Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins possibly interested in NT Ma'ake Kemoeatu

RWJ

I think Rocky McIntosh is trade bait. At 6'1 and 230 I don't see him playing inside in a 3-4 defense. The fact he was tendered at the #2 rate is evidence the team is going to listen to offers.

I would think that Shanahan would take a late #3 pick for Rocky at this point given how deep this draft is.

I think Rocky McIntosh is trade bait. At 6'1 and 230 I don't see him playing inside in a 3-4 defense. The fact he was tendered at the #2 rate is evidence the team is going to listen to offers.

I would think that Shanahan would take a late #3 pick for Rocky at this point given how deep this draft is.

Agreed. But will anyone show any interest in him or JC. Boy, I hope so.

Now I can't speak for the OP you quoted but I can give my opinion on why he might not be the answer. Age is one concern. Yes generally NT's can play into their 30's because they are essentially space eaters depending on scheme. However I don't believe we can expect an older 340+ lb player to be playing a large majority of snaps. Taking on double teams is exhausting especially when you're carrying 345 lbs around. So while he could be part of the solution he isn't the answer in the way a Wilfork, Kris Jenkins, or Shaun Rogers would be. I'm not saying that as a horrible thing it's just hard to find great 3-4 NT's.

Injury history is also a concern. He has played one full season in his career. He missed all of 2009 with an achilles injury. His agent says he will be ready for training camp but he did need multiple surgeries after complications arose from his initial achilles injury. He really is an unknown at this point because that can be a tough injury to overcome. It ended Lavar's career.

There is also a production standpoint. I know 3-4 NT's job is not primarily to get after the QB but Kemoeatu has 4 career sacks and two of those were his rookie year. His career high in tackles (40) is less than Wilfork's career low. Again I understand 3-4 NT isn't a big stat position it is more about putting other players in a position to succeed but even still there is nothing here to say Maake would be a great player. I fully support signing him to a short term deal but I agree that he isn't "the answer." We would still need other players as part of a rotation to solidify that position. I'm personally hoping that Montgomery can be one of those guys. It's a shame to see him waste his natural talent with a bad attitude

Montgomery doesn't have a BAD attitude. He simply has NO attitude. But it would be nice if somebody would kick him in the groin and upset him once in a while because you are right about one thing...he is wasting away talent.

so far I have read exactly one thing about Rocky and the word "trade" in the same sentence. I have searched all news articles, experts, and the fan database and have one exactly one post on this and it is yours.

Keep dreaming. However, with that said. Rocky is not an inside linebacker and Alexander is a prototypical size for an inside linebacker so I am with you in wondering why Rocky would be rumored as an inside backer and Alexander would be listed as a DEFENSIVE END and an OUTSIDE LINEBACKER. Just doesn't figure and I have to wonder what the thinking is with Haslett since we are LOADED with outside linebacking candidates right now with Orakpo, Wilson, and Rocky. Its INSIDE that we have nobody but Fletcher and H.B. BLADES. So go figure.

Alexander would be a GREAT inside linebacker virtually giving us another defensive lineman against the run.

Perhaps we could trade Rocky to the Saints for Jermon Bushrod, the left tackle who took them through the playoffs and who they gave a 2nd round tender. If I'm not mistaken, Fujita (one of their outside linebackers) is a free agent. If they lose him, Gregg Williams could be looking for an OLB...and I think he knows Rocky pretty well. 2nd round tender for 2nd round tender. Need for need. Seems like a reasonable deal.

so far I have read exactly one thing about Rocky and the word "trade" in the same sentence. I have searched all news articles, experts, and the fan database and have one exactly one post on this and it is yours.

There's not much being leaked out of the park but there are indications as Bulldog mentions.

In one of Allen's interviews, I think it was with Larry M on Redskins Nation, he said that in the type of scheme the Skins would run, Rocky would probably be an inside linebacker. He hedged on both the question and answer, like to suggest, he doesn't fit their plans

Maake Kemoeatu to visit Redskins

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 7, 2010 2:17 PM ET

Free agent defensive tackle Maake Kemoeatu has a visit with the Redskins scheduled for Tuesday.

But Rick Maese of the Washington Post reports that Kemoeatu is not expected to sign a contract, even though he would seem to be a good fit as a nose tackle as the Redskins make the transition to a 3-4 defense.

The reason is that Kemoeatu, who missed all of 2009 with a torn Achilles' tendon, still can't run, almost eight months after suffering the injury. So the Redskins plan to meet with Kemoeatu now, but hold off on offering him a contract until they have a better sense for whether he'll be ready to go in time for training camp.

The 31-year-old Kemoeatu played for the Ravens from 2002 to 2005 and the Panthers from 2006 to 2008.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/07/maake-kemoeatu-to-visit-redskins/

Keep dreaming. However, with that said. Rocky is not an inside linebacker and Alexander is a prototypical size for an inside linebacker so I am with you in wondering why Rocky would be rumored as an inside backer and Alexander would be listed as a DEFENSIVE END and an OUTSIDE LINEBACKER. Just doesn't figure and I have to wonder what the thinking is with Haslett since we are LOADED with outside linebacking candidates right now with Orakpo, Wilson, and Rocky. Its INSIDE that we have nobody but Fletcher and H.B. BLADES. So go figure.

Alexander would be a GREAT inside linebacker virtually giving us another defensive lineman against the run.

If you looked more carefully, you'd find way more than one post guessing that Rocky is trade bait. Even TK has multiple posts about how he might not be part of the plans. We won't know until something happens, but that statement is just incorrect, and for some reason you threw in a bunch of attitude as well.

As for Alexander, he was a DE/DT. The transition to OLB in a 3-4 for a pass-rusher in the 4-3 is not that large of a change, especially if they're a situational player like Alexander would most likely be, and even more so because the 3-4 scheme in general manages to make up for coverage deficiencies in OLB's: Its not their job. However, changing from DE/DT to ILB is totally different. Different skill sets. Just imagine two middle linebackers, but with more coverage responsibilities than the OLB. That's an ILB. You'd put Alexander there?? He's very athletic for his size, but that's why they're putting him at OLB...because its not a huge change. ILB would be a total switch of position and skill-set. You can't say he'd fit there just because he has "prototypical size" for the position.

Along the same lines, Rocky can't play OLB in a 3-4, its completely different from an OLB in a 4-3. Pair that with how aggressive Haslett wants to be on D, and with the fact that Spanos (steelers) is our LB coach, and you can expect OLB to blitz very often in our new scheme. That's not what Rocky does. He could, however, handle the coverage/tackling duties given to the ILB in that scheme. And if Allen/Haslett/Shanahan don't think he can.......then that's why you'd hear members who pay attention, like Bulldog, talk about him being on the trading block, and why you'd see Larry Foote coming to visit the skins.

If you looked more carefully, you'd find way more than one post guessing that Rocky is trade bait. Even TK has multiple posts about how he might not be part of the plans. We won't know until something happens, but that statement is just incorrect, and for some reason you threw in a bunch of attitude as well.

That's kind of his MO, that same poster has jumped on me for being "paranoid and negative" just because I made a neutral statement rather than cheering for ShanahAllen before FA even started.

What about Shuan Rogers, NT for the Browns.

There is talk they could trade him.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2010/03/cleveland_browns_rogers_could.html

Wonder if we could make a trade?

Maybe Jason for Rogers and a 4th rounder?

I'd make this move in a second if we were SB contenders, or if Rogers had less of an injury history. Our front could be dominant with Haynesworth and Rogers in front of Foote, Fletcher, and Orakpo. We could have some serious buyers remorse however when Rogers and Haynesworth were simultaneously sidelined with injuries. I love Shaun Rogers and might sign him as a FA, but we can't give up a draft pick for him, or a player who could be parlayed into draft picks.

Regarding Kemoeatu, it seems damned worrisome that he is 8 months post-op and still can't run. Based on that report, who knows if he will even be able to play football again.

Archived