Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Russel Okung pulls Groin can't complete combine drills

Veretax

and who's to say they are saying tweak to help him. Where there is smoke there is fire and it could be worse the a tweak.

The quoted source was, "combine official described as minor." Not an agent, not Okung's trainer, merely a combine official. Someone running the drills/combine for the NFL would have no reason to "help" Okung. In fact, considering they are likely league employees, putting out false information would cause a pretty quick termination.

The problem is, I think its difficult to really tell the severity of a tear/pull/tweak without advanced medical devices. Am I wrong on this? So even if a Trainer on the sideline thought it was minor, he can't be certain without certain diagnostic procedures I believe.

Am I wrong on that?

The problem is, I think its difficult to really tell the severity of a tear/pull/tweak without advanced medical devices. Am I wrong on this? So even if a Trainer on the sideline thought it was minor, he can't be certain without certain diagnostic procedures I believe.

Am I wrong on that?

Sure, they probably can't be certain.

But the great news is, we don't have to make our decision on whether to take him tomorrow. We've got two months to see whether it's a "tweak" or a real problem.

If Okung can't go at his Pro Day on March 10, then maybe this becomes an issue worth talking about. Until then, it's a 320 pound football player pulling a muscle while being asked to perform like a track athlete. In other words, not worth worrying about.

Kind of like Bradford's arm not falling off? :)

:) well if Okung needs to take a year out with surgery they can be compared, but somehow I doubt this will be a problem. On a related note I'd be a lot more worried about Suh breaking down if by some miracle he was available.

I've pulled a groin before either during Cross Country or Wrestling, but I can't recall at the time it took the injury to heal. It wasn't fun I tell you that much. It may depend on how severely it was hurt, but given that we are using a zone blocking scheme and lateral movement is crucial... I would think this makes you consider other people at #4 if we stay there.

I only see this effecting his draft stock if we have him graded out 100% even with another prospect and this is a tie breaker. The fact that he at the combine means the teams are going to get a very good idea of what the severity is. I assume teams will send medical staffs during his pro day as well to check the progress. Complete non issue.

The difference is if you miss on a tackle there is a chance he can move inside to gaurd (Robert Gallery) but if you miss on a QB he is coaching his high school team and watching the games on Sundays from his lving room.

but the possible upside is MUCH bigger on the QB

Except at No. 4 you really want as few holes as possible. Does this indicate a conditioning problem? Does it indicate a flexibility problem? Is it just one of those fluke things?

You have to figure out which way. The Redskins have been far too lax in recent years about overlooking injury histories in their signings and it has come back to haunt them over and over again.

Come on dude. This is a simple groin injury. A simple check reveals Okung has started 46 straight games. Bringing up things like conditioning problems isn't warranted here.

A "tweak" is far from serious...but now his Pro Day maybe more important. If he is there at 4 he should be our guy...

On another note I've been listning to Sirius NFL radio this morning and the host Ross Tucker said several times that the rumblings around the combine seem to imply STL is REALLY wanting to take Bradford...and that DET and TB would then take the DT's Suh/McCoy so the Skins would have their pick of Tackles....or Clausen...point is the Rams are either sending a major smoke screen or they really want the Oklahoma QB.

Then according to Tucker, Berry falls to us. Correct?

If That senario did happen, where Berry fell to us, I think that we would get trade down offers that would be real hard to turn down.

Archived