Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Clayton: What's next in free agency?

bubba9497

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4979079

Click link for entire article

What's next in free agency?

The first wave of free agency ended with wide receivers Antonio Bryant and Terrell Owens flying into Cincinnati for a Tuesday visit with the Bengals.

Bryant was a franchise player for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last season. Owens is a franchise unto himself. Just ask him. Get your popcorn ready for that visit.

The list of free agents is thin, but the action has been fast and furious even though many of the signings didn't grab headlines. The first four days netted seven trades, 20 unrestricted free agents who moved to different teams and 29 players who re-signed with their teams. With eight unrestricted free agents retiring and one suspended for eight games (Dolphins nose tackle Jason Ferguson), the list that started with 221 unrestricted free agents is down to 163.

Eight of those players played for the NFL minimum salary last season, not leaving them with a lot of leverage.

Here are five fascinating trends and changes that have accompanied the start of free agency in the first uncapped year:

1. The uncapped year has some teams deciding to dump salary early in the contracts in case a cap returns: The Julius Peppers deal in Chicago is the perfect example. Peppers received a $6.5 million signing bonus but the Bears also elected to give him a $12.5 million roster bonus in 2010 and a $10.5 million roster bonus in 2011. Peppers will make $20 million in 2010, $11.5 million in 2011 and $9 million in 2012. Were the cap in effect in 2010, Peppers' cap number would be $14.853 million. Fullback Leonard Weaver of the Eagles received a $3.7 million roster bonus in 2010 on a three-year, $11 million contract that included only a $300,000 signing bonus.

2. Teams are doing extra to clean up their cap problems in this uncapped year: The Washington Redskins released nine veterans when free agency opened. Those released accounted for $62.2 million of dead cap money. If the $123 million cap were in effect, the Redskins would be $39 million over. The Dallas Cowboys kept their team intact. They would be $34 million over the cap and have $107 million in base salaries. Seven other teams, including the Vikings, Seahawks and Panthers, would also be over the cap.

3. Because of the cap cleaning, teams are getting younger: The Panthers are a classic example. They released five players who were in their 30s -- quarterback Jake Delhomme, fullback Brad Hoover, linebacker Na'il Diggs and defensive tackles Damione Lewis and Maake Kemoeatu. That leaves wide receiver Steve Smith, kicker John Kasay and punter Jason Baker as the only Panthers currently under contract over the age of 30. On the flip side, the St. Louis Rams, who got too young last year, are trying to get more seasoned with the signings of 32-year-old defensive tackle Fred Robbins and 32-year-old quarterback A.J. Feeley.

4. As expected, teams are working the trade market harder than ever because of the lack of quality free agents: There were seven trades in the first four days, and teams are willing to unload players quicker. The fact that teams are willing to accept 2011 picks illustrates their eagerness to make a deal. The Eagles took a sixth-round pick in 2011 from Tampa Bay for wide receiver Reggie Brown. The Seahawks took a 2011 pick from the Browns for quarterback Seneca Wallace. The Chargers took a third-round pick in 2011 from the New York Jets for cornerback Antonio Cromartie. In past years, teams were willing to wait longer for draft choices they could use in the current draft, rather than in subsequent years.

5. Moves in the first days of free agency point out where teams are likely to head in the draft: By signing Robbins and adding him to a three-tackle rotation, the Rams continue to show they are likely to take Sam Bradford with the first pick in the draft. They signed Feeley to be a bridge quarterback and may look to add another veteran, but Bradford seems to be the likely choice by the way the Rams are operating. The Lions are pointing to the selection of Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh by picking up Kyle Vanden Bosch at defensive end and Corey Williams at defensive tackle. Why Suh over Gerald McCoy? First, Vanden Bosch went to Nebraska, Suh's school. Second, the Lions don't need as much pass-rush push out of a first-round tackle because they can use Williams at the three-technique. That would leave McCoy to go to the Bucs, and the Redskins, who have the fourth pick, to select between tackle Russell Okung and quarterback Jimmy Clausen.

We need a linemen at that pick. I don't care who it is as long as he's good. QB with no line can not win. And we've put ourselves into a bad corner with not getting more linemen so far in Free Agency. I think that's the heart of my grief with how this years gone. I would have thought the brain trust would have been smart about this and not let the best availible linemen go to other teams. We've forced our own hand in my eyes, we have to get a linemen now. If we had not seen those guys go to other teams we could have taken a QB at the first pick and I would be ok with that, after seeing Richie Rich turn into Scrooge McDuck this year we have no choice.

hmm nothing here we didn't know. I still don't exactly understand why the media is convinced Rams will go Bradford #1. Spagnuolo is a defensive mind who would love a stud like Suh to build a defense around. At the same time I could just be saying this because I want Bradford to fall to the skins...(not because I necessarily want Bradford, but I would love the Skins to be in a position to make the choice they want; not one that is forced upon them)

We need a linemen at that pick. I don't care who it is as long as he's good. QB with no line can not win. And we've put ourselves into a bad corner with not getting more linemen so far in Free Agency. I think that's the heart of my grief with how this years gone. I would have thought the brain trust would have been smart about this and not let the best availible linemen go to other teams. We've forced our own hand in my eyes, we have to get a linemen now. If we had not seen those guys go to other teams we could have taken a QB at the first pick and I would be ok with that, after seeing Richie Rich turn into Scrooge McDuck this year we have no choice.
But my question is why does the o-linemen have to be picked in the first round. Im with you I want Okung at 4 but if they think someone else is more worthy of a pick then ill trust Bruce and Shanny.

But my question is why does the o-linemen have to be picked in the first round. Im with you I want Okung at 4 but if they think someone else is more worthy of a pick then ill trust Bruce and Shanny.

That's just it, I don't trust Shanny or Allen. Why should I?

What did Shanny do in the 2000 decade? He got one more game closer to the Superbowl then we did all decade and he lost that game. How many division titles did he win in Denver in the 2000's? One more then we did and we didn't win any. How many playoff games did he win in the 2000's? 1, same as us.

What did Allen do in the 2000's? Well he did see Tampa win two division titles and surpass Shanny and the Redskins but didn't win a single playoff game.

So someone please tell me why should I trust either guy? What have they done lately in this league to believe they can withstand the backlash that is sure to come if they don't pick a linemen in the first round?

The simple question to ask..."What would Drew Brees or Peyton Manning have done behind our offensive line last season?" Answer: Peyton never would have made it out of the season alive and Drew would STILL be running for his life.

It ALL starts up front!!! Even Portis' fat, cheese burger eating arse would flourish if given the holes to run through. Even our WR's, none of whom could start for possibly 12 teams in the league could get open if they had enough time.

hmm nothing here we didn't know. I still don't exactly understand why the media is convinced Rams will go Bradford #1. Spagnuolo is a defensive mind who would love a stud like Suh to build a defense around. At the same time I could just be saying this because I want Bradford to fall to the skins...(not because I necessarily want Bradford, but I would love the Skins to be in a position to make the choice they want; not one that is forced upon them)

The Rams need a face for the franchise, someone the fans down there will get excited about. A defensive lineman is not going to do it. If Bradford checks out health wise and peforms on his pro day it's a lock he's going #1.

What did Shanny do in the 2000 decade? He got one more game closer to the Superbowl then we did all decade and he lost that game. How many division titles did he win in Denver in the 2000's? One more then we did and we didn't win any. How many playoff games did he win in the 2000's? 1, same as us.

What did Allen do in the 2000's? Well he did see Tampa win two division titles and surpass Shanny and the Redskins but didn't win a single playoff game.

So someone please tell me why should I trust either guy? What have they done lately in this league to believe they can withstand the backlash that is sure to come if they don't pick a linemen in the first round?

Guess you got it all figured out Vinny:blahblah:

We need a linemen at that pick. I don't care who it is as long as he's good.

At pick #4 overall in the draft, that OT sure as **** better be more than just good. He better be a Franchise LT or it's a huge reach at that pick and definately NO value in taking the OT at that spot.

The Rams need a face for the franchise, someone the fans down there will get excited about. A defensive lineman is not going to do it. If Bradford checks out health wise and peforms on his pro day it's a lock he's going #1.

Sounds a lot like another team I know of...now who was that again hmmm? Someone to actually get the fans excited...man that would be awesome.

They've signed two defensive tackles in free agency. That is the reason people think they're gonna go after Bradford. Why would they take a third DT #1 overall after signing two in the offseason?

At pick #4 overall in the draft, that OT sure as **** better be more than just good. He better be a Franchise LT or it's a huge reach at that pick and definately NO value in taking the OT at that spot.

I agree but it is less of a risk to pick the sure tackle than the unknown QB. Right?

If we don't fancy the QBs and if McCoy is avail at 4, we will certainly get offers to trade down...hell Sea might want Clausen but if we do then take him regardless of early if the Shannys deem him worth....I'd love Okung but if we can trade back and get a OT in the first and OG/C/OT in the 2nd and grab Colt Mac i'd be down with that.

I agree but it is less of a risk to pick the sure tackle than the unknown QB. Right?

Absolutely. But to say, "We need a linemen at that pick. I don't care who it is as long as he's good.", sounds pretty dumb. Why reach and overpay for an OT just so you could say that you drafted one there. If he's good, but not #4 overall outstanding, then you don't take him. It's like overpaying for people in FA, and everybody around these parts has talked about how sick of that they have been for years. So why start doing it in the draft? Sounds like the same old kinda crap to me if the Skins just switched from doing it in FA to doing it in the draft.

EDIT: For the record, I do like Okung and have no problem with him at #4 overall. Just have an issue with drafting anybody for the sake of the position they play that early cuz they're "good", but not worthy of the selection.

What did Shanny do in the 2000 decade? He got one more game closer to the Superbowl then we did all decade and he lost that game.

Well, that's ONE way of severely minimizing what the Broncos accomplished lol...I'm sure there are others. Getting to the AFC Championship Game should be stated as such, instead of "they got one more game closer to the SB"...in the playoffs each game is not merely "one more game" like it is in the regular season.

PLEASE tell me that you know more about Bruce Allen's accomplishments in the 2000's than what you stated here :ols:...

Did you completely forget his time with the Oakland Raiders? You know...AFC Championship games...Super Bowl appearance...NFL Executive Of The Year...any of that ring a bell? All of it happened in the 2000s.

Who gives a rat's ass about fan "backlash"? What have FANS done to make me care one iota about what they think the Redskins should and should not do? lol ;)...

The simple question to ask..."What would Drew Brees or Peyton Manning have done behind our offensive line last season?" Answer: Peyton never would have made it out of the season alive and Drew would STILL be running for his life.

It ALL starts up front!!! Even Portis' fat, cheese burger eating arse would flourish if given the holes to run through. Even our WR's, none of whom could start for possibly 12 teams in the league could get open if they had enough time.

Dude, how do you explain that Peyton got sacked like 12 times last year. And, Painter in the last game got sacked three times. Quarterback does play a role in sacks. Two years ago Cassell led the league in sacks playing behind the same line Brady was rarely sacked. Did those guy forget how to block for Cassell.

It goes both ways. Some sacks are the quarterbacks fault. Some the lines fault.

This article brings up some interesting points, or at least it magnifies some scenarios that we all knew were increasingly possible, causing some more scrutiny.

There is an excellent chance we will be choosing between Claussen, Okung, and Berry with our fourth pick.

I am all for O-line and would have been happy with Bradford but with this scenario I am strongly leaning towards Berry.

That is unless Shanny and co have some secret mancrush on claussen that I do not know about, ultimately if they think he's the man I will be ok with them taking him.

It would be a different scenario if we were in say the middle or lower middle of the first, then I would say just go BPA OT, as long as its not a huge reach.

With the fourth pick though, I think that you have to go with the player that is most likely to become a truly great player. And while Okung is a solid prospect at a position of need, he is in no way any more special or gifted then many other top 5 tackles that have busted or underperformed recently.

Berry on the other hand seems like one of the most legit elite safety prospect in years. Similar to the way Suh is for Defensive Tackle. I dont think you can ignore this type of talent when you are picking as high as 4.

Again Claussen throws a curve ball into the whole equation as I have the knowledge or information necessary to make a judgement call on his worth. I just know that many have thought him second to bradford in value, this does not bode well for him being a #4 value. But... If Shanny likes him then I like him.

I would be very happy if we were able to trade down and Pick up one or two solid first/early second O-line prospects. At least then we would be getting solid O-line value for our pick. Not just one Rookie tackle who judging by past drafts has barely over a 50 percent chance of not being a dissapointment.

Trade back, get more linemen.

Really though, you can play the game of football with Jason Campbell at QB. You can't play the game of football without a LT. What do you want them to do, have another 4 win season? Put a Rookie behind that line? Not an option.

Nice article but I pray to almighty GOD that Sam Bradford doesn't wind up as a St.Louis Ram. Not just as a Redskins fan, but more so as a Oklahoma fan. It would be the end of his career on that turf and that horrible situation/franchise. Their O-line is in far worst shape than even ours is, and they have no decent recievers for him to count on. Their best is Avery and all he is, is an over rated glorified slot reciever.

And it would be nice to see the Redskins have the choice of drafting him, and then to see if they do.

I favor the "Draft franchise QB at 4, then get the last of the top OTs in 2nd round" strategy that Mike Mayock had mentioned previously. We have alot of holes to fill though. And that's where free agency comes in...

Since we just released Rock Cartright, Ladell Betts, and Marcus Mason... might I suggest Chester Taylor as a free agent? Or perhaps Thomas Jones? I like both those guys alot to pair with Portis and Ganther. Unless there's someone they see with alot of speed in the value rounds the could get. And we all know Shanahan is good at plucking running backs and O-linemen and getting production out of them in his system!

Since we just released Rock Cartright, Ladell Betts, and Marcus Mason... might I suggest Chester Taylor as a free agent? Or perhaps Thomas Jones? I like both those guys alot to pair with Portis and Ganther. Unless there's someone they see with alot of speed in the value rounds the could get. And we all know Shanahan is good at plucking running backs and O-linemen and getting production out of them in his system!

Taylor signed with the Bears

Jones signed with the Chiefs

Ganther was released

Going Clausen over Okung may define this FO for years to come. Good or Bad IDK. But a solid tackle when one is needed is the safe bet for sure.

I think this pick period--whether it's Clausen, Okung, McCoy, Berry, Suh or whoever--will define both Allen and Shanahan. Whoever they go with, they cannot miss. Which is why they need to go Clausen.

Archived