Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN via Adam Schefter: 1st round tender on Jason

mnb123

According to our ES insiders and in one of those Clausen threads, Vinny is advising him and a few others for the upcoming draft. He has that Notre Dame connection.

You think the Skins are going to want anything to do with him? :ols:

If he has Vinny advising him that's a red flag right there on his decision making!!

I ask this: you and others have been making a case for JC for quite a while now. he has some strengths and he has some weaknesses (as you recognize with your qualified comments). I think a more interesting conversation would be one centered on whether the JC strength/flaw mix suits the Shanny WCO. What do you think?

Good question. My take on that is he has the arm and mobility to be a nice fit in Shannys system. But I don't think he has the decision making and agressivness to be a good long term option. Shanny is going to want more out of the position than Jason has to give IMO.

I think it's a case of love the one your with while keeping your eye out for a better long term fit. I think Shanny will want to draft his QB either this year or next to develop and Campbell will keep the seat warm meanwhile.

Good question. My take on that is he has the arm and mobility to be a nice fit in Shannys system. But I don't think he has the decision making and agressivness to be a good long term option. Shanny is going to want more out of the position than Jason has to give IMO.

I think it's a case of love the one your with while keeping your eye out for a better long term fit. I think Shanny will want to draft his QB either this year or next to develop and Campbell will keep the seat warm meanwhile.

My sentiments are pretty much the same (sorry I didn't answer the question directly, fansince62; I just got back on ES). I don't think Campbell is a great fit for a WCO. He has improved his footwork and shortened his release but he still probably doesn't really fit that mold.

Then again, there really is no way to know for sure what will happen to Campbell with competent coaching/playcalling and a (hopefully) upgraded line. Maybe he will continue to be medicore, maybe he will flourish. Shanahan has certainly taken inconsistent QBs before and helped them get to the next level. Either way, my guess is that he will be here for the 2010 season.

As I said, I'm not all that attached to Campbell. I want the starting QB to be the one that Shanahan thinks is the best. The only reason I pop up sometimes and defend him is because I think some of the vitriol directed at him goes way beyond any rational discussion. Again, I don't think he is a great QB, but I don't think he is a bad QB either.

We'll see what ends up happening.

I think Seattle will trade higher than us if possibleand takes QB . They have 2 firsts.

Or they trade with us and we get the two then draft LeFevour with our second :)

Shanny and Allen are going to play this in ways that will make us all proud.

I ask this: you and others have been making a case for JC for quite a while now. he has some strengths and he has some weaknesses (as you recognize with your qualified comments).

I think most of the group of posters that dislikes Campbell confuses the many members of the forum that desire accuracy and truth in an assestment of any Redskins as members of the CDT,lol.

I think a more interesting conversation would be one centered on whether the JC strength/flaw mix suits the Shanny WCO. What do you think?

*Long Post*

Based on your posting history and posting style this question is a thinly veiled attempt to cull more fodder to continue your agenda against Campbell with your usual attacks against anything positive about JC; but in case it isn't:

First off a distinction has to be made between which Shanahan you're talking about, Mike or Kyle?

Both will have an imput on the offense and although both run the WCO they are different.

I'll focus on wether Jason would be a fit for Kyle's offense because i've already thought in depth about this: http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=7200207&postcount=24

o its a pass 1st offense but i can't tell if its by design or because of Slaton's sophmore slump

o 5 step drop based passing attack with alot of intermediate routes lots of deep slants, deep ins, deep crossing routes and some out routes; they use far less 3 step drop then we do and they also sprinkle in some 7 step drop they go deep often

o they're very multiple and use more formations then we did

o motion is a key element in their offense, they have some motion/shifting on almost every play, they move Daniels and Johnson around alot

o they make good use of action passes- play action, rollouts/bootlegs; especially in the redzone

o they do a good job of attacking coverages and usually get receivers more open then what i typically see from Zorn's offense (one of my major knocks against Zorn was i thought his schemes were great against man-to-man when JC had time but i thought his schemes struggled against zones), Kyle seems to know how to get people open against zone schemes

http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=7313837&postcount=17

o The Texans often use 'tight' formations with a Twin WR concept

e.g.- they often went singleback 3 WR 1 TE except the flanker WR was in tight to the TE and not side:

WR...............WR.......T-G-C-G-T-TE

......................................QB.......... ..WR

.......................................RB

They used a lot of double TEs formations and both TEs get targeted:

They often used this set:m_cfb0626ec16d4c5f867df2924dbd68eb.jpg it shares the same Twin WR concept above and adds a double TE stack at the U and Y

-They used this set^^ to attack the seam w/ their 2nd TE Dresden

They use some common formations that we used like this 2 TE set (except they actually passed form it and often to their TEs)

m_0b23f1d77e4e3f0ecc007cc18553318a.jpg

The share classics like: I-Form pro and they use a lot more Off-set Im_2f5b7d11ac21439aa3b6bfbdc5d80e38.jpg which i haven't seen use often

o Kyle didn't give up on the running game

o They use a lot of motion and it works to get receivers favorable often 1-on-1 match-ups

o I was amazed at how often they found away to get Andre Johnson matched up 1-on-1 and how often they got him and Jacoby Jones WIDE OPEN

o They are effective with the RB screen game

o They run a lot of 5 and 7 step drop passing

They ran I-Form tight where they motioned the Z receiver into the backfield

..............T--G--C-G-T-TE.....................WR

..............WR.....Q

.......................FB

.......................RB

They did a 7 step playaction pass where Schaub had all day to wait for a wide open Andre Johnson beautiful play

o The routes: they scored on a Post route which was practically absent from the Zorn offence in general anyone remember they last Post route we even threw?: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...s-Bengals-2008,

they also attacked with the Seam route with the TEs

and the got Andre Johnson matched up 1-on-1 and threw slants

They ran playaction to the TE on the goalline

Other notes:

The main thing i took from this game is that Kyle is gonna make good use of this formation with 2 WR/2 TE personnel and with 3 WR 1 TE personnel

m_cfb0626ec16d4c5f867df2924dbd68eb.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=7318232&postcount=23

I think a lot of Kyle's concepts will translate.

I think Mike/Kyle's ability to diagnose and attack defenses and dictate coverage will result in our primary receivers being open more consistently which will result in simpler reads for our QB.

The question is personnel and i think we have similiar talent at the skill positions.

Matt Schaub at this point is a superior QB to anyone we have now and will have next year. But, with the guidance from Mike S/Kyle/LeFleuer i think our QB is going to get top level coaching and a chance to have success.

I think the our TEs as a unit are as good if not better.

The Texans receiving corp is clearly better then ours mainly because of the singular talent of Andre Johnson.

But, i think Moss and Thomas speed could give a similar vertical component and run after the catch ability and Kelly's similar size and hands. So the combination of our 3 top receivers could fit different elements of their passing game that Johnson provided. In one respect our receiving corps could be better then their because while we don't have 1 receiver as good as AJ each of our top 3 has at least 1 similiar trait.

The running back comparison is difficult because they had a down year with Slaton's sophmore slump but we have a proven back in Portis whose dedication and health are a hige question mark.

I hope that we don't forget about our other backs and as a unit i think we have the better backfield.

The major area of difference other then QB was OL.

They run a lot of 5 and 7 step drop passes, with play-action and bootlegs mixed in.

And quite frankly at this point we don't have an OL that can play anywhere near their level.

So the question becomes how much can we upgrade our OL and how much can coaching and continuity improve our OL?

And how much can they tweak their scheme to match the ability or lack thereof of our OL and still have a productive offense?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the Redskins offense when Bingo Lewis was calling plays gives a baseline glimpse of what the offense could look like with Kyle calling plays for Jason, keeping in mind that Lewis was out of the league for several years yet made the offense instantly more productive and Kyle is one of the sharpest young offensive coordinators.

how long does campbell have before he has to sign his tender. and what happens if he does not sign the tender?

Took this from Ask the Commish

http://www.askthecommish.com/freeagency/

A prior team has until June 1 to tender an UFA or a RFA a qualifying offer (worth at least 110% of the salary of the final year of the contract with the prior team). In the case of UFAs, if such an offer is made, the player has until July 22 to sign with a DIFFERENT club. If he doesn't, then the only team that the player can sign with after July 22, is the prior club. In the case of RFAs, if such a June 1 tender is made, the player can ONLY sign with the the prior club. If no June 1 tender is made for a RFA (or the tender is rescinded by the prior club before July 22), then the player becomes an UFA. In the case of both UFAs and RFAs, if the player does not sign with the Prior team by the first Tuesday following Week 10 of the regular NFL season, then the player shall be prohibited from playing in the NFL for the remainder of that season.

So essentially Iif I read this correctly) unless Campbell signs with ANOTHER club by July 22 the only club he can sign with is the Redskins or he does not play in the NFL this year. He has until the end of week 10 to sign or thats him for the year.

so martin, in essence because hes an RFA, he can play until week 10 without ever signing his tender??

No he can't play unless he is under contract - which in this case equals signing his tender. He can hold out but he would not be able to play and if he has not signed by week 10 he loses the full year.

At least thats how I read it.

I assume we can withdraw the tender but then he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Took this from Ask the Commish

http://www.askthecommish.com/freeagency/

A prior team has until June 1 to tender an UFA or a RFA a qualifying offer (worth at least 110% of the salary of the final year of the contract with the prior team). In the case of UFAs, if such an offer is made, the player has until July 22 to sign with a DIFFERENT club. If he doesn't, then the only team that the player can sign with after July 22, is the prior club. In the case of RFAs, if such a June 1 tender is made, the player can ONLY sign with the the prior club. If no June 1 tender is made for a RFA (or the tender is rescinded by the prior club before July 22), then the player becomes an UFA. In the case of both UFAs and RFAs, if the player does not sign with the Prior team by the first Tuesday following Week 10 of the regular NFL season, then the player shall be prohibited from playing in the NFL for the remainder of that season.

So essentially Iif I read this correctly) unless Campbell signs with ANOTHER club by July 22 the only club he can sign with is the Redskins or he does not play in the NFL this year. He has until the end of week 10 to sign or thats him for the year.

Something isn't right because he had to be tendered by March 5th at midnight.

No he can't play unless he is under contract - which in this case equals signing his tender. He can hold out but he would not be able to play and if he has not signed by week 10 he loses the full year.

At least thats how I read it.

I assume we can withdraw the tender but then he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

ah, i see.

im assuming he cannot participate in team activities until he signs either correct? and if shanny is running a mini camp next week (if i recall) he'd have to sign it before then to participate?

ah, i see.

im assuming he cannot participate in team activities until he signs either correct? and if shanny is running a mini camp next week (if i recall) he'd have to sign it before then to participate?

I'm pretty sure players often take part in minicamp (for example, unsigned rookies) without a contract.

ah, i see.

Thats a good question. Rookies take part in OTAs without a contract so as Byner21 says I assume Campbell could. However if he IS shopping himself (or being shopped) then he might want to hold out (or be held out) for risk of injury.

Actually Campbell taking part - or otherwise - in the mini camps might be a very good pointer to his position with regard to being with the Redskins this year.

Perhaps there was an amended deadline for the uncapped year?

Don't think so and all the news was talking about how tenders had to be in that day. Really strange.

Still would like to know if he signed it or not and I don't think there is anyway he practices without some sort of a signed deal because like you said he is risking injury.

Thats a good question. Rookies take part in OTAs without a contract so as Byner21 says I assume Campbell could. However if he IS shopping himself (or being shopped) then he might want to hold out (or be held out) for risk of injury.

Actually Campbell taking part - or otherwise - in the mini camps might be a very good pointer to his position with regard to being with the Redskins this year.

very good point as well, if he ends up not participating in these activities itll definitely be a sign he is being shopped.

on the other hand, im dreading him showing up to these camps and his fan club telling us how good his character is because hes showing up and "being tough" and "fighting hard" and all the other cliche nonsense that keeps this fan base from actually judging his on field performance.

very good point as well, if he ends up not participating in these activities itll definitely be a sign he is being shopped.

on the other hand, im dreading him showing up to these camps and his fan club telling us how good his character is because hes showing up and "being tough" and "fighting hard" and all the other cliche nonsense that keeps this fan base from actually judging his on field performance.

Or the fact that he had the worst OL in the NFL, no running game with a washed up RB, a bad offense and consevative and amazingly predictable playcalling and still put up decent numbers? You know, that "on field performance" you refer to.

Yes, I can see why you wouldnt want to hear that, it completely blows your premise out of the water. You'll just have to deal with the fact that he is probably going to be here, start the entire year and be productive.

I dont really have a dog in this fight, but it's fun poking a stick in here once in a while to rile you guys up. That, and it keeps you from plagueing the other threads with "The Adenda" trolling that turns most of the good threads into crap. So the rest of us can actually talk football there.

And we all know he will be in camp. You guys are grasping at straws so much it's amazing, looking for anyway for him to not be here. JC has (and even you guys have to admit it) been hard working, classy and respectful since being drafted. He'll be the good employee and be here the first day of workouts, if he isnt here earlier doing film study and working on the playbook like he always does.

Unleash the Dragon. :silly:

very good point as well, if he ends up not participating in these activities itll definitely :ols:abe a sign he is being shopped.

Um, I believe you're dreading looking wrong about JC being the starter again this year...:ols:

How in the world could Shanahan, the respected NFL coach, ever bring JC back, and START him?!?

Too funny.

:ols:

Archived