Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins possibly interested in NT Ma'ake Kemoeatu

RWJ

If we're going to do the 3-4 in earnest, this is a good start.

He's not the answer, obviously. But it's a foot in the right direction.

Yet, I'm secretly holding out hope that Montgomery turns it around and becomes a NT... maybe he will if he's motivated?

That's what I've been saying all along! He just needs to regain a little weight. He really can do it and its the only way he can start again for us!

I did the same thing you did. He means that Kemo takes Griffin's place in the rotation. That He now IS Griffin's spot.
:ols: Oh yeah, I see what he did there.

Monty is still here, correct? I think we tendered him with a low rounder, so I guess he is the NT by default right now.

Would Haynesworf even be a fit for that position?

I'm more concerned if he will "be fit" for a position without the "a" in there.

When I think of Fat Al and 3-4, I think of him needing to stop 3-4 times a game to flounder around on the field gasping for air.

Would Haynesworf even be a fit for that position?

As a 3-4 DE he'd be perfect because it would allow him to go after QBs without having to worry about stay at home responsibilites.

Although in reality, the entire DL in a 3-4 is generally responsible for taking out the OL and run game. In an aggressive scheme it's a bit different, but tradtionally DEs and NTs don't get much statistical success.

];7348522']As a 3-4 DE he'd be perfect because it would allow him to go after QBs without having to worry about stay at home responsibilites.

Although in reality' date=' the entire DL in a 3-4 is generally responsible for taking out the OL and run game. In an aggressive scheme it's a bit different, but tradtionally DEs and NTs don't get much statistical success.[/quote']

Haynesworth could go after the QB at the NT position. Haslett will have to let him attack. Some NT's take up blockers. Casey Hampton and Wilfork fall into that category. Jay Ratliff attacks the backfield, which Haynesworth could do.

T Cody would be nice with our 2nd rounder and would fill this need very well.

I wish we didn't have so many offensive holes to fill, because we could land Berry and Cody and really have a great young defense for years to come. Especially if guys like Henson step up.

I would be interested in knowing your logic. Why is Kemoeatu NOT the answer and why "OBVIOUSLY". He has typical nose tackle weight at 345 and he has enough experience now that he is a veteran pro who can take advantage of all the tricks he has learned through the years and yet, he is young enough that he could be signed to a 3-4 year contract and play until age 34-35.

Why is he "OBVIOUSLY" not the answer, in your opinion.

Now I can't speak for the OP you quoted but I can give my opinion on why he might not be the answer. Age is one concern. Yes generally NT's can play into their 30's because they are essentially space eaters depending on scheme. However I don't believe we can expect an older 340+ lb player to be playing a large majority of snaps. Taking on double teams is exhausting especially when you're carrying 345 lbs around. So while he could be part of the solution he isn't the answer in the way a Wilfork, Kris Jenkins, or Shaun Rogers would be. I'm not saying that as a horrible thing it's just hard to find great 3-4 NT's.

Injury history is also a concern. He has played one full season in his career. He missed all of 2009 with an achilles injury. His agent says he will be ready for training camp but he did need multiple surgeries after complications arose from his initial achilles injury. He really is an unknown at this point because that can be a tough injury to overcome. It ended Lavar's career.

There is also a production standpoint. I know 3-4 NT's job is not primarily to get after the QB but Kemoeatu has 4 career sacks and two of those were his rookie year. His career high in tackles (40) is less than Wilfork's career low. Again I understand 3-4 NT isn't a big stat position it is more about putting other players in a position to succeed but even still there is nothing here to say Maake would be a great player. I fully support signing him to a short term deal but I agree that he isn't "the answer." We would still need other players as part of a rotation to solidify that position. I'm personally hoping that Montgomery can be one of those guys. It's a shame to see him waste his natural talent with a bad attitude

Me neither I don't like that to much, butttttttttttt Foote played OLB with the Lions right? Ernie Sims is their MLB. So maybe he can switch to OLB and we would have Rocky ILB and Foote taking the OLB. That leaves Andre Carter where the hell is he going to go?

Wrong Foote played MLB in Detroit Ernie is a WLB.

Tell me u dont love this:

#Redskins will visit in Ashburn with UFA Nose Tackle Ma'ake Kemoeatu on Tuesday according to #NFL Source. Ideal 3-4 2-gap plugger. #Skins

Russellmania09 - twitter.com - 1 minute ago

Archived