Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Russel Okung pulls Groin can't complete combine drills

Veretax

Russell Okung suffers groin injury, can't finish combine

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 28, 2010 7:34 AM ET

Oklahoma State offensive tackle Russell Okung was off to an impressive start in the scouting combine, putting up the second-most reps in the 225-pound bench press, running the 40-yard dash in 5.17 seconds and generally looking like one of the draft's more athletic offensive lineman.

But an injury stopped Okung from finishing the combine.

Okung tweaked his groin during a drill, and although a combine official described as minor, it was enough to keep him from doing the vertical jump, broad jump, shuttle and three-cone drill.

After suffering the groin injury, Okung worked with a trainer, did some stretching exercises and walked off the field with an ice bag.

More at the thread...

I don't know how serious the injury is, or how long it takes to heal from something like that, but doesn't this cause concern about drafting him instead of another player at #4? What do you guys think?

I've pulled a groin before either during Cross Country or Wrestling, but I can't recall at the time it took the injury to heal. It wasn't fun I tell you that much. It may depend on how severely it was hurt, but given that we are using a zone blocking scheme and lateral movement is crucial... I would think this makes you consider other people at #4 if we stay there.

A "tweak" is far from serious...but now his Pro Day maybe more important. If he is there at 4 he should be our guy...

On another note I've been listning to Sirius NFL radio this morning and the host Ross Tucker said several times that the rumblings around the combine seem to imply STL is REALLY wanting to take Bradford...and that DET and TB would then take the DT's Suh/McCoy so the Skins would have their pick of Tackles....or Clausen...point is the Rams are either sending a major smoke screen or they really want the Oklahoma QB.

A "tweak" is far from serious...but now his Pro Day maybe more important. If he is there at 4 he should be our guy...

On another note I've been listning to Sirius NFL radio this morning and the host Ross Tucker said several times that the rumblings around the combine seem to imply STL is REALLY wanting to take Bradford...and that DET and TB would then take the DT's Suh/McCoy so the Skins would have their pick of Tackles....or Clausen...point is the Rams are either sending a major smoke screen or they really want the Oklahoma QB.

You really ought to add Peyton Manning's picture to your signature and add "...but sometimes it does."

This is to be expected. Tackles only do cone drills, 40 yard dash at the combine. As long at it's not a shoulder injury he will be fine. The fact he lifetd 225, 38 times, and ran the 40 in 5.17 seconds is very impressive. I think skins fans should get use to seeing him in burgandy and gold, especially if Bradford comes to the combine at 236. That proves he can gain weight. That and his shoulder injury are the only things holding Bradford back from being the #1 overall pick.

...doesn't this cause concern about drafting him instead of another player at #4?

No :) it's not like his legs have fallen off.

The more I hear about him the more I like him as our pick. With Bradford gone by the 4th, it's either Okung or try to trade back (which could be tricky), unless the coaches like Clausen as much as they seem to like Bradford.

The more I hear about him the more I like him as our pick. With Bradford gone by the 4th, it's either Okung or try to trade back (which could be tricky), unless the coaches like Clausen as much as they seem to like Bradford.

Kind of like Bradford's arm not falling off? :)

Except at No. 4 you really want as few holes as possible. Does this indicate a conditioning problem? Does it indicate a flexibility problem? Is it just one of those fluke things?

You have to figure out which way. The Redskins have been far too lax in recent years about overlooking injury histories in their signings and it has come back to haunt them over and over again.

Archived