cats:

http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/policy/cats/materials/predation.pdf

At least 8 bird species extinctions are believed to be primarily due to feral cats.

I don't have anything against simple population control, but the case has to be made for how and where they are a nuissance. If they truely are detrimental to local wildlife, then that can be a good reason. But the simple fact that Billy Joe Bob wants target practice, loves dogs and hates cats is a horrible reason to support an initiative of this nature.

I just take issue with some of the comments that were a little over the top.

I think the case has been made for where, anywhere they are not indigenous. How is what is being fought over, primarily capture and spaying vs extermination. Extermination is the more practical and effective method but generally it can't overcome the emotional pull of the capture release idea.

I have had feral cat issues before, I called the local humane society, told them about my situation, they told me they could "rent me a trap". I said "no thanks", and took care of the problem myself.

I am pretty sure humane societies don't let people borrow traps, I would be interested in hearing of any that do. I currently have to feral cats that live on my property, I don't really have a problem with them, when they become 6 or 8 then 15 is when I will have to take care of them.

You never varmint hunt?

When there is a problem you eliminate it,same with feral dogs,coyotes ect

I'll leave mounting animals to others;)

possibly offensive pic

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/dmkilbride/buckmt2-07xp1233.jpg

We have a coyote in our neighborhood, he doesn't seem to bother anyone but the feral cats. I see him once every couple of weeks, usually chilling, sometimes playing with his kill.

I am 110% behind this. If people want to keep cats as pets, then keep them indoors. Once they're outdoors by themselves, they should be fair game. Leash it or lose it.

Also, for any archery hunters out there, cats make great targets. If you can hit a cat, you can hit the vitals of a deer.

I doubt anyone is going to use a gun to shoot an uncollared cat in a suburban neighborhood. If they are, there's a whole lot more problems than a stray cat.

If you're out in the woods hunting, and see an uncollared cat, long as you don't think somebody's in the area taking care of strays or doesn't collar their "outdoor cat", please shoot it.

Feral cats aren't "pets", even if they used to be. They're nuisances and song-bird killers AT BEST.

We have a coyote in our neighborhood, he doesn't seem to bother anyone but the feral cats. I see him once every couple of weeks, usually chilling, sometimes playing with his kill.

Exactly, they have predators. Now, if HUMANS would stop killing the animals that will thin the feral cat population, there would be no need to even consider hunting a cat.

Exactly, they have predators. Now, if HUMANS would stop killing the animals that will thin the feral cat population, there would be no need to even consider hunting a cat.

Humans are predators, or at least some of us.

If the coyote is killing cats and not chickens we have no problem.

The cat owners might:silly:

Humans are predators, or at least some of us.

If the coyote is killing cats and not chickens we have no problem.

The cat owners might:silly:

A very small population of humans are predators. Predators kill for food primarily and are essential for the balance of nature. If you live in the back woods and your primary source of food comes from the animals you kill, you are a predator, if your primary source of food comes from prepackaged foods in an air conditioned building, you're a scavenger.

Humans are primarily scavengers, not predators.

Yep, the coyote made the news a couple of months ago because he killed a ladies cat. Its only a matter of time before he kills a neighbors pomeranian. My brother in law shoots cats all of time when they come on his property.

He owns falcons that he uses for hunting and it isn't uncommon for cats to hunt the falcons. Basically if a cat is on his property it's a dead cat. :ols:

This giving dogs more value than cats is ignorant. cats are pests now. ok. Michael Vick is a monster, but shooting cats is cool. got it. I agree the feral cat populous is a concern and something needs to be done(humanely) Of course humane doesn't really hold much weight, considering, as much as we build machines and governments and like to call ourselves an advanced civilization...not much civility or humanity at times, but a lot of barbarism.

F you Dolphin, F you Whale!!! oh wait....F you chicken, F you cow! you bombed us...

I am 110% behind this. If people want to keep cats as pets, then keep them indoors. Once they're outdoors by themselves, they should be fair game. Leash it or lose it.

Also, for any archery hunters out there, cats make great targets. If you can hit a cat, you can hit the vitals of a deer.

Exactly...keep your critters on your property or within your control

That is civility and responsible ownership.

Exactly...keep your critters on your property or within your control

That is civility and responsible ownership.

Shooting people pets that may have escaped their property isn't an example of civility. I have a cat he's kept indoors but frankly I'm not interested in living in an area where blood thirsty idiots are going to shoot him should he run out while I'm bringing in the groceries. Call me old fashioned but I'm more of a fan of a knock on the door informing me that they found my lost pet and retrieved him for me, not that they shot it and they are legally protected in doing so.

Also it's interesting to note how many people in this thread are being jerks just for the hell of it. (not you TWA). They realize that people keep these animals as pets but insist on including how much they'd love to shoot them or light them on fire in some cases. I'm sure if I called them out on the fact that they are *******s they'd act all offended and complain about being insulted. Just realize that it's clear what you're doing.

Here is a great neighbor!. Your cat gets out and it's fair game! Yeeeee-hawwww! What other awesome opinions that make society a great place for all of us do you have? Please tell me more!

BTW - This little "cats destroy the environment" chant coming from people that are normally as concerned about the environment as I am about the health of Nicaragua's real estate economy is the very definition of disingenuous.

Archived