Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN via Adam Schefter: 1st round tender on Jason

mnb123

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/colt-brennan-faces-uncertain-f.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

This Jason Reid Blog didn't seem to make the rounds much on this board -- it was far from a glowing endorsement of Brennan. Some excerpts:

But Zorn expected Brennan to challenge Todd Collins for the backup job in the 2009 preseason, and that didn't happen because Brennan struggled. Also, some in the organization grew frustrated with Brennan because of what they perceived to be his ****iness despite never having accomplished anything in the NFL, team sources said...

...Zorn, however, determined that Brennan did not progress enough from his rookie season to commit a roster spot to him. Although Zorn was fired after going 12-20 in two seasons and often seemed to be in way over his head, his credentials as a quarterbacks coach are unquestioned.

Well the bang up job he did with JC just may raise some eye brows about his credentials developing QB's.

Zorn didn't think Colt progressed? And to think he thought JC did? Surprisingly he's not with us any more.

Considering the organization commitment to a QB who doesn't belong on an NFL field other than as an emergency backup, just perhaps they might not have an eye for real talent?

And there is the biggest difference between Colt, and Jason at this point in their careers, Colt may be ****y?

Colt was to be considered in his rookie year the long term backup if something happened to JC, Zorn didn't want a rookie to be thrown into a game for the 1st time without preparation on the spur of the moment, he wanted the more experienced Collins, but Colt would have been the starter the up coming game if JC was unable to go. As for last year? The guy was playing injured and still moved the ball pretty well, but did throw some INT's, but he did have a TD pass dropped which the next play resulted in an INT, the bottom line is the kid makes plays and will only get better, something JC doesn't do.

Its a conspiracy! Duh. Reid likes Campbell. So uh, Campbell paid. Wait. No...uh...Zorn (who one poster once said was trying to "keep Colt down" and "break his spirit") paid Reid to say that stuff about Brennan because the team obviously was in love with Campbell. Or maybe Campbell paid Zorn. Details are murky here.

And uh...oh yeah, Dan Snyder paid him to write it too so that he could try to...pump up Campbell's value and...because he got punched in the nuts once when in Hawaii so he doesn't like the state. And I'm pretty sure there is something about not really landing on the moon that has to do with it.

Well, my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious...

Senaca Wallace was traded from Seattle to Cleveland. It will be interesting to see what pick Cleveland is giving for him. It's not known yet. If it's a 4 or 5th, then JC should certainly yield a 3rd. I was hoping that Cleveland might consider JC but I guess they went another route.

Why don't see just sit back and see who is here and who isn't come opening day shall we?

If you mean opening day 2011...I agree. JC has won no ringing endorsements from Shanny & Allen. That much is obvious. My guess is that he is not in their long-run plans - they are boxed in presently by past FO moves and the CBA debacle and have to run with him as the best available option. The optimum path, one can venture to guess, is for JC to keep to the middle of the road with high points and low points in a way that generates enough value that some team will invest a 2nd in him down the road. One can hope that he continues to progress so that he is attractive to teams that are either looking for a capable back-up or run an offense better suited to his skills & weaknesses. He is not, IMO, a top tier WCO kinda QB.

I was never a CB supporter...so I don't really care on this one. But the man was on injured reserve. how, exactly, was he supposed to compete?

He went on injured reserve at the end of preseason. He had OTAs, Camp and a full preseaon to compete. He was not even close to wining a backup spot let alone showing he had potential to start.

Senaca Wallace was traded from Seattle to Cleveland. It will be interesting to see what pick Cleveland is giving for him. It's not known yet. If it's a 4 or 5th, then JC should certainly yield a 3rd. I was hoping that Cleveland might consider JC but I guess they went another route.

Report is a LATE-ROUND 2011 pick.

Wow that is a steal IMO.

Some posters see Brennan as an alternative to Campbell as starter this year and feel he would/will win a camp battle for the position.

I feel that view is, at best, optimistic. The fact that he could not unseat Collins as backup last year is cited by me among others as evidence of this.

i worded my initial comments poorly. there was a comment about reids report in which he talked about brennan struggling to unseat collins. another poster said he didnt believe it cuz reid was a campbell supporter. i asked what his supporting of campbell had to do with a report about brennan not being able to unseat collins as a backup. its odd to me.

hey, if brennan comes in and outplays everybody, great. i personally want whoever is best for the team.

If you mean opening day 2011...I agree. JC has won no ringing endorsements from Shanny & Allen. That much is obvious. My guess is that he is not in their long-run plans - they are boxed in presently by past FO moves and the CBA debacle and have to run with him as the best available option. The optimum path, one can venture to guess, is for JC to keep to the middle of the road with high points and low points in a way that generates enough value that some team will invest a 2nd in him down the road. One can hope that he continues to progress so that he is attractive to teams that are either looking for a capable back-up or run an offense better suited to his skills & weaknesses. He is not, IMO, a top tier WCO kinda QB.

Uh no 2010...

.....The Future is NOW! :)

i worded my initial comments poorly. there was a comment about reids report in which he talked about brennan struggling to unseat collins. another poster said he didnt believe it cuz reid was a campbell supporter. i asked what his supporting of campbell had to do with a report about brennan not being able to unseat collins as a backup. its odd to me.

hey, if brennan comes in and outplays everybody, great. i personally want whoever is best for the team.

Gotcha :)

I agree with you by the way I just want the best QB we can get whatever his name is.

and you and all the other JC apologists remain wedded to a philosophy of mediocrity......and dishonesty - if one judges by the twisted attempts to manufacture wisdom from isolated statistics. I think of it as ES intellectual gerrymandering! beat that hollow chest boys and girls!

laughable actually....contempt would be investing too much value in the thought processes on display. JC is not a West Coast QB.....his weaknesses are precisely the ones that will undermine the Skins offense over the long haul as the team becomes more competitive in Shanny's version of the WCO. everyone knows it...except the reids of the world who have ulterior motives......:saber:

I have no idea.....you might have insight: just what does a jock smell like?

I really have no clue what your post is even responding to. The subject of "Colt easily beating out JC in a fair competition" came up and some people pointed to the fact that he apparently wasn't able to even come close to beating Collins for the #2 spot last year. An article by Reid was paraphrased where he talked about the situation.

And immediately the response was to dismiss it as Reid just liking Campbell, which he might. But what does that have to do with what he said? It isn't like Zorn didn't come out and say that Collins was staying as #2 and Colt and Daniel were in more of a battle at the later point in preseason than Colt and Collins.

There really does seem to be some sort of "conspiracy theory" thinking every once in a while when it comes to Brennan being where he is on the depth chart. I've read everything from "well he wasn't actually given a fair chance for <insert random reason>" to "Zorn was trying to break Colt's spirit and keep him down". As if any of that even makes sense.

As far as JC, do I think he has a better shot at keeping his starting spot than Colt taking it? Yes. If Colt suddenly starts lighting it up and Shanny decides to go with him, great. I just don't see it as all that likely, but some people on here are just weird with the whole "Colt will beat JC easily" as if the past doesn't even exist. I think Campbell is a middle of the road QB at this point. But I also don't think we have many other options. Bradford will likely be gone at #1 and I think they will pass on Clausen (to be honest I'm not really enamored of either one).

Would it be awesome to have a Peyton Manning or Drew Brees or Tom Brady? Sure. I'm sure plenty of teams would have loved to have Marino back in the day. But that doesn't mean one is out there. You want to call me a "jock sniffer", fine. A bit juvenile, but whatever you want to believe. I don't care one way or the other about Campbell. If Shanny thinks he is the best option, fine. If he thinks someone else is, fine. Do I think he is a better QB than some of the more extreme anti-Campbell elements on here say? Yes, but that doesn't mean I think he is a great QB.

you just wonder if bradford truly will be the #1 overall if we take a shot on clausen, or load up on olineman and let colt start.

Maybe the Seahawks really like Mike Teel but they still need another body. As for us it depends on who Shanny likes. You know if he has a QB he really likes he will go get him.

no way we draft Clausen at #4: not strong enough arm deep......heel problems may be bigger than some are letting on.

i cant imagine we'd actually trade up to the #1 pick though. and if not bradford who would we draft? if we really want olineman in round one we can trade down, and trading out of the #4 with the good QB gone would be hard.

I really have no clue what your post is even responding to. The subject of "Colt easily beating out JC in a fair competition" came up and some people pointed to the fact that he apparently wasn't able to even come close to beating Collins for the #2 spot last year. An article by Reid was paraphrased where he talked about the situation.

And immediately the response was to dismiss it as Reid just liking Campbell, which he might. But what does that have to do with what he said? It isn't like Zorn didn't come out and say that Collins was staying as #2 and Colt and Daniel were in more of a battle at the later point in preseason than Colt and Collins.

There really does seem to be some sort of "conspiracy theory" thinking every once in a while when it comes to Brennan being where he is on the depth chart. I've read everything from "well he wasn't actually given a fair chance for <insert random reason>" to "Zorn was trying to break Colt's spirit and keep him down". As if any of that even makes sense.

As far as JC, do I think he has a better shot at keeping his starting spot than Colt taking it? Yes. If Colt suddenly starts lighting it up and Shanny decides to go with him, great. I just don't see it as all that likely, but some people on here are just weird with the whole "Colt will beat JC easily" as if the past doesn't even exist. I think Campbell is a middle of the road QB at this point. But I also don't think we have many other options. Bradford will likely be gone at #1 and I think they will pass on Clausen (to be honest I'm not really enamored of either one).

Would it be awesome to have a Peyton Manning or Drew Brees or Tom Brady? Sure. I'm sure plenty of teams would have loved to have Marino back in the day. But that doesn't mean one is out there. You want to call me a "jock sniffer", fine. A bit juvenile, but whatever you want to believe. I don't care one way or the other about Campbell. If Shanny thinks he is the best option, fine. If he thinks someone else is, fine. Do I think he is a better QB than some of the more extreme anti-Campbell elements on here say? Yes, but that doesn't mean I think he is a great QB.

welll...you're right. I kinda selected your post as a target of opportuntity. though the OP was orig about JC and first round tender.

apologies for the sniffer comment - I would have been a lot less discplined than you in repsondeing to that one!!

I ask this: you and others have been making a case for JC for quite a while now. he has some strengths and he has some weaknesses (as you recognize with your qualified comments). I think a more interesting conversation would be one centered on whether the JC strength/flaw mix suits the Shanny WCO. What do you think?

i cant imagine we'd actually trade up to the #1 pick though. and if not bradford who would we draft? if we really want olineman in round one we can trade down, and trading out of the #4 with the good QB gone would be hard.

exactly what i have been wondering.

drafting Okung or like at #4 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. barring trades...what has me perplexed is what you do with the 2nd round pick.

- a QB Shanny thinks is raw but has "the righ stuff"

- a NT to serve as the lynchpin for Haslett's defense

- a running back with the speed/quickness Shanny would appear to covet?

it'll be really intersting to see how this plays out. IMO..and I think others have pointed to this....the FO wanted to manage O-line problems through FA and on-hand talent. notice how they keep saying "...we don't know until we run them through our system for a year..."? they may think there is enough talent on hand that the need for draft/FA O-linemen isn't as large as many of us suppose. who knows? it's a plot being written as the cast changes!

exactly what i have been wondering.

drafting Okung or like at #4 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. barring trades...what has me perplexed is what you do with the 2nd round pick.

- a QB Shanny thinks is raw but has "the righ stuff"

- a NT to serve as the lynchpin for Haslett's defense

- a running back with the speed/quickness Shanny would appear to covet?

it'll be really intersting to see how this plays out. IMO..and I think others have pointed to this....the FO wanted to manage O-line problems through FA and on-hand talent. notice how they keep saying "...we don't know until we run them through our system for a year..."? they may think there is enough talent on hand that the need for draft/FA O-linemen isn't as large as many of us suppose. who knows? it's a plot being written as the cast changes!

its all about how he values the QBs. i heard the colt mccoy talk, if he somehow thinks mccoy is good, we hope we can trade out of the #4 slot for two 1st rounders or something like that, and snag the best OT we can and mccoy with our 2nd 1st rounder (or just hope hes there at #36).

im still hoping its bradford though, id hate to see him go to st louis and play well lol.

Its a conspiracy! Duh. Reid likes Campbell. So uh, Campbell paid. Wait. No...uh...Zorn (who one poster once said was trying to "keep Colt down" and "break his spirit") paid Reid to say that stuff about Brennan because the team obviously was in love with Campbell. Or maybe Campbell paid Zorn. Details are murky here.

And uh...oh yeah, Dan Snyder paid him to write it too so that he could try to...pump up Campbell's value and...because he got punched in the nuts once when in Hawaii so he doesn't like the state. And I'm pretty sure there is something about not really landing on the moon that has to do with it.

No, the real conspiracy is that Zorn couldn't cut Colt because of Snyder and Shanahan. Snyder knew he was going to fire Zorn at the end of the season so that he could hire Shanahan and it was Shanahan who wanted Colt to remain on the team. Plus his jersey sells also. ;)

no way we draft Clausen at #4: not strong enough arm deep......heel problems may be bigger than some are letting on.

Everything I've ever read says Clausen has a bigger arm than Bradford, so I'm not sure where you're going with that. Clausen also has no heel problems.

Everything I've ever read says Clausen has a bigger arm than Bradford, so I'm not sure where you're going with that. Clausen also has no heel problems.

According to our ES insiders and in one of those Clausen threads, Vinny is advising him and a few others for the upcoming draft. He has that Notre Dame connection.

You think the Skins are going to want anything to do with him? :ols:

Archived