Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins are looking more like the Patriots then the Skins of old

jbooma

This is a good thing.

The patriots were famous fro bringing in more veteran type of players, and some with bad pasts and turn them around and have a complete team. What I love about this new look at FA for the skins is they look at certain players, don't overbid and also do not seem to panic when they do not get the person they want. They have a very thorough plan and are sticking to it it.

I love the signing for LJ because it is not for a lot of money, and he can still be productive. Shanny also must have thought to get Portis motivated he was going to have to upgrade the talent at RB and that is what he did with LJ.

Now if only we can find a Brady in the 6th round like the pats did, then I would be floored.

I agree. Thought the same thing yesterday.

We signed a former all star to a very very cheap contract in today's market that is pretty much entirely incentive based. Additionally, this is a player that not only thrived in teh same system at his peak, but he's coming in to compliment the style of our current RB, so we truly get the best of each regard.

I didn't like the signing originally because of his character, but I trust ShanahAllen, and for that price you can't beat it.

It's a pretty low risk, high reward situation for the Skins. The absolute worst case is if he causes trouble and we can just outright cut him, because his contract is so incentive based. The average case is that he's the backup for Portis and can provide 5-10 carries a game but won't reach those higher incentives. Best case is if actually does well and takes over for Portis and reaches those incentives, at which point he's worth the money anyway.

I get your drift booma, I just think that we we aren't really looking like another club. I get the connections. I think we are actually starting to look like the new look Redskins. Shany was always able to recruit vets and get them to play for him in Denver too! Allen is known league-wide for being shrewd as it relates to player values. I think that's exactly what we've seen so far with the FA approach!

It's a pretty low risk, high reward situation for the Skins. The absolute worst case is if he causes trouble and we can just outright cut him, because his contract is so incentive based. The average case is that he's the backup for Portis and can provide 5-10 carries a game but won't reach those higher incentives. Best case is if actually does well and takes over for Portis and reaches those incentives, at which point he's worth the money anyway.

Yep, that is the way he should look at it also. I have a feeling that he knows not to rock the boat as this is a perfect retirement plan for him. This could be a really sweet gig for him if does well on goalline and picking up the occasional first down. It's like being part time but getting paid for 40 hours per week.

I don't care what anybody says, the NFL is a business. And just like any other business success is based on identifying and acquiring assets that have value at a reasonable price.

In the NFL that means not over-paying for aging free agents and not moving up to draft players out of need rather than out of a belief they are really guys that have fallen too far based on their projected ability to play in the NFL.

New England, Philly, Indy, SD have been teams in the last decade that did the best job of finding value.

And they have won the most games as a result.

Meanwhile the Redskins valued players like Deion Sanders, Brandon Lloyd, Adam Archuleta, and Antwaan Randle El at a level far and above what others in the NFL did at the time.

And history has shown that the consensus view was the correct one, namely that the Redskins were failing to acquire true value in these transactions.

THAT is what has changed.

Artis Hicks is 31. Larry Johnson is 30. Sean Ryan is 28.

These guys are not young players. But they all have something to prove and their contracts reflect that.

Nobody here in 2010 is being given more than what they have currently proven they deserve at this point in time.

If the team keeps to that methodology in time the Redskins will be successful.

MEh, I won't lie, I'm scratching my head with the shanny/Allen combo. I don't know what they are doing. I guess when they cut those 10 players it was more about money. Why cut old players to replace them with Old players????

I need to see this whole thing unfold before I agree with the OP.

Age of players is only part of the equation.

I don't think anyone can question that Johnson is a more talented back at 30 than Betts or Cartwright who are also 30.

Artis Hicks at 31 is 3 years younger than Randy Thomas who will be 34 during the upcoming season and Hicks is healthy which Thomas has not been since 2007.

Ryan is a blocking tight end who can also line up as a capable lead fullback at 29. Todd Yoder the #3 TE in 2009 will be 32.

Kemoeatu when healthy is one of the better NTs in the NFL. He will be 31. The Redskins are taking the low dollar risk (base and guarantees) that he will return to form.

He replaces Cornelius Griffin at DT who is 33 years old and who at 300 was a less desirable option in a switch to the 3-4 as a nose tackle. He also has had injury issues almost every year since his monster year in 2004.

So, the Redskins are trying to find value free agents, guys who can come in on reasonable contracts and upgrade the team's depth from a talent standpoint.

And I think they are doing that.

Would they be making greater progress if all those 4th and 5th year pros were unrestricted this year?

Of course.

But the Redskins have to play with the hand they are dealt in the uncapped year. Poison pill owners in Cincinnati and Arizona didn't want the 'rich boys' in Dallas and Washington to be able to pick their rosters clean in a true uncapped year with unlimited free agency.

Of the 10 players released I can't think of one that I didn't have on my own cut list.

I was close to keeping Griffin simply because of his experience and work ethic.

But the others?

Mason has no talent.

Cartwright and Betts are both 30 and at this point are not options in the run game. Betts is coming back from a more serious injury than the one Kemoeatu suffered.

Randle El? He's shot as a breakaway threat on returns and is at 32 suited to be a #3 slot receiver. That's fine on a $1.5M contract but the Redskins were set to pay him almost $3M if he had been kept.

Anyone out there think ARE is worth $3M a year?

Collins? He's 37 and should have been a target for release when Zorn came in. Zorn and Vinny should have gone after Jeff Garcia or another veteran with WCO experience who could have helped Campbell. Instead they kept a player that had to learn a new system as well and who struggled in 2008 before finally catching on in the offseason before the 2009 season when he looked a bit more comfortable.

Of the current Redskins free agents I want to see the team resign Hunter Smith and Albright.

That's about it.

Love the post. I was telling one of my friends this except using the Eagles. We're going through the draft now, keeping acouple big name FA's on the team, and going after Vets looking to prove themselves and fill some solid gaps. On board with the FO's decisions right now. I see improvement already. We are going to win 9 games this year.

There is nothing wrong with having veterans on a team. It's just the ones we got rid of cost so much money compared to their true value on the team. Every team has these types of players....ROLE players. They should not be paid superstar money and that is why our payroll is so damn high each year.

I guess my point is that all the guys we got rid of are easily replaceable by much cheaper players who will do no worse on the field under a much improved coaching staff.

When we win the first of our next three Championships, then I might be inclined to agree with the title of this thread. Til then, I simply hope and pray that this new approach works out over time, and Snyder finally comes to his senses when it comes to building and retaining championship caliber teams.

This is a good thing.

The patriots were famous fro bringing in more veteran type of players, and some with bad pasts and turn them around and have a complete team. What I love about this new look at FA for the skins is they look at certain players, don't overbid and also do not seem to panic when they do not get the person they want. They have a very thorough plan and are sticking to it it.

I love the signing for LJ because it is not for a lot of money, and he can still be productive. Shanny also must have thought to get Portis motivated he was going to have to upgrade the talent at RB and that is what he did with LJ.

Now if only we can find a Brady in the 6th round like the pats did, then I would be floored.

You crazy!

Are you suggesting that we are going to have a Spy Cam/cheating scandal? :)

Man, let's all hope that in their desire to win, the organization never, ever stoops to cheating. I hope we would all prefer to have high performance be what we are remembered for, rather than tainted victories.

MEh, I won't lie, I'm scratching my head with the shanny/Allen combo. I don't know what they are doing. I guess when they cut those 10 players it was more about money. Why cut old players to replace them with Old players????

I need to see this whole thing unfold before I agree with the OP.

johnson still has a lot of carries left in his legs

p.s. i saw your sigs. liked the wiz khalifa ones. you have any wale ones??

Archived